Told a white-ish lie to the other half!

dodgydaz

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be popping into John Lewis tomorrow to purchase a Pioneer 508XD. Got a decent Price Match so am going in bright and early.

My only problem is.......the wife!!

She thinks I am getting the 42 inch model, but as I already have a 37 inch Panny, I decided that 42 wasnt going to be much of an impact.

Now, I can probably persuade her that the screen is 42 inches - by measuring the top of the screen, not the diagonal, but I have a feeling the packaging will say in big numbers and letters - "50 INCHES".

I will be getting it delivered so I will most likely be at work when they drop it off.

Can I ask them to use parcel tape and cover up any references to the actual screen size, or do you think thats going a bit too far?

Should I just own up now, or wait for the phone call when she realises I have bought a 50 inch monster!!!:suicide:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You have zero chance that she'll believe it is a 42" model! :rotfl::rotfl:

Don't do it, m8, the 42" is already a lot bigger than the 37"; a 50" is another world of BIG, unless you have an American sized living room :D

CHFels

I will be the devil to CHFels angel and say that you'll regret not going for the 50". Tell her they didn't have any 42" in stock so they did you a deal on the 50... :D

It's amazing how many on this forum have to almost get approval from their other halves for buying a TV or spending money.

I said to the missus, I'm getting all this AV equipment. She said "ok" and that was it. (But I suppose since I bought her new boobs that cost a couple of thousand more than my AV install, she can't really complain!) ;)

You could always go with "I only paid for a 42 incher but the shop delivered 1 50"! You might get away with convincing her to keep it! :D

I will be the devil to CHFels angel and say that you'll regret not going for the 50". Tell her they didn't have any 42" in stock so they did you a deal on the 50... :D

Thanks...thats not a bad idea, but I will be telling another lie to cover up the one I have told her already so I can see it spiralling out of control:)

I have already spent weeks / months debating in my head the arguments for and against getting a 50 inch beauty over a paltry 42 inch so I am not going down that road again.:D

It's amazing how many on this forum have to almost get approval from their other halves for buying a TV or spending money.

I said to the missus, I'm getting all this AV equipment. She said "ok" and that was it. (But I suppose since I bought her new boobs that cost a couple of thousand more than my AV install, she can't really complain!) ;)

More toys for you as well then.... :rotfl:

At least you'll have a nice Shiny 50" screen to keep you company after shes left you :rotfl:

You can say you've bought the 42" when you come back from JL.

When it's delivered she will obviously see it's a 50". You then say to her that you'll ring JL (preferably from work) to tell them their mistake and you tell her that they offered the 50" at a lower price than advertised and was too good to miss. Basically you tell her that you would've been a complete fool to not take up JL's offer.

By this time she will have been desensitised to the 50 inches anyway.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::eek::eek::eek::eek::nono::nono::nono::nono::hiya::hiya::hiya::clap::clap::clap:
If you get away with it , you deserve to get away with it, if you dont at least you will have a decent telly to watch while sleeping on the sofa , either way you are in a win win situation

Dude you need to create a sig and stick those in there! Don't forget the cc's ;)

on the other hand, thinking on my feet and flying by the seat of my pants, why not say, you will not believe this dear, they have only mucked up and given me the 50 inch by mistake, what a result:thumbsup:

I constantly go to the most extreme lengths to hide purchases from my wife. She always finds out and then says to me "why do you feel you have to hide it from me, if we can afford it and you want it its fine with me".

I think about that everytime I buy something but yet I still like to get it in un-noticed. I've decided that I must be addicted to that part of the purchasing process.

Of course her words fall down on the "we can afford it bit", but hey by that time I have the new thing.

Good luck

My girlfriend has no idea i have ordered my 60inch Pioneer.

Your wife will soon get used to the bigger screen. She might flap a bit at the beginning, but then she will give in.

Here's what you do....if she notices, be totally amazed an dance a jig of joy that the muppets at John Lewis ahve sent you a 50incher instead of a 42incher. Turning a negative into a positive is the art of a happy marriage. :smashin:

Here's what you do....if she notices, be totally amazed an dance a jig of joy that the muppets at John Lewis ahve sent you a 50incher instead of a 42incher. Turning a negative into a positive is the art of a happy marriage. :smashin:

Thats a bad idea because she could insist you send it back and get a 42 inch, which means you would have to own up and get in even more trouble.

No. Now heres what you do...! Get it out the box and set it up, and when she gets home and says "Jesus thats big!!"

You say "If you think thats big.... Take a look in my pants" :devil:
Then take her upstairs or over the damn thing and give her a bloody good seeing to!!!! :rotfl::rotfl: works every God damn time! ;)

Rgds

CH

I would have went with they use the old method of measuring the screens, they still do it top to bottom.....It was my other half who got my lcd 2 years ago oh and she got me my 360 a while ago. Oh she also got me that nice Harmony 525 remote. ;)

Will she even be able to tell how big it is from the kitchen? :p

Right:smashin:, this is what you do: get a paper footprint of the 50" TV and start by showing her where it's going to fit and how good it's going to look. Once you've conviced her that the TV will look cool where you BOTH decided to put it, then confess and say "by the way, JL were doing this great offer so I got the 50" instead of the 42"" she can not say that it won't look good and that it'll be too big etc..., cause she already said it looks fine, game set and match over, unless of course your lounge is very tiny and you won't convince her in a million years that it'll won't be too big. If you have a small lounge wall mounting will make it look fine.
I personaly always come out with it and convince her first, if the convincing part doesen't work, I usually just go ahead and do it with her full knowledge, she always comes around:D.

Just keep schtum!!

I 'forgot' to tell the wife I had ordered a 37" plasma to replace our 32" CRT and she came back from work and watched 90mins of footy and an hour of Heroes before I turned the telly OFF. It was only then that she noticed:eek::eek:

Also your wife will have no idea of size as you have no doubt been telling her that ------------------------------- is 8" for most of your married life:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom