Toilet blockage, need a brush that bends through U-bend or liquid I can put down to remove blockage

brymbo76

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a brush I can buy designed for toilets that can flex all round the U-bend and into the outlet pipe to remove a blockage?
Failing that, is there a liquid I can buy specifically designed to break down faecal matter to remove the the blockage?

Most flexible toilet brushes only go so far into the U-bend. I need one that goes further in and into the outlet pipe as I think the blockage is further in as over a few hours, the water in my toilet, you can start to see a brown colour entering into it further back from the u-bend.

Apart from bleach and toilet cleaner, most drain unblockers I have seen specifically say not to put down a toilet.

Therefore, what would be my best option?
A long toilet brush with flexible shaft that can get as far as the outlet pipe of my toilet?
Or a liquid I can put down there?

Please let me know what would be the best option and please recommend any products you can and where to buy them from.

Many Thanks.

Not that it helps, but chances are it is paper tissue that is causing the blockage, not allowing other matter past. Are you in a new build or an older house?

It is a (reasonably) new bulid. It was built 2009. I have lived there soon after it was built. I have just had a plumber visit 2 days ago and he said the problem was that the Roca flush cistern dual flush valve wasn't powerful enough and he changed it from a type where the flush buttons are connected direct to the flush valve to a type where the flush buttons are connected via a cable. They type he fitted was a Fluidmaster 550073.

I lived in a new build and had blockage issues, but showed up pretty quickly, not over 10 years later, and it turned out the builders had chucked chunks of concrete down the drains before the plumbers plumbed in the toilets etc, and toilet tissue just hit these chunks and slowly built up until it backed right up to the toilet.
Have you got access to the drains? It would be worth having a look in there to see if you can where the blockage is. It might not be near the toilet.

I actually live in a block of 12 flats, 4 flats per floor and I am on the top floor and I seem to be the only one experiencing these toilet blockage problems. I'm not sure which drain is mine really as the drains are shared between different flats. I just think there must be some matter that gets stuck in the U-bend or further through the toilet and outlet pipe and needs something to remove it from where it is stuck to either by removinbg it with a brush or a liquid that can break it down into a liquid itself that can then be flushed down the pipe to the sewer.

I actually live in a block of 12 flats, 4 flats per floor and I am on the top floor and I seem to be the only one experiencing these toilet blockage problems. I'm not sure which drain is mine really as the drains are shared between different flats. I just think there must be some matter that gets stuck in the U-bend or further through the toilet and outlet pipe and needs something to remove it from where it is stuck to either by removinbg it with a brush or a liquid that can break it down into a liquid itself that can then be flushed down the pipe to the sewer.
Ah ok, that is useful information.
I bought a bend metal rod that can be pushed further round the bend, but it didn't help as the blockage was further in the drain system.
I would just get a professional out to sort it, if you have now fixed the issue with the toilet flush.

Well according to the plumber that came out to change the parts on the toilet, he said "it's not a blockage", he said "water doesn't back up", whatever that means. He just advised to use some cleaning product and keep flushing it and it will go eventually.

Chimney sweep tool.

I’m an expert in this field, working in a carehome. :D

Best fix for a blocked toilet (unless it’s wipes), fill toilet pan with as much hot water as you can, then fill with washing up liquid and let it brew. Can take twenty mins or so. Add more hot water if ness.

@brymbo76 hopefully the advice given here and also the 2 pages of comments on Digital Spy will be of use. Or maybe not yet:

"Well, anyway, even after a bucket of hot slightly soapy water, brown water still entered my toilet after a while. So maybe I just ought to buy a plunger or some sort of drain cleaner suitable for toilets and see how I go with that"

Good luck!

Although I’ve had to use these before. Dredging out sanitary towels. Horrible job but effective. But this was where the blockage was in the drain outside of premises.

Years ago our toilet blocked solid. Someone suggested soda crystals, I think. They didn't work (and later I found they had hardened/solidified at the bottom). I then bought a toilet auger which was also useless. Finally I gave a plunger a go, making sure not to squirt myself in the face and it worked immediately. I know you have to be careful not to break/dislodge any pipe work and get a good seal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom