Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan Season 1 Review & Comments

I wasn't convinced by the less then action Jack at the beginning, but it actually worked very well in the end. They used his geek vs former Marine persona very well.

I'm surprised they didn't run this story into season 2. It had the legs to go further given that it was only 8 episodes

Absolutely brilliant probably the best series I seen all year even Goliath which has been my favorite on Prime got watched over a number of weeks but this and with interruptions from visitors I started on Sunday and ended up watching the last episode when I normally turn in I was that gripped.
There were a couple of things which I did find funny, one being why was that internet game stuck on the wall of the CIA conference room and of all thing when they knew
they been contacting the terrorist via games did they go and give the child access to the internet, which was dead obvious soon as the child got it she was going to spill the beans they were in America, which in turn spoilt there covert attack.
I did also twig that they would drug the drugs they were giving to the prisoners to infect them.
I wondered why Jack was so off hand with the person smuggler even if he hated him and showed it which could have made him less cooperative.
Entertainment score 100/100
Critical evaluation 91/100

Of all things Im reading an historical novel of a true pivotal event in the 16th century when the Ottoman Empire was trying to conquer Europe lead by Suleiman I/Suleiman the Magnificent.

finished this last night, definitely onto a winner here if they can keep the pace and interpersonal relationships running throughout, nice to see a bit of humour here and there too.

again though, I cant stress this enough, if this looked fantastic on my great but flawed 2015 OLED and can only imagine how sumptuous this looks on newer OLEDs.

defo worth a 9/10

Six episodes in now and enjoying every minute.

The fast pace and crazy characters keeps the momentum going.

Finished it last night, I was gutted when I found out that IMDB's listing of "16 episodes" includes 8 that we won't see until next year :confused:

Really enjoyed this series. I've read quite a few Jack Ryan books over the years and the producers have managed to capture the essence of the character of Jack Ryan. They have also managed to update the politics quite well and even included elements from one of the books
The ebola virus was a huge plot line in Executive Orders.
Also nice to see the episodes wrapped up, rather than going for the cliche cliffhanger.

Also nice to see the episodes wrapped up, rather than going for the cliche cliffhanger.

I'm glad of that as well if there's one thing that I hate it's cliffhangers at the end of a series, it's happened to many times that they've then gone and canceled the show and left it hanging, it's so bloody annoying.

Superb series... Just watched this over two days... Pacing, style. I'm really liking what John Krasinski is doing at the moment.. It also looks and sounds stunning on my LG 55B7 OLED.

Attachments

• DSC_0466.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 58
For some reason I couldn't select Atmos on Ep4, only on the first 3 episodes

First two episodes are really good but then it's very generic how is he going to get away this week formulaic.

Watched 6 and can't be bothered with last two, started iron Fist instead.

Yeah, I’d watched the first three last weekend, though they were great.

After all the praise I had really high hopes, watched another couple last night. It’s good, but it’s nothing particularly groundbreaking.

I’ll watch the rest, but from the earlier reviews and posts I was expecting something fantastic.

You know I never ever thought about Jack Ryan being in The Hunt For Red October till this show came out and I read about it! Haven’t seen it yet, may do later because the character in Red October was great.

Definitely worth a watch.

3 episodes to go and so far its been absolutley superb, episode 3 i was actually shouting at the tv and thats something I never do.

I enjoyed it but it suffers by comparison with others. Fauda has a real world feel, Homeland intelligent dialogue and 24 fast paced action. I didn’t see any thing so engrossing here though it was entertaining. I guess not everything can be the best of the best but it was still watchable if a bit cliched.

Timothy Hutton and the internal wrangling was underused.

I assume i missed something but what
was the point of the Drone pilot story arc, it didn't appear to overlap with the main story, but i assume i missed something

Good question. I assumed there was going to be some sort of payoff, but there wasn’t one that I could see. That bit was all rather pointless.

was the point of the Drone pilot story arc, it didn't appear to overlap with the main story, but i assume i missed something
I thought it was going somewhere maybe them being kidnapped but could be showing on one side they were regretting what they were doing and the other side are better than they're often not credited for.

Well there’s regretting what you’ve done but
regretting what you’ve done and travelling to Syria with a bag of money to give it to someone who may or may not be the father of someone you killed seemed a bit ridiculous to me

I guess maybe
it is a intro story for the next series, either that or there was a pay off and they bottled it due not fear of negative reaction from the US market.

same with the glasses 'friend' of the bad guys, semi interesting character and then just killed off quickly at the end, felt like something was skipped

Last edited:
Just finished and an excellent binge watch all be it a little predictable and cheesy in places but a 9/10 from me.

I have watched a couple of episodes on my 6 year old TV, but am waiting till Friday when my 65b7v arrives before I resume watching.
Is this 1080 with hdr, Dolby vision?

I have watched a couple of episodes on my 6 year old TV, but am waiting till Friday when my 65b7v arrives before I resume watching.
Is this 1080 with hdr, Dolby vision?
On your B7 it will be UltraHD 4K with Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos

Remember to select the UltraHD version of the show though - Amazon Prime Video is stupid like that

I assume that it was there because there have been a lot of discussion about the morality of using drones as well as films like 'Eyes in the Sky'.
Other than showing the moral dilemma of the soldier and its psychological effects, that part of the story could have been removed and nobody would have missed it.

It could bring some debate over this type of war which looks more like a video game with fatal consequences. I might be over reading but I assume that the director or whoever is taking the decisions does not approve this.

It killed outright somebody who did not "deserve" to die. However, the other character, who "deserve" to die, is hit almost on his head but miraculously he is alive later on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom