Tokyo - Shanghai - Phi Phi - Dubai

• Thread starter Deleted member 134693
  • Start date

Deleted member 134693

Reaction score
Hello,

The wife and I are looking at going away again for a 'big' holiday after enjoying the last one so much (Kuala Lumpur - Sydney - Cairns - Fiji - Dubai) We considered going back to Australia again and doing a driving holiday along the east coast but we've decided against that as we had a week in Sydney and a week in Cairns and feel its a little too soon to go back to potentially do the same things.

Ever since I was young I've wanted to go to Japan, Shanghai looks cool and the beaches in Phi Phi look amazing. We fell in love with Dubai last time we visited and so definitely want to stop over for a few nights on the way back again.

We won't be going until November 2017 but unfortunately I'm an average working guy and it'll take that long to save up enough so we can have a half decent trip. I do appreciate its a fair way off but just want to get things roughly planned out.

Currently looking at...

Tokyo 4 nights - Disney land / tour of Mt Fiji and bullet train / day exploring the city itself

Shanghai 3 nights - not sure yet??

Phi Phi 6 nights - relax on the beach - maybe have a look around Phuket or another island or to. My friend said accommodation is dirt cheap out there but struggling to find one that looks nice below around £800 for 6 nights (more likely £1100)

Dubai 4 nights - Think we sorted on that one :thumbsup:

6 months until we can even book flights/accommodation so plenty of time, just wondering if anyone has any hints/tips on places to visit/accommodation to book/transfers etc etc.

Many thanks

I would recommend you spend more time in Japan, maybe try and fit in Osaka and Hiroshima as well if you are planning riding the bullet train? Disneyland is a nightmare in Tokyo...2-3hr queues for all the rides! Not worth it IMO.

I don't rate Shanghai as well, to me its just another city with tall skyscrapers. Have you considered Beijing where you can visit more interesting places like the Great Wall or Tiananmen Square. Or if you are keen on places with skyscrapers how about Hong Kong where the harbour view is second to none. You can also use HK as the hub to fly out to/from Japan/Thailand.

Some random thoughts:
Not really doing justice to either Japan or China, I'd also say both are a little harder to access/feel comfortable in compared to your previous trip to Malaysia/Australia.

There will also be a Disney in Shanghai by the time you go ...

Like chong168 I'd lean towards longer in Japan and change Shanghai to Beijing or possibly X'ian. Note that you can spend up to 72 hours, in transit, without requiring a visa in many Chinese cities, cost of a visa is not insignificant.

Thailand/Phi Phi is pretty cheap as a standalone holiday, but I'd also look at Krabi as an alternative. IMO Phuket is seriously over developed, has significant transport problems and I would avoid.

Bullet trains, these aren't cheap in Japan unless you can make good use of one of the various passes they make available to foreigners only. China also has fast(er?) trains but not sure if you would be able to travel if you're on a transit visa. Shanghai has the Maglev..

If you do travel to to Thailand from Japan/China keep an eye out for Air Asia sales, they frequently have very good deals on flights.

Many thanks for the replies both and sorry for my slow response!

So we've been throwing some ideas around, really to see how much we realistically need to save each month to make the trip viable and to make it an unforgettable trip.

So after your guys suggestions we're now considering....

UK - Beijing. Stay 3 nights in Beijing.

Bullet Train from Beijing to Shanghai.

Stay 3 nights in Shangahi

Fly to Hong Kong - Stay 3 nights in HK.

Fly to Tokyo - Stay 5 nights in Tokyo - Possibly venture to Osaka

Fly home to the UK staying in Dubai for 4 nights.

We've scrapped Phi Phi as we'll probably look at Thailand on a separate trip in the future as its quite a way out from Japan/China. We'll obviously need a Visa now if staying in China for a few more days but can't imagine its any worse than the one we got for Moscow!!!

I know most of the places are going to be big cities with tall buildings but all look quite appealing in their own way - :smashin:

Thanks again :)

I'm a keen proponent of 3 day turnarounds in places you've already been. Not sure it works so well for new cities or even countries/cultures.
Unless you're wedded to the train you could probably do UK-Beijing-HKG-Shang Hai -Tokyo on 2 x 72 transit visas (please don't believe me - check with the chinese government!)
yes, they're all big cities but there's a lot of history. I guess you realise you're not even going to scratch the surface of these places.....
Still think yout itinerary is way too tight but if you're going to attempt it the key will be getting well timed flights.
Happy to converse further...

I'm a keen proponent of 3 day turnarounds in places you've already been. Not sure it works so well for new cities or even countries/cultures.
Unless you're wedded to the train you could probably do UK-Beijing-HKG-Shang Hai -Tokyo on 2 x 72 transit visas (please don't believe me - check with the chinese government!)
yes, they're all big cities but there's a lot of history. I guess you realise you're not even going to scratch the surface of these places.....
Still think yout itinerary is way too tight but if you're going to attempt it the key will be getting well timed flights.
Happy to converse further...

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I do agree it would be nice to have a little longer in each place but we're both in full time work and the maximum we can get off is 24 days in one period!

We've already knocked 6 days lazing on the beach on the head so we can try and cram in a little more in Japan and China.

We already know it'll be a pretty hectic holiday and would like to have 5/6 days in each but that's not possible. Trouble is, each place looks fantastic in its own little way and I'm sure one place will probably enchant us more than the rest but from looking at pictures and online reviews they all currently look on par with each other!!

I do agree that we'll have to select some good flight times but the benefit of China is 1 time zone! The bullet train is 5 hours and Shanghai to HK is 3 hours flying so we'd lose a morning / afternoon travelling between each place.

I will have to have a proper look at the tourist Visa although I've arranged the places as per my above post as it works out the best way with flights (for 2016) and I quite fancy doing Beijing to Shanghai on the bullet train :clap:

More than happy to listen to thoughts / ideas / suggestions :thumbsup:

Thanks again
Mark

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom