Tom Cruise Appreciation thread

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
He does not get mentioned much if at all here, so let me start. Yes he's made some boo boo's regarding his faith in public, and jumping around like a loon on Oprah Winfrey show. But lately he has toned down the preaching, probably a quiet word from his friends and stayed out the limelight. So forget his own beliefs, this is about his movies.

Hate or love him, he has provided the industry with some great entertaining films, from Top Gun, Collateral, Last Samurai, Magnolia, The Color of Money, Minority Report, and many more... Also he has plenty off time for his fans on premier nights as seen in the London visits, and spends quite a while signing autographs and chatting, at the Last Samurai premier, he promised sign his autograph for all fans should they want it.

This a great video montage in celebration of 25 yrs since making Risky Business (1983) back in May this year, and 27 years overall in the movie industry as one off the most influential actors' in the world, undeniably, a movie star.

Check out the video on his website here.

You forgot Jerry Maguire! :D

Sorry but I don't rate him as an actor. I quite enjoyed Legend in it's time but I doubt he contributed that much to it. A Few Good Men was very good but I'd repeat the same comment as before. After that I liked the First Mission Impossible dispite a poor ending. Don't get me started on MI2 which was a terrible remake of Hitchcock's Notorious.

Cheers
Bri

Sorry but I don't rate him as an actor. I quite enjoyed Legend in it's time but I doubt he contributed that much to it. A Few Good Men was very good but I'd repeat the same comment as before. After that I liked the First Mission Impossible dispite a poor ending. Don't get me started on MI2 which was a terrible remake of Hitchcock's Notorious.

Cheers
Bri

Yeah movie star does not always mean great actor.

I think he has done some good roles in terms of acting very well, when not doing summer blockbusters. Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July were all interesting.

I do like Tom Cruise, not sure if he'll win any Oscars? (has he?) but it's kinda like the actors version of easy listening LOL

The main guy in Never Back Down looks the spitting image of TC!

Sean Faris is his name.

Liam

The only film I liked him in was Born On The Forth of July. A Few Good Men was good, and I like the Mission Impossible movies. Vanilla Sky was awful, and I like the original version of that too. Minority Report could've been good, had it be played straight without the comedy (I guess it's a Spielberg movie after all!). How could a top cop not realise why he'd kill a man he didn't know, after his son had be abducted? Dumb!

Notice how the posters for his film are usually a just big shot of his head!

I like a lot of his films. He should do a remake of 'One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest' :D

A Few Good Men
Another excellent film and an inspiration to all budding lawyers :D
and I like the Mission Impossible movies
I read that people muse once he gets himself right, he will do MI4... (properly)
Notice how the posters for his film are usually a just big shot of his head!
Next you will accuse him of wearing high heels to appear taller in his films :rolleyes:

I really like tom cruise and he's done some cracking films. Ok he may have had help with some, with excellent supporting actors and great/cool action. But I think most of us could mention at least 5 films that we like, or at least could happily sit down and watch, couldn't we ?. (Sense I am about to proved wrong :suicide:)

I like a lot of his films. He should do a remake of 'One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest' :D

You have got to joking surely?

Can you tell me one thing wrong with Danny DeVito's original performance please?:rotfl:

I really like tom cruise and he's done some cracking films. Ok he may have had help with some, with excellent supporting actors and great/cool action. But I think most of us could mention at least 5 films that we like, or at least could happily sit down and watch, couldn't we ?. (Sense I am about to proved wrong :suicide:)

Check my earlier post. I came up with three I quite like dispite him.:)

Regards
Bri

For me he is an idiot in real life, and often makes a fool of himself.

And in the past he has made the odd dodgy film, but in recent years I think he has been one of the Top 3 actors in Hollywood.

If you haven't seen his performance in Magnolia, then watch it soon. I think its the best thing he has ever done.

If you haven't seen his performance in Magnolia, then watch it soon. I think its the best thing he has ever done.

agreed, but i think the whole movie is a total master piece anyways...

for the record though, i really like tom Cruise in all his films and would never not watch a movie because of his personal beliefs.....

I found Magnolia to be borderline unwatchable...it was boring. Sure it was an "actor's" film and the performances were good but it was not entertainment for me.

He does not get mentioned much if at all here, so let me start. Yes he's made some boo boo's regarding his faith in public, and jumping around like a loon on Oprah Winfrey show. But lately he has toned down the preaching, probably a quiet word from his friends and stayed out the limelight. So forget his own beliefs, this is about his movies.

He generally know how to pick films I even like some of his films that get panned War of the Worlds had its share of critics but found it enjoyable.

Sorry to go off topic but.
As to the quote on one hand dislike his association with what I class as a cult group, and his very silly comments of Brooke Shields depression which I think he later retracted??????. But on the other I much admire him for his treatment of fans, and probably treats them better than any other star. I also admire him standing up to the idiot who squirted him with water.

I really like him in most things he does, as an action hero and a serious actor. Thought he was outstanding in Born on the Fourth of July and Magnolia.

i think he has provided us with some top flicks.
his personal beliefs his his, and i wouldn't judge him for them.

top films (IMO)
Legend, nice fantasy
Top Gun, good action
Minority Report, really good sci fi.
MI3, best of the bunch.
Cocktail...well i like it (music is ace)
Colour of Money, just superb.
War of the Worlds, enjoyable popcorn flick.
Magnolia, fantastic film, nice easy pace great story.

S

I still enjoy the last samurai, it challenges me
MI 1 was good too
and I think he was outstanding as a (not a hero) in war of the worlds.
Ive tried twice to get started on lions and lambies but so far havnt got past 10mins

the problem is that he has been taught that they,(the sect) hold all the answers to all the worlds problems and it is thier duty to let the world know they do.
he is wrong, us Christains do.......:rolleyes:
dont bother hitting on the Christains I was just joking...or .........:suicide:

Personally I do not care about Scientology... in fact I could not care less about the personal life of any star full stop

But then again I suppose I do not speak as one of those who read gossip pages... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't regard myself as a Tom Cruise fan but I do enjoy a lot of his movies .... even ones with raining frogs. I don't even mind stuff like Far and Away, despite my hatred of Hollywood Oirish blarney. Whatever else his sins/errors are he did make Risky Business and that does feature Rebekah DeMorney (sp?), so he has a bit of leeway as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I would go as far as saying that I can't currently think of one of his movies I don't at least not mind watching but then I liked the remake of Vanilla Sky so what do I know? Will Smith I dislike and pretty much try and avoid and Tom Hanks ..... you have to be careful with as I feel he's sometimes too smaltzy. I also have little time for Leonardo DeCrapio, whatever people think of his acting chops.

I guess if I went on IMDB right now and scanned through his filmography I might be able to pick a film I would actively choose not to see but from memory I can't.

didnt you even like Leonardo DeCrapio in the departed.?????

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom