Tom & Jerry

OneEyedStuart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5271470.stm

Well there you go the Marge's of this world are amongst us.

T & J have to be one of the best cartoons form our younger years, I mind many a time weeping with pure joy. To edit these classics is a sin. Reminds me of...

"They love and share
They love and love and share !
Love, love, love !
Share, share, share !
The Itchy and Scratchy ( and Poochie ) Show ! "

What next no Road Runner with exploding Acme Cyotes ?

KH

All because ONE person complained

Its like the comment about Elton John swearing "10 people" complained... what about the other countless numbers that just rode with it!?! This country is pathetic!

Ted Turner has been censoring and altering cartoons for years.
T&J have were edited for racisism 20 years ago.
Bugs bunny too.

Loads of cartoons have been totally supressed for racial stereotypes.

All This And Rabbit Stew
Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips
Education fo death
Red Hot Riding Hood
Coal Black And De Sebben Dwarfs

and my personal fav.
Der Fuehrer's face

to name but a few.

I have a multi disc set of DVD's R3 that have all episodes uncut, so pooh to Ted Turner with highly polished knobs on!

It seems you can't do anything these days without someone complaining.

But to worry about the thoughts of a handful of people is sad. If it was tens of thousands complaining about all these things then perhaps you could back the authorities up in their decisions. But to change things because 10 people complained is just plain silly.

The world is turning into a very sanitised place.

Xusia Of Delos said:
I have a multi disc set of DVD's R3 that have all episodes uncut, so pooh to Ted Turner with highly polished knobs on!
I think you will find at least three of the cartoons are still cut

1) removal of Mammy in Puss 'n' Toots & the chinaman on record player shot.

2) Saturday Evening Puss is the one that has been re-animated to replace Mammy two shoes with a skinny white woman

3) In His Mouse Friday, the visuals are intact but the cannibals' voices have been muted (their lips still move though)"

indianwells said:
But it's fine for the gratuitous violence?I don't get these PC Nazis.:confused:
Actually T&J were lifted altogether for a short while in the 70's and again in the 80's due to that same gratuitous violence thanks to complaints by the 'Whitehouse brigade'. They also had Bill and Ben banned (landed in the same flowerpot so accused by Whitehouse of being 'gay icons') and Andy Pandy was banned too (too effeminate). Nazi’s is right, not sure they could be accused of being 'PC' though.

pjclark1 said:
I think you will find at least three of the cartoons are still cut

1) removal of Mammy in Puss 'n' Toots:

2) Saturday Evening Puss is the one that has been re-animated to replace Mammy two shoes with a skinny white woman

3) In His Mouse Friday, the visuals are intact but the cannibals' voices have been muted (their lips still move though)"

I'll check on these. But as far as I'm aware there are no cuts. Mammy Two Feet appear in several of the cartoons thats I've seen so far. Cannibals, Tar Babies and all other racial stereotypes are all present and correct.

Xusia Of Delos said:
I'll check on these. But as far as I'm aware there are no cuts. Mammy Two Feet appear in several of the cartoons thats I've seen so far. Cannibals, Tar Babies and all other racial stereotypes are all present and correct.

I suspect the coloured lady in the "Saturday evening puss" was replaced as she just didn't fit in with the series. She was more like "Beyonce" than a "maid" and she seemed to own the house, rather than work in it.

snapshot20060825193738rd7.jpg
snapshot20060825193858gv5.jpg

The censorship seemed too happen in two distinct waves. In the 50s they started cutting shots showing racial stereotypes (chinaman, indian, sambo) from the cartoons, then later in the 60s Chuck Jones reworked the art to remove "mammy two shoes" (just my opinion)

Warners have now replaced the edited discs in The Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection Volume 1 & 2 (Region 1) with completely uncensored prints. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom