Tom & Jerry - Disturbing news if true...

You can all see the scenes that are missing from the various Tom and Jerry cartoons here

Tom & Jerry Censorship

A friend of mine bought the Volume 2 collection from Amazon at Christmas and it contained the uncensored discs. The disc exchange scheme had been going for several months by this time.

However the exchange scheme for Volume 1 has only been going for a couple of weeks so highly unlikely they would have exhausted existing stock of the dodgy sets at Amazon or other dealerships.

UPDATE!Great news! Warners in the USA have finally begun to issue the replacement Disc1 for the censored disc in The Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection Volume 1. :clap:

I received both replacement discs for the censored Volume 2 set last year, ...

pjclark1 said:
You can all see the scenes that are missing from the various Tom and Jerry cartoons here

Excuse the possibly quite stupid question, but, am I to understand that the uncensored Tom & Jerry cartoons are finally available on DVD. And if so, which edition?

EDIT: Just read the latest posts on this thread. Looks like the R1 Spotlight Collection is it :)
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128237&page=4

The Spotlight collections have avoided publishing the most contentious T&J cartoons. I suspect they will never be available uncut.

OK, I haven't bought either yet, because of the censorship issues, so I guess it's just a matter of waiting for a bit longer.

The Spotlight collections have avoided publishing the most contentious T&J cartoons. I suspect they will never be available uncut.

Tx.
Small point of interest. On the Spotlight editions, can you skip through or avoid entirely the "introduction by Wopee Goldberg", or are you forced to sit through it before getting to the cartoons?

If I was to purchase this now and it contained the censored version - how exactly would I go about getting the disc exchanged for the uncensored one? :lease:

The Digital Bits have published a 1-800 number, but apparently you can be on hold for quite a while which costs when calling from outside the USA.

Last year when the Volume 2 replacements were being issued, I contacted Warners via their website and a very nice lady on there handled the replacements for me.

Took about three weeks from first contact to receiving the discs.

Just e-mailed again last night regarding Volume 1 and am awaiting a reply.

A friend of mine bought the Volume 2 collection from Amazon at Christmas and it contained the uncensored discs. The disc exchange scheme had been going for several months by this time.

However the exchange scheme for Volume 1 has only been going for a couple of weeks so highly unlikely they would have exhausted existing stock of the dodgy sets at Amazon or other dealerships.

After all this time they still need to replace the discs for the R1 sets. They should have never been cut in the first place.
They wouldnt cut anything out of a 17th century master piece, why do it to a great classic cartoon.

Looks like I will have to continue to settle with my bootlegs from ebay.

When will we know that the 1st of the spotlight collection is gonna be safe to buy completely uncut?

tris

Lot of talk on same subject so merged, look at the post topic to follow one line of a thread if confused.

I emailed amazon.com last night about,asking if the stock they carried featured the cut discs or not, and received this reply this morning.

Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I see that the problem on these discs has been corrected and our
fullfillment centeres have the new items in stock.

However, if you do need to contact us in the future, you may send us
an e-mail via this online form:

I emailed amazon.com last night about,asking if the stock they carried featured the cut discs or not, and received this reply this morning.

Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I see that the problem on these discs has been corrected and our
fullfillment centeres have the new items in stock.

However, if you do need to contact us in the future, you may send us
an e-mail via this online form:

Was that relating to Vol 1, Vol 2, or both?

So am I correct in assuming, if we were to now buy this new, we would get the uncensored versions of both Vol 1 and Vol 2?

I'd be interested to know that too.

Was that relating to Vol 1, Vol 2, or both?

I'v emailed Warner US Customer service to get replacements for both volumes.

As the purchase of these was literally years ago I dont expect many retailers to honour a replacement---they will direct you to Warner.

How long should I wait?

Annoyed to find that even though Million Dollar Cat is included on the R1 collection,that still leaves me 2 cartoons short from the R2 set

Thats great news!! When do you think I'll get a replacement for my copy of Pearl Harbour.....? You know, the one with the Japanese fighter pilots put back in? Also can't wait to see The Longest Day with restored Germans.

Nice one mate been laughing for the past 5 minutes, great stuff.

I bought the R1 Volume 2 collection from Amazon.com a week ago and it also contains the uncensored discs.
Thanks to the_pauley and others for the pertinent information in getting these. I have wanted the uncensored Tom & Jerry cartoons ever since I started buying VHS tapes nearly twenty years ago.

One point of interest is the "health warning" on the box. It warns that Tom & Jerry cartoons may not be suitable for children :rolleyes:
What a world we live in...:rolleyes:

Update.

Received the replacement disc for the Volume 1 collection today! Didn't need to post off the cut disc either, just gave them my order details from Amazon and they sent the replacement just as they did with the Superman discs!

All uncut at last. Warner Brothers is a top company!

Now... where is Volume 3?

I bought the R1 Volume 2 collection from Amazon.com a week ago and it also contains the uncensored discs.
Thanks to the_pauley and others for the pertinent information in getting these. I have wanted the uncensored Tom & Jerry cartoons ever since I started buying VHS tapes nearly twenty years ago.

Spotlight Collection 1 as sold by Amazon.com still contains the cuts
Spotlight Collection 2 as sold by Amazon.com is now uncut (original audio tracks).

If you buy the double pack, you get cuts on collection 1.

Check the dates for yourselves
TOM AND JERRY SPOTLIGHT COLLECTION: VOLUME 1 [DISC 1]
Cut: 8/25/04 - 6:57PM - 6.77GB (The Milky Waif, The Truce Hurts, The Little Orphan all have video cuts))
Uncut: 12/30/06 - 4:13AM - 6.79GB

TOM AND JERRY SPOTLIGHT COLLECTION: VOLUME 2 [DISC 1]
Audio Change: 9/12/05 - 7:33PM - 7.61GB (The Lonesome Mouse, Mammys voice is redubbed)
Original: 12/7/05 - 6:31PM - 7.61GB

TOM AND JERRY SPOTLIGHT COLLECTION: VOLUME 2 [DISC 2]
Audio Change: 9/13/05 - 3:22PM - 5.81GB (Saturday Evening Puss, Nit-Witty Kitty Mammys voice redubbed)
Original: 12/8/05 - 5:39PM - 5.81GB

It's probably still to early for the existing stocks of Collection 1 to have disappeared from the retailers, but just do what I did, buy it and get the replacement disc from Warner. Took just a couple of weeks after the e-mail to them and I didn't even have to return the censored disc.

This seems to be the experience of other UK customers that have had replacements from the company. The Freepost envelope is only valid in the USA, so they just send you the replacement disc to the UK without you having to send back the faulty one.

Had both T&J collections and the two discs from the big Superman tin replaced in this way too.

Good customer service.

So, I have gotten myself pretty confused in all this, so just a couple of questions to clear this up.

I obviously would like to buy the uncut versions of the tom and jerry cartoons

Do I buy both seperately from amazon or elseware?
R1 or R2?
Basically whats my(and other members) best bet?
And the best way to go about it if one of the discs do contain cuts?

tris

Forget R2 releases - they are cut to pieces.

Collection 2 (R1) now seems to be shipping from Amazon.com in uncut format.

Collection 1 (R1) is (at time of the last posts) still cut, so you buy it from Amazon and get the replacement disc from Warner.

Anyone have an email address for warner?
I tried contacting them through their website and was just ignored.

PS
As far as I can see the Spotlight collection is not any better than the UK release. Quality of many of the cartoons is just poor. Very dissappointing.

PPS
There are also interlacing problems on some of the cartoons, Spotlight collection is a disgrace.

Yes, On one of their recent webcasts on the AVS Forums the Warners crew responsible for the classic back catalogue material (including the superb Looney Tunes collections) expressed their disappointment with the quality of these releases and the cock ups with the wrong prints being used.

They stated that for some strange reason they were not given the task of restoring and releasing these, rather the project was given over to the Children's DVD department at Warners, and voila...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom