Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Did the first 4 last night. Definitely ticks a lot of boxes for me, as big reader of the books, and fan of the movies. As the review alludes, it's hard to come up with originality to the terrorist plotting, but if the execution is top-notch it doesn't matter.

I did a quick check and it’s Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on my LG B7 oled :)

That's promising then. I've found Amazon's HDR PQ to be quite a bit better than Netflix. Anyone know what bitrate amazon use?

Dolby Vision PQ is very good, spectacular in fact, though to be fair, a lot of the 3 episodes I’ve watched is set in bright sunshine, so it’s almost guaranteed to look good. I don’t recall any issues in darker scenes so far.

Watched the first two. Did not notice any banding in darker prison scenes like there normally or on amazon prime movies.

My xbox one s always outputs atmos so I did not realise it was true atmos. It was good anyway.

The fact i did not think about sound or picture shows it was engaging.

Watched on 1080p tv buy will watch on 4k hdr pj next time.

Last edited:
Watched ep 1 last night and agree with all said so far.
PQ is fantastic, audio (although I was on headphones late last night), assuming Atmos will be very good.
Really like Krasinski in this role and Pierce is always great (especially in The Wire/Treme). Interesting reading they took a gamble on his (Pierce) sitcom being axed so he would be able to film season 2 otherwise they would have had to recast which would have been unfortunate.

Watched ep 1 last night and agree with all said so far.
PQ is fantastic, audio (although I was on headphones late last night), assuming Atmos will be very good.
Really like Krasinski in this role and Pierce is always great (especially in The Wire/Treme). Interesting reading they took a gamble on his (Pierce) sitcom being axed so he would be able to film season 2 otherwise they would have had to recast which would have been unfortunate.
Wendell Pierce is in this? Definitely be watching then. Currently on my third rewatch of The Wire. The greatest television show ever made.

Thank you Cas. Lots to catch up on, but this is on my "check out" list for sure!

Watched the first one and it was a great opening episode.

Just when I have so much else to watch too.

Thanks for the excellent review Cas..:thumbsup:

Watched the first three episodes last night. Really enjoying it.

Nice to finally have Dolby Vision on Amazon. Picture and sound quality are superb. Super clean image and not a hint of grain in sight. :D

Looking forward to finishing this over the weekend...:beer::smoke:

Some nice feedback already. Looking forward to this, but ONLY after I've binged Ozark Season 2 which just dropped on Netflix. I'm afraid Jack Ryan can't compete with Marty Byrde's shenanigans... :D

Really enjoying this too, great show.

I’ve read all the books, love the Ryan series.

Superb review Cas. :thumbsup: The only thing I disagree with is that I enjoyed Chris Pine’s Jack Ryan movie. :D

Half way through. review is spot on.

A lot of the plotting and devices are so familiar: the interrogation of the terrorist bodyguard, for example, was very predictable, but the subsequent action sequence was really well done.

So far, so good, looking forward to finishing the remaining episodes.

I’m slightly confused on the picture quality on this, watching on a Sony A1 and I thought the picture was pretty terrible. I think I’m only getting a 1080p image (how do I check?)

I’m using the prime app through the A1. Netflix is perfect, Amazon Prime I always find a let down.

I did a quick check and it’s Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on my LG B7 oled :)
The addition of Dolby Vision was a nice surprise and works great on my B7 but I'm not getting Dolby Atmos, are you sure about that?

The addition of Dolby Vision was a nice surprise and works great on my B7 but I'm not getting Dolby Atmos, are you sure about that?
Hi Steve
Just double checked and my Receiver (Pioneer VSX930) is definitely showing Dolby Atmos on the receivers info screen.
I did have to press the Auto button on the Receivers remote.
The info banner for the programme info only shows 5.1 though on the TV’s app :thumbsdow

Same for me, I get UHD with Dolby Vision but not Atmos, Audio is 5.1 on my B7 too... Will be giving this a watch later as looks good :)

Edit: not checked it through the AV system though just the TV in the living room...

There has been similar discussion on Dolby Atmos, Vision for Prime’s Jack Ryan

With this setup
  • 2nd gen Fire TV box
  • Denon 6200W
  • UHD Jack Ryan Stream (1080p TV)
  • Atmos selected from Audio in pop-up menu while playing
I do get Atmos with no problems - but it seems others are not getting the Atmos option when playing

I’m slightly confused on the picture quality on this, watching on a Sony A1 and I thought the picture was pretty terrible. I think I’m only getting a 1080p image (how do I check?)

I’m using the prime app through the A1. Netflix is perfect, Amazon Prime I always find a let down.
I had to scroll down several pages to find the UHD version.
Amazon app is dreadful for UHD conetent.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom