Question Toddler Proofing my Set-Up

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got a full Monitor Audio Silver set-up at the moment (RS6 floorstanders, RSLCR centre and RSFX rears wall mounted).

My little one (coming up 15 months) is now starting to 'investigate' the floorstanders: as a result I'm being "encouraged" to find some wall-mounted fronts.

My first thoughts are that if I can find a pair of matching RS1s are there specific wall mounting brackets available?

If not, what sort of 'dedicated' wall mount system would offer similar sound quality: do I need to consider the XTZ, MK or Jamo speakers as alternatives?

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

I have have and kept floorstanding fronts through both my kids (now 4 and 8). Initially they may have been interested but a few times being told no and distracted by something else they soon ignored them. Keep the covers on so they can not damage any of the drivers and you should be fine.

I'd agree with the above - they have to learn boundaries and just moving stuff out of the way doesn't teach them, it makes them keener to get to what they aren't allowed!

I imagine that in a worst case scenario they will be covered on the house insurance (the speakers, that is ;)) so I wish you luck in your toddler training! :)

I agree with the other two posts, i had floorstanders when my girls were toddlers and had no problems at all, i told them no a few times and they've ignored them ever since.

The only children with a keen interest are those children who are allowed to play with anything in the house.

There no real secure way other than what PSM1 said. However, in the beginning you got to be vigilent, have eyes in the back of your head And a 6th and 7th sense.

I've been through this twice with one more to go who is 6months old and already has a beady eye on it. Fortunately my setup does not have as many flashing leds as with my 1st setup when I had my 1st child. So less attraction.

Also, I don't know if it cos they are girls but once I took the drastic step of showing them what is what with the setup, they lost interest.

you also needs to keep tabs on the remote I as caught my lot using them as hammers once they realise Another use for it other than in their mouths

go to agricultural store and buy a 12v electric fence - then you can safely leave the room

Yep sounds familiar - my kids are 5, 2.5 and 1. I came very close to getting floorstanders when I was buying recent kit. My thinking was to get a paving slab per speaker and drill 4 holes in the bottom of it matching up to where the spikes screw into the bottom of the speaker. Then bolting the speaker to the paving slab. Put a sheet of neoprene under the slab and between the slab and the speaker. I figured there would be enough weight to secure the speaker.

In the end though I decided to put off floorstanders for a few years and went with Monitor Audio Apex instead which bolt to the wall out of hands reach. I don't care what anyone says, floorstanders would be destroyed in my house - either pushed over, scratched, food mashed into them, drivers pushed in or a potato shoved into an air port.

If you want to wall mount RS1's have a look at the BTech BT77. I have them mounting a set of RX1's in my kitchen.

Shudders.... Remembering when my inquisitive son age about 7 wanted to measure the floors standers and slipped the measuring tape tip under the protective grill...which was then promptly sucked through the tweeter by the magnets....I tried not to get cross but it was tough!

I'm having palpations reading this lol. I've got 2 girls aged 2 & 3 and this is all I think about when I'm away, or even sat down watching the kids play.

What sub did you go with for the Apex?

I went with a BK Electronics XXLS400. Apparently better than the Apex sub for half the money. Works very well with them I have to say. I'm itching to get another to see what a matching pair of subs are like.

And yes I'd be very stressed trying to keep an eye on the kids (2 girls and a boy) anywhere near the kit. Hence the speakers are well out of reach and AVR, HTPC etc are in a cupboard in another room well away from sticky fingers.....

I'm looking at subs at the minute (among other change ups). BK and SVS seem to be the two brands that get mentioned a lot at the minute. I'm swayed to SVS, considering either 2x SB2000 or 1 SB13 ULTRA.

Unless in a big room or one with sound issues (uneven bass around room) then better getting one better sub than 2 ok one's. If you do not have room issues then 2 subs the same give you no gain other than more volume. Since most subs are working well below their max input then often 2 subs the same give you no gains. Hence put the money towards one better sub that will go lower and give you more volume if needed.

It's not a massive room, roughly 4.5 x 4.2m. Would just the 1 SB 2000 be enough?

Should be more than enough but the ultra would be even better.

A guy on avs or here had two 12" and went for a single SB Ultra 13.

I have SBU13 and a SB12+ and would much prefer a single SBU13 than dual SB12+.

How did this thread go from toddlers to subs.
I cannot see the correlation other than it being used a footstool, a step, a seat or if you have 2 subs, jump from one to the other or around the room without touching the floor if close enough :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom