Tomb Raider 4K UHD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Watched this a couple of weeks back and your review is spot on, picture and sound are very good. The movie itself is ok, I wouldn't give the movie any more than a 6 personally.

As in your review, I thought the London and Hong Kong scenes look brilliant, crystal clear and vibrant.

Tbh, I switched it off after 15 minutes.
Probably just me but it felt a bit plastic.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Watched this for the first time over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised. The film keeps the feel, tone and some of the beats from the first game and I completely bought into Vikander as the rebooted Lara Croft. It was definitely hokey in places, and some of the VFX could have done with a little more work but on the whole it was better and more enjoyable than I was expecting, a solid 7/10 from me.

Picture and sound wise, I agree with the review and have nothing to complain about bar my own lack of an Atmos setup!

Off the back of this I'm looking forward to Lara's next adventure.:D

I always go by the ratings on IMBD as they only go by the film itself minus picture and audio. I have been seeing some high scores. 7 is high for this I would give it a 5 purely of the fact that Lara Croft is supposed to be a bad ass . Not in this i don't understand the timeline, is this supposed to be a prequel? This is not the same Lara Croft that we have seen on screen with Angelina Jolie and in the games kicking ass

My days of watching crap films just to enjoy the picture quality are behind me now. So will be giving this one a miss.
I can still do this, but only if the price is right. There are however limits so Im not sure how much the Last Knight would have to come down before I would even consider buying it.

I always go by the ratings on IMBD as they only go by the film itself minus picture and audio. I have been seeing some high scores. 7 is high for this I would give it a 5 purely of the fact that Lara Croft is supposed to be a bad ass . Not in this i don't understand the timeline, is this supposed to be a prequel? This is not the same Lara Croft that we have seen on screen with Angelina Jolie and in the games kicking ass

It's a film reboot based off the newer games , in fact it uses some of the same set pieces that were in the first game .

As already stated, this will only make sense if you have seen the newer games.

Thanks for the Review Simon - this will be a Rental for me down the Road!

After a late night upgrading firmware on my receiver and Panasonic 820 I chucked in the 4k disc to just see a bit of something before to bed.

It might just be a personal thing but I couldn't stand the initial daddy voice over. It sounded so odd (rumbly and compressed... or warbly) I was convinced the firmware updates had bjorked something but the Blu-ray sounded the same in both my Panasonic bd35 and in my pc (soundcard and speakers using vlc) as well as the flixster streamed version. Guess it was a creative decision which grated on my tired ears. Anyway all that fiddling meant I didn't watch it last night... hopefully will see it this week.

Personally I loved the first new computer game... looking forward to any de ja vu

Hello there, thank you for the nice review.
I'm wondering why the paragraph about picture quality does not include a review of the Dolby Vision aspect of this movie as it is one of the few that is available. I think it would be interesting whether or how it improves the picture.
Also I believe there are movies where it does not have an influence, if it is DV or HDR10, and some where it does, as I imagine in this one there are both very dark as well as very bright scenes (haven't seen the movie, yet). So if there were a sentence or two on this topic it might help people with their next decision when buying new harware.

I still need them every now & then,switch of brain movies,just sit back and enjoy the ride stuff :)

Which is exactly what this movie is. Brain candy, switch off and enjoy the ride.
I really enjoyed it, a fun movie.

Hello there, thank you for the nice review.
I'm wondering why the paragraph about picture quality does not include a review of the Dolby Vision aspect of this movie as it is one of the few that is available. I think it would be interesting whether or how it improves the picture.
Also I believe there are movies where it does not have an influence, if it is DV or HDR10, and some where it does, as I imagine in this one there are both very dark as well as very bright scenes (haven't seen the movie, yet). So if there were a sentence or two on this topic it might help people with their next decision when buying new harware.
The Panasonic DX902 doesn't support DV. The only way you could do this would be to get a DV supported TV then use two disc players where one doesn't support DV, use two copies of the disc, play them simultaneously and switch between inputs.

An implausibly complicated way of finding out that ultimately, it doesn't really make much difference.

I still need them every now & then,switch of brain movies,just sit back and enjoy the ride stuff :)
Definitely a place for those sort of films, but I think those sort of films have improved enough to relegate these sort of films to the never watch pile, if that makes sense. For instance the fast and furious films from 5 on would be in the enjoyable nonsense category for me. But they're are technically so well done and self aware that they end up being excellent entertainment.

The Panasonic DX902 doesn't support DV. The only way you could do this would be to get a DV supported TV then use two disc players where one doesn't support DV, use two copies of the disc, play them simultaneously and switch between inputs.

An implausibly complicated way of finding out that ultimately, it doesn't really make much difference.
Well I guess the best way would be to have two sets of identical DV TV + DV player, set one to HDR10 and one with to DV and play two copies of the movie simultaneously.
I admit, that it is quite tiring, but anyway interesting. And of course if after 10 promising movies it shows only little to no difference, then it could be discarded again. Or some correlations could be found, like "DV only benefits in case of an overall large usage of green areas..." :)

Watched this tonight, kept me entertained, felt like I was watching a real life action of the latest computer games, which I suppose I was doing.

A solid 6.5/10 for me.

Don’t go expecting a great storyline though, if you’ve got a capable system, no doubt you will get more enjoyment than others that don’t.

Just watched the Blu-ray version and I really enjoyed it!

Also, anyone else think the start of the film was very 'Dark Angel' inspired?

And the final credits a bit Bond like?

Cheers, Dave C.

Watched it with the Mrs and we both had fun. We were expecting brainless and were pleasantly surprised by some of the charming sequences (bike race), and also the humanity of Lara (the "you have to be kidding me") who came across as a human being rather than one dimensional action hero some of the time. Even the throw-away bit in the kitchen was quite cute!

To be fair a lot of the fun was calling out how stupid the characters were and why on earth they were doing something so daft ;-)

I read the US box office performance was low (though internationally it was ok) which apparently will sink a sequel with the same actress which is a shame. Paying £25 for a 4k version must help sort that out a bit... Having seen it, I'd have been happy with the Bluray or waiting a few months for a cheaper price to be honest, it was ultimate a one-watch forgettable film.

Also, anyone else think the start of the film was very 'Dark Angel' inspired?

It's mostly inspired by the 2013 reboot game Tomb Raider. Some of the sequences in the game are directly referenced in the movie.

It was ok but also disappointing the story in the game is much better Lara brings Mathias a descendant of Himiko to put her soul into, And the 'no one leaves' bit wasn't explored in the film.

I wasn't a big fun of the Angelina Jolie version, but i pretty enjoyed this one!
After watching the trailer still thought Alicia Vikander might not be the best choice, but it turned out well during the movie. I liked the way she acted and brought Lara Croft to (new)life. Felt like the recent video game. (last year and the year before)

Technically the Blu-ray image and the sound is demo material without doubt. If you own good speakers and TV/proejctor will be blown away! :)

I enjoyed the movie. But did feel it lacked some scale at the end. I would have liked the tomb to have some grand scale to it rather than just dark corridors. Otherwise I think they captured the recent games rather well.

I wish they'd kept the group of friends on the boat from the game though rather than her dad. I felt his presence weakened things. And there were a few set pieces from the game that would have been good here - such as the climb up the massive radio tower or the cable cars.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom