Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (Amazon Prime) Movie Review & Comments

Just finished watching it, you’re as generous with the 5/10 Cas as I was with my 3/10.
I’m sure it’s mainly filmed in the dark to distract us from the incomprehensible plot.
I think it’s an abject mess of a movie and a waste of decent talent on show.

Without Remorse (2021)

1619784091089.png

"I'll show them what a pawn can do to a king..."

Stefano Sollima's delayed new thriller finally arrives, and after being initially disappointed in the lack of a cinema release, it turns out that it was perfectly suited for streaming. In terms of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan character, the movie adaptations have been a little hit or miss, but I was hoping this new thriller would be part of a shared 'Ryanverse' with John Krasinski's latest incarnation (it isn't as far as I can see). I haven't read Tom Clancy's novel which this is based on, so regardless of how faithful this is or isn't, I can only review it in terms of a movie.
It's begins with a grim setup as Navy Seal John Kelly is set of a path of vengeance following the murder of his pregnant wife, and uncovers an international conspiracy...
Michael B Jordan's rise to mega stardom continues with his portrayal of new action hero John Kelly. Jordan is certainly a fine actor, having delivered some terrific work in Creed, Black Panther and Fruitvale station in particular. He very much makes Kelly his own thing, and his physicality alone looks the part. I've enjoyed the previous screen version of him in Clear And Present Danger (but as John Clark, not Kelly)when Willem Dafoe brought his complicated character to life, but Leiv Schreiber in The Sum Of All Fears was very forgettable. There's no danger of that with Jordan's version, as his battle hardened, tortured soul takes centre stage. His presence elevates things when it threatens to veer dangerously close to being a little too generic. There's a decent enough cast attached to this too, with the likes of Jamie Bell (rocking a US accent)and Guy Pearce as suits who's allegiance always feel as if they could go either way...Jodi Turner-Smith also impresses as a military ally of Jordan's.
The plot doesn't waste any time, particularly with it's taut first act, and moves swiftly forward to where it unfortunately stalls a little in the finale. In terms of the combat sequences, a lot reminded me of recent Netflix effort Extraction (no bad thing), and there's some impressive set pieces among the more standard shootouts, including an ambitious water based one that must have blown the budget. Shades of Mission Impossible with that, but definitely more of Bourne retread overall if we're making comparisons. There's also what must rate as a cinematic first in terms of an interrogation...
There's much talk of a 'fourth man' which had me chuckling as that very scenario builds to a crescendo in Sunday's Line Of Duty finale.
Sollima's last film as director was the Sicario sequel, and unfortunately the end result here is similar - never less than entertaining, but not quite enough meat on it's bones. The screenplay was little too predictable in parts too, but I could live with it - just. I'm surprised to see the mighty Taylor Sheridan's moniker attached to this though.
Amazon's HDR is pretty good on this, and whilst it's not reference quality, it's still worth mentioning.
I'd happily see Jordan return in another instalment (and there's a franchise baiting post credits scene for Tom Clancy fans), but that'll likely not happen anytime soon as he's set for a third turn as Adonis Creed, and a new take on the Man Of Steel...

7/10

Last edited:
I liked you shoehorning as many segal films as possible in the review, but are you not on deadly ground by doing that. 🤣

Ill probably give this a watch as a 5 can be watchable.

And if there is enough action with decent effects, after a few drinks i can ask myself "are you not entertained?" 🤣

Even if it is steven segals twin or john wick lite

Aaargh! So disappointed reading this review. It's admittedly harsher than some I have read, but I was averaging out it being a just about 7/10 propped up by a real 'superstar' carrying the movie performance by Michael B' Jordan.

Still...I'll watch it tonight and see what I think.

Aaargh! So disappointed reading this review. It's admittedly harsher than some I have read, but I was averaging out it being a just about 7/10 propped up by a real 'superstar' carrying the movie performance by Michael B' Jordan.

Still...I'll watch it tonight and see what I think.
It was almost the very definition of a 7/10 movie for me. It did pretty much 'what it says on the tin'. Very much a high profile streaming release, nothing more. Think I might have felt a little short changed if I'd have made a cinema visit though...

Yeah I'd still watch it @scrowe, and thank me after. There's no doubt the review will set you up to enjoy it by baselining your expectations.

As @Drax1 says it's a high profile streaming release, nothing more.

Unfortunately, I avoided the trailer, stayed away from the early reviews, and maintained the fact that Jordan and Sheridan + Clancy's original novel, all made outside Amazon but bought by them, would go down an absolute treat.

If this had been another Extraction - i.e. zero expectations, no source material, no standards you're pitting it against - I'd have likely enjoyed it more and would have maybe even given it a "Netflix 7" but it's the Tom Clancy's that hit me hard with this one.

So hopefully you'll go in now with a level playing field, hell an obliterated playing field, and enjoy it for everything that I simply couldn't enjoy it for: a generic but modestly entertaining Friday night straight-to-streaming release.

Cas you are 2 for 2 in spoiling my weekend movie viewing after this and the Virtuoso review.

Trying to decide whether i take the gamble and still watch either or both, or try and find something else to watch instead.

Cas you are 2 for 2 in spoiling my weekend movie viewing after this and the Virtuoso review.

Trying to decide whether i take the gamble and still watch either or both, or try and find something else to watch instead.

Without Remorse all the way. It's generic but it's not an offensive movie.

Only reason to watch Virtuoso is to play some kind of drinking game, probably related to the voiceover throughout the movie and whether it not it makes the titular character look like an increasingly incompetent moron.

Could probably play drinking games in both.

Thanks Cas - Looks like we can spend 2 hours of our life watching something else more enjoyable.

I wouldn't prioritise it, but as I've said, the moderated expectations might make it a pleasant enough throwaway flick for a rainy day (as this is turning out to be). Defo divorce yourself from the Tom Clancy's at the beginning though, and expect it to be every bit as generic as a title like Without Remorse sounds. It's one word short of Seagal's prime.

I must be mellowing in my old age as quite enjoyed it for what it was . Can certainly tell it had a decent budget thrown at it in its production . Would probably be better served if it didn't have the Tom Clancy handle attached to it .

Last edited:
I must be mellowing in my old age as quite enjoyed it for what it was . Can certainly tell it had a decent budget thrown at it in its production . Would probably be better served if it didn't have the Tom Clancey handle attached to it .

This x INFINITY.

The goddamn swines have forced Cas' hand to a 5. A bloody 5. When the novel of Without Remorse is a cast iron 10 all day long.

It'll take a while for them to receive my forgiveness for this one.

We were going to watch it tonight, and “were” looking forward to it (there being a bit of a dearth of decent action films presently)......still going to watch it, but might have a few more glasses of “review improver” before watching.

Hilarious review, but how disappointing that the movie isn’t up to much as the book is fantastic as is the character. Ironically it’s actually a pretty compact story that one would think would translate to the screen more easily that any other Clancy book without needing to be mucked about with too much.

Still going to watch it.

Why not actually have made the book? It wouldn't have been that difficult and then you've got a stonker of a story as well that everyone would have been buzzing off.

6/10

Minus 1 for using Tom Clancy’s title and character names.

Ok, the good news is that it is a half-decent generic action thriller. Michael B. Jordan is a real deal action star. The plot is very generic, the script a little bit better, or at least sold better by the actors. The action was OK, albeit these days not a whole lot more than what you get on every few episodes of SEAL Team. It’s not a waste of time if you like your action movies.

But, in line with @Casimir Harlow review, it just has nothing to do with Tom Clancy. Nothing in terms of the story or characterisations relate to the book of the title or the character. It’s truly disappointing, another wasted opportunity, for a franchise that promises better than the average. I’m not as angry about it, in terms of how Cas sees it, and what I saw was better than any Seagal or Van Damme movie I ever saw, with the exception of Under Siege.

But because the final act was a bit sub-par and uninspired I’m dropping to a 6.5 out of 10.

Why not actually have made the book? It wouldn't have been that difficult and then you've got a stonker of a story as well that everyone would have been buzzing off.
I think @Casimir Harlow explains the reason in the review. Unresolved rights issues.

I think @Casimir Harlow explains the reason in the review. Unresolved rights issues.
I don’t understand how that allows them to use the name of the book and characters, and TC’s name, but not the story. i could understand if it was the other way around.

I don’t understand how that allows them to use the name of the book and characters, and TC’s name, but not the story. i could understand if it was the other way around.

It is ridiculous. As has been highlighted already it should have just lost the Clancy name and been called something else. No need to tie it to that world.

Particularly irks me as it's one of my favourite books.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom