Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan Season 1 Review & Comments

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Sat down last night and watched the first three and quite surprised tbh, not your normal run of the mill, gung ho, bet you can suck a golf ball through a hosepipe stuff. We get to see both sides of which is a complex world. Hopefully will catch up with a couple more tonight. They have spend a decent budget on this and the production is 1st class you can clearly tell from the sets.
:D

Garrett

Ach! Put this in Spoilers please - watching the Series later this week & don't want to have to stop reading this thread until then :(

I expected throughout that it would tie into the main plot, but (thankfully?) it never did. The show ended suggesting the following season will take place in Russia, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the drone pilot again. There did seem to be a finalty to his story after giving the money to the victim's family.
And quoting spoiler is almost as bad the OP has edited his post but his pre edit spoiler is still there in your post. Well would be as I'm about to edit them:lesson:

Garrett

Just got past the church bit. Struggling, it's a bit silly.
Would there not have been a back door to the church although it would be the first thought of people to run to the front entrance. But you would think some of the priest would have know and told them or would it been too late once they even got a whiff of the gas.
BTW Jack feeling sorry he shot the guy which he more or less had to do but should have been more upset he insisted the guy to be tailed and not arrested which by his later logic could have saved the people in the church and a couple of police officers.

Robbo72

Watched over two nights and loved it,didn’t want it to end,loved the chemistry between Ryan and Greer and acting was top notch with everyone concerned.
Action was good and never “far-fetched”
Looked stunning on the Oled.
Roll on season 2 :smashin:

Now to watch Ozark season 2 ;)

Evinger

Distinguished Member
And quoting spoiler is almost as bad the OP has edited his post but his pre edit spoiler is still there in your post. Well would be as I'm about to edit them:lesson:
:facepalm: Yep! Point taken & I have "Spoilered" the Spoiler in my post now!
Sorry! :)

akk0091

Well your sig says you only have a 5.1 setup so...not sure why you're concerned about atmos... :confused:

Regardless, it's DD+ Atmos anyway, not TrueHD Atmos

Ah, I see. I'm just used to seeing "TrueHD" on my amp whenever Atmos is playing but for some reason didn't come to my mind that DD+ could also be Atmos :facepalm:

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Am I correct in saying this is a 1080p only show? Nevertheless, the picture is stunning.
In the app you have to scroll down to the 4K section & it's there in full glory!

mclingo

Distinguished Member
5 eps in and hooked, the best looking streamed content i've ever seen from Amazon, not a hint of compression even in Dark scenes, superb.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Started watching this last night, stunningly good PQ for an Amazon title, good audio too.
Oh and it's a pretty good story too.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
5 eps in and hooked, the best looking streamed content i've ever seen from Amazon, not a hint of compression even in Dark scenes, superb.
Really looking forward to settling down to watch this (Only to date run the first few moments to confirm the DV / Atmos)
First we want to finish Counterpart, which is frankly a stunning series

mclingo

Distinguished Member
thinking about it, actually there was in the title sequence but I saw nothing at all in general viewing at all - I have a 2015 OLED too, anything like this stands out like a kick in the face, I was genuinely surprised.

stevos

Distinguished Member
What surprised me is with all the advertisement, and its everywhere in London, why it was so short a series.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Guessing it was very expensive. Making too many episodes would probably be prohibitive. Amazon are only worth a trillion dollars you know.

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Well, I finished it last night... binge of final 5 episodes.
Over all I am quite impressed.
Get to see both sides of the story.
The hatred of the West by some in the Islamic world and the might muscle power of the US.
Think they could have easily made 10-13 episodes if they wanted but 8 is fine, we have all watched stuff when it just runs and runs, you lose interest when they can end it in half the screen time.
John playing Jack was spot on and his constant clashes with Greer over his values of life he sees but Greer with the experience in how things work in the world which you don't get sitting behind a desk.

Looking forward to season 2,3,4,5..
Quality production, great script, great actors/ess .... Roger Roger!

Har-One

Could not find the 4k version. Amazon prime video navigation is antiquated
Which device are you using?

You need to scroll down until you lose the will to live and there is a small square with the title "UHD include with prime" or something similar and after you select that square it opens all the 4K-UHD content. The app is pure rubbish. Now that they reach a trillion value let's see if they put some money into fixing it. :rotfl:

FunkiestMonkey

Best thing I've seen on TV for r quite a while.. Compelling viewing indeed. Excellent performances all round
Not sure the main character is well casted but hey ho. He does look more like an analyst. He only has one moody face. Obviously been to the same school of acting as Will Smith

t bone

Not sure the main character is well casted but hey ho. He does look more like an analyst. He only has one moody face. Obviously been to the same school of acting as Will Smith

I agree about the main character, but will Smith is a much better actor.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021