1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toddler proofing a plasma on a stand?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GadgetObsessed, Dec 19, 2002.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    I'm looking at buying a plasma (37" Pannny or 32" Hitachi) and putting it on a glass stand. Cannot fit it to the wall as there is no suitable wall space - the stand will be in the corner of the room.

My concern though is it being knocked over by our little boy. Any suggestions for making the screen more secure and toddler proof?

2. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been considering the same problem.
    I went to John Lewis last Sun and there was one (42" Panny) on display with the desk-stand. The thing is very very stable. I would have problems myself in tipping it over! Nevertheless I was thinking of putting a restrain strap to the wall at the back (similar to those that are sometimes put on bookshelves).

3. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lock him out of the room :D

or...

Push the plasma well back on the unit it is standing on so it is close to the wall?

I have a 3 year old, so I put my plasma on the wall, out of reach, out of range (that throwing action is sooo good!).

James

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Moat? Razor Wire? Plenty of options!

Its post like this that make me grateful that I am a jaffa :)

5. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL :D :D :D

6. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    forgive me for being a bit of a foreigner, but what the heck is a Jaffa ??? (I have 1/2 an idea, though...)

7. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Gary, don’t underestimate the effects of a toddler thrown missile impacting on the screen.
    My old Panny 36PF10 suffered plenty of scratches to the CRT, so I decided that for my Plasma prevention was better than frustrated anger.
    My solution was to get a piece of clear Perspex the exact size of the screen and attach it to the bezel with small pieces of double sided Velcro at each corner and in the middle. The Velcro makes the Perspex stand about 5mm off of the screen allowing a sufficient gap for any heat to dissipate (not that the Panny/Tosh gets that hot) and it also comes off easily for cleaning.
    If you take care making it, you have to do a double take to actually see it, so it’s in no way obtrusive.
    So far it has saved the screen from several impacts and also protects it from sticky little finger prints.
    HAY, MAYBE I SHOULD PUT THIS INTO PRODUCTION!

8. julianashcroft

julianashcroft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When I took delivery of my Sharp 43" Plasma, it came with some eye bolts which fixed into the back of the screen, which could then be connected by steel wire to a similar bolt screwed into the wall, to stop the screen falling over.

Julian Ashcroft
    Isle of Man

9. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 37" Panasonic on a glass top and the weight of the screen on the glass makes the stand "stick" to the glass. There must be a rubber pad on each corner of the stand so it will not scratch the glass. Even when I try to lift the plasma by the handles of the glass it won't move unless I prise it off first!!

10. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would mount it on the wall so he can't touch it !!!

If it falls on him your never forgive yourself...

It will do your "head in" if your new Panny gets finger prints all over the glass.

It looks so cool on the wall.

Bluebear.
    :D

11. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I suffered a similar anguish when my Pio MXE first arrived. I had it stood on my unit using the plastic feet that came with the screen. Although it felt fairly solid I was worried that it could be pulled over :eek: .

The wall bracket showed up a few days later however and I now have it wall mounted.

As for the screen I made a perspex cover. I allowed enough perspex to make two tags either side. I warmed up the tags and bent them over to form hooks that matched the shape of the screen top in profile ( it took two bends per tag). The underside of these hooks I then lined with the fluffy side of velcro to prevent the cover from scratching the set.

I also put some of those stops you get for kitchen cupboard doors on to the inside of the cover so that no perspex touches the plasma at all. The cover hooks over and it won't even slide side to side because of these little stops

My little boy can really throw a wooden block now!!! I urge you to protect the glass.

Lennyz