Tom Tom Go 910 - is it any good?!

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by cowgirl, Apr 24, 2007.

1. cowgirl

cowgirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about getting a TT Go 910 - am not so much interested in the Europe and world maps but mainly those for the UK. Am also interested in how good the safety camera detection is, having gained a few points of late! Anyone got any views? :)

2. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    I for one love my 910, but you may find people who dont. I admit you have to reset the TomTom a few times (about once a month) but i can live with that. The Pros far outway the Cons IMHO.

If you only need the maps and dont need the harddrive functionality (for music playing etc) then get the 510, it is cheaper.

There are loads on both units in the forum so do a search and decide on which one is for you.

Here is a good start for ALL satnavs :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408909

3. stewart

stewart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 910 too and mine is also a bit quirky at times. 9 times out of 10 it gets you were you need to be but when it sends you down dead ends, narrow lanes and the like it can grate a bit. Its not infallible and wont find every single place you want but I would be quite literally lost without mine as I drive about 1500 miles a week. The hard drive on the 910 is quite useful as there is now an FM docking mount for it so you can play tunes thru the car stereo. Having said that it doesn't work that well in my opinion but thats another story. The TT one is just as good also and even cheaper than the 510!

4. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +582
    I'm looking at getting one of these units, either the 910 or 710. I don't really need the extra stuff of the 910 (USA, Canada maps and mp3 player), but the prices aren't that much different - all seem to be 250 to 290 quid on the net.

Since i'm not bothered about 20 or 30 quid difference, i was going to get the 910, but is this re-setting / freezing more common than on the 710 ? Is is related to hard drive operation rather than memory card of the 710 ?

I'm now tempted by the 710 for reliability reasons. They both seem to be the same size and battery life.

Thoughts please !

MB

5. Simon3119

Simon3119

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I have the 710 that came with the TMC/RDS receiver.

Living in Germany the unit works really well, no dead ends yet. I have used it the UK and the TMC only picked up the traffic info twice on a journey from Harwich to Salisbury, luckily there were no jams.

In Europe the TMC works most of the time and the info is pretty much up to date.

The traffic camera database is a bit hit and miss Europe wise, some that are listed as speed cameras are in fact cameras to collect the tolls from lorries but on the whole its pretty accurate.

The speed information regarding a particular roads max. speed is useful when no speed limits are posted.

Tomtom home which is the software you need for updating your device can be a pain, sometimes not recognising the device but it makes it easier to get the latest updates although having to delete all the camera database to reinstall the new ones can take time.

The only other thing to say is to try and find what version of the maps is on the device and whether a free update is available.

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,198
    I'm loving my TT910...Haven't had any of the resetting need that people are discussing here, then again I use mine vanilla as it came out of the box...

Sure it could send you down a one way street, but that is not unique to the TT910 that is a 'feature' of all sat nav devices...Just depends on the map data...

I'm really impressed with the mount, how quick it locks to satellites, how good the screen is, and the speed camera's were even reported on a small road along lake garda last weekend!

I didn't care about the hard drive etc either...But what makes it a must buy over the 710 is the ability to read out street names! Thought it was a gimmick at first, but it is actually really good!

I also like how it reads out my text messages, is a good handfree kit in my car etc....Definitely a must buy at the current prices...