Tokyo Vice (HBO Max / Starzplay) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

It sure is, but I have a feeling this show will miss finding an audience due to the amount of subtitles. I can't think of any other show that has given us US style budgets but is purely Japanese to its core. I like how they are expanding the cast and giving us a in depth look at Yakuza life.

Just finished the final episode.
Brilliant
Fascinating insight in the Yakuza world.
Very well produced, acted and directed.

9/10

😀😀

I really hope there is a 2nd season after that ending. several story threads left to resolve.

Definitely my favourite show this year and would give it an 8 or maybe even a 9

Hi all. Can someone please tell me how many episodes are in season 1. I am waiting for all to be released before I start watching. Over here there are 5 episodes released thus far but from some of the posts I've read here it sounds like people (in the UK) have finished the entire season. Is it just 5 episodes long?
Everyone seems to be giving this series the thumbs up

8 episodes, there were released over 3 weeks on HBO Max.

This series made me feel claustrophobic with the narrow alleys and small living space, the sense of nascent despair is well captured as is the hierarchical stoic nature of Japanese life and love well portrayed, especially the near desperation to make a success of things for those living in Japan.
This police procedure drama and the political necessity to ignore the invasive criminality, principally created by the Yakuza, is an excellent backdrop for the two flawed main characters, both seemingly heading for self destruction. The use of both the Japanese and English language is well done, though I suspect not quite authentic for the times.
As an HBO Max release Tokyo Vice is a surprisingly refreshing change, being mostly free of the usual diversity edict and just tells a well written thriller, so I recommend this show, especially if you are a fan of Ken Watanabe and Michael Mann.
My rating is 8 out of 10.

How the hell can the last episode finish like that!!!

So many unanswered questions!!

How the hell can the last episode finish like that!!!

So many unanswered questions!!
Totally agree! I loved the series, but
I actually found it quite frustrating that the flash forward meeting scene from Episode 1 doesn't come to pass by the end of the final episode. I hope they know for sure that they've got a second run greenlit already...

I actually found it quite frustrating that the flash forward meeting scene from Episode 1 doesn't come to pass by the end of the final episode. I hope they know for sure that they've got a second run greenlit already...
Agreed.

It was just super disappointing after what was a wonderful build up. That looked like it would be such a cool scene, and I felt that showing us that right at the beginning made it into the target we were working towards all along. You could track Jake's behaviour changing through the episodes to become more like the version of himself that goes to that meeting - smoking, for example - and then we didn't get to see it. I felt robbed!

Looks like it's been renewed for season 2 ..... surely the makers knew this before they wrapped up filming for Season 1 going by the various plot lines.

Just finished this, great series but I echo others frustrations at how many loose ends there is left, that no doubt we've got at least a year of waiting to find the conclusions too.....

Exactly

If this isn't renewed at the very least they could do is make a tv movie and tie up some of the plot threads.

Just finished this, absolutely outstanding, the best show of the year so far for me.

Just started this on boring broadcast telly, only the first part so far.

I take it Ridley Scott wasn't available as Michael Mann directed 😉 pretty good even if it's trading in very familiar themes and situations so far.

Most gorgeous looking show of the year, by a mile.

Well I foolishly named my top 3 shows of the year a few days ago, and now I've got this in the mix as well :)

3 episodes in and top draw stuff thus far. I instantly got a Black Rain vibe off it, but it's obviously got way more depth to it than that.

BBC iplayer has this is UHD so i gave it a go i like it.

Okay...I finished watching today. My guess is something went wrong with this show while they were making it. It's as though there was a falling out about how it should be developed or structured and everyone kind of lost interest in the project.

The first few episodes are brilliant, well paced, well written, engaging characters, visually arresting...it has it all and if it carried on like this, it could be up there with the best of TV.

Around half way through the series, the tone shifts and it all starts getting very silly. The plot turns a bit...soapy...is how best I can describe it. It all seems a bit wrong, the characters are being weird, making strange decisions just because the plot dictates it and the quality of dialogue drops noticeably.

Then it ends without any resolution whatsoever...which would be fine but for the feeling that I really don't care enough about these characters to be excited for series 2. I'll probably give it a go though...

6/10

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom