Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan Season 1 Review & Comments

stevos

Distinguished Member
I assume that it was there because there have been a lot of discussion about the morality of using drones as well as films like 'Eyes in the Sky'.
Other than showing the moral dilemma of the soldier and its psychological effects, that part of the story could have been removed and nobody would have missed it.

It could bring some debate over this type of war which looks more like a video game with fatal consequences. I might be over reading but I assume that the director or whoever is taking the decisions does not approve this.

It killed outright somebody who did not "deserve" to die. However, the other character, who "deserve" to die, is hit almost on his head but miraculously he is alive later on.

This i get, but why didn't they integrate it into the story, it just felt like a afterthought of 'oh wait we need a moral message' (which it didnt, as i thought it was told pretty well in the progression of the characters). Very odd.

famasfilms

Anyone know why this isn't coming through in 4k or HDR on my LG 950 OLED (2015 model)

When I first got the set Amazon content was in 4k and HDR but haven't had the account active much since then

richardsim7

Distinguished Member
Anyone know why this isn't coming through in 4k or HDR on my LG 950 OLED (2015 model)

When I first got the set Amazon content was in 4k and HDR but haven't had the account active much since then
For some reason (probably being stingy with bandwidth) Amazon list shows in HD and UHD separately so you have to go hunting for it. I had to scroll like 50-60 times (not an exaggeration) to find it

famasfilms

For some reason (probably being stingy with bandwidth) Amazon list shows in HD and UHD separately so you have to go hunting for it. I had to scroll like 50-60 times (not an exaggeration) to find it

Yeah, I can now get it in 4k by choosing the listing with the "UHD" banner, but I can't get HDR?

raymondo77

Yeah, I can now get it in 4k by choosing the listing with the "UHD" banner, but I can't get HDR?

It's Dolby Vision/HDR10+ in the UK, or which your TV has neither. I suspect there's maybe not a HDR10 fallback.

famasfilms

It's Dolby Vision/HDR10+ in the UK, or which your TV has neither. I suspect there's maybe not a HDR10 fallback.

Yeah, the 950 only has basic "HDR" but everything else on Amazon Prime doesn't play in HDR either but used to when I first got the TV.

Seems odd that they wouldn't support standard HDR, or would drop support for it.

@mclingo suggested reinstalling the app so will try that tonight

raymondo77

Yeah, the 950 only has basic "HDR" but everything else on Amazon Prime doesn't play in HDR either but used to when I first got the TV.

Seems odd that they wouldn't support standard HDR, or would drop support for it.

@mclingo suggested reinstalling the app so will try that tonight

Ah right, maybe it is an issue with the TV then, or - hopefully not - Amazon have dropped HDR support for the 950. Or it could just be an issue with Amazon at the moment, hopefully it'll be resolved later tonight.:)

pinnocchio

Wow, I thought this series was utter tosh! maybe im getting old or something......

When he interrupted the third White House meeting and everyone turned and paid attention to what he was saying like it was the word of a prophet did it for me.

He also had no charisma at all, in the books he's meant to be a 'charming pain in the ar*e' (my phraseology)

Writing needs tightening up for me as well, best written thing on TV for accuracy (with allowances for dramatic content) is Homeland, the last three seasons have been extraordinarily good and how Rupert Friend didn't win an Emmy is beyond me.

Member 658764

When he interrupted the third White House meeting and everyone turned and paid attention to what he was saying like it was the word of a prophet did it for me.

He also had no charisma at all, in the books he's meant to be a 'charming pain in the ar*e' (my phraseology)

Writing needs tightening up for me as well, best written thing on TV for accuracy (with allowances for dramatic content) is Homeland, the last three seasons have been extraordinarily good and how Rupert Friend didn't win an Emmy is beyond me.
This clearly wanted to be Homeland but failed on so many levels. I demand a bit more depth if im going to watch something in a series format. Ozark for instance is colossal. This to me was poor at best, the lead guy is terrible........

pinnocchio

This clearly wanted to be Homeland but failed on so many levels. I demand a bit more depth if im going to watch something in a series format. Ozark for instance is colossal. This to me was poor at best, the lead guy is terrible........

This is a bit off the reservation in terms of my normal viewing habits, it's a show called YOU (three episodes aired so far) it's worth tracking down based on what I've seen so far. The plotline reads a bit WHAT? but it's about a stalker trying to get a woman to fall in love with him, but it's told from the stalkers perspective so a little Dexteresque, also a bit more YA then my normal viewing fair but the writing has been good and the leads are both quite likeable. I've actually found myself looking forward to the next episode which is rare for me.

Mister_Tad

Ran through this over the last few days after the last update on my UB820 meant I was finally able to watch this with the hit of the whole fruit (DV+Atmos)

I enjoyed it as a whole - really enjoyed it in fact. I'd liken it to 24, leave-your-brain-at-the-door sort of show, but better on account of stripping 12 episodes of repetition/filler from the season.

Two things irked me, however:

As other's have said, what's with the drone story arc? I spent the whole series waiting for it to converge with the main story in some way, and it just didn't. Either it was just there to somehow make a statement about the morality of war, or there was a greater level of convergence that ended up on the cutting room floor due to an episode/time limitation for some reason

... bringing me to my second point:

Am I the only one that found the last episode a bit underwhelming? Did someone miss a memo and think they had 10 episodes, and then after 7 realise that they only had one more to wrap it all up? It just seemed a bit rushed and on-rails - crisis averted and in what felt like the first 20 minutes, now let's keep going through the "loose ends" checklist and make sure we tick everything off.

Like there's the bad guy that initially got away - will he feature in next season? Is there something more to this? Will he just escape? None of these questions needed to be answered in this episode, or ever for that matter, and then a few minutes later we just get a 5 minute "4 months later we kill him too" segue which seemed pointless.

encaser

If only they didn't have the CIA/President detail cocking their guns, as they should've known they carry them safety off and ready to go at all times. The little things...

Garioch

Distinguished Member
Really interesting review Cas; this is the first time I'm watching a Jack Ryan story so it was good to get the history of previous productions.

Yeah I loved it. Obviously I have nothing to compare this recent interpretation with but I found it to be original, gripping and unbelievably tense.

Watched it in Dolby Vison and thought that the picture quality was stellar.

Makes me want to check out the Jack Ryan.back catalogue now.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I boxed this off last night. Whilst I enjoyed it, I wouldn't say it was anything outstanding. It was good, but that's as far as I'd go.

Will certainly watch Season 2, but not itching for it like I hoped I would be. Hopefully it just improves though as it keeps going.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom