Todd Phillips' JOKER (4 October 2019) Joaquin Phoenix

Rate me

• Total voters
Jared Leto felt "alienated and upset" that Warner Bros moved forward with a solo Joker film without him.

Bless.

Let's hope he doesn't start seething in an underground style, on the way to forming a criminal organisation and becoming an unhinged individual wearing excessive face paint and a clown suit.

Tremendous achievement by all involved. Nitpicking aside I don't think I can fault it. Disturbing, crafty and disturbing again. Joaquin Phoenix's performance was perfectly nuanced and the best I've seen this year. Got to be among his best, up there with The Master (see a bit of Freddie in his Joker), Her and Space Camp.

It got me, too! Not since the days of
The Sixth Sense has a film convinced me so completely that what I was seeing was real. In retrospect, it seems quite obvious that a got-it-together single mother wouldn't go near such an unhinged and broken individual but the film beguiled me and lulled me in to the point that it genuinely surprised me.

A film that sets your teeth, heart and arse on edge.

Joaquin Phoenix's performance was perfectly nuanced and the best I've seen this year. Got to be among his best, up there with The Master (see a bit of Freddie in his Joker), Her and Space Camp.

You've blown my mind.

Been donkey's years since I saw that, so I had no idea it was him in it.

A99EAEFD-1E7E-4FD2-8826-C976DAEE96B5.jpeg

Let's hope he doesn't start seething in an underground style, on the way to forming a criminal organisation and becoming an unhinged individual wearing excessive face paint and a clown suit.

Art imitates life

Leto's Joker is the real Joker waiting in the background, inspired by Fleck
if they are clever they could weave this version as the sequel, the two jokers could face off as enemies.

she might be Jack's daughter :D

Not everyone liked it

Spoilers

$737M overall at the worldwide box office.

The film is now close to becoming the highest grossing R Rated film of all time.

I really hope they don't try and tie it to another film or add a sequel. Let's just leave it as a stand alone character piece/study.

Leto's Joker is the real Joker waiting in the background, inspired by Fleck
if they are clever they could weave this version as the sequel, the two jokers could face off as enemies.
After Phoenix's standout performance, the second best thing about this film is to wash away the memory of the disappointing Leto film. Warner should keep it that way

After Phoenix's standout performance, the second best thing about this film is to wash away the memory of the disappointing Leto film. Warner should keep it that way
yeah looks like Leto's joker career is dead now

Joker has already made 15x it’s budget.
Will likely hit a Billion without releasing in China.

Unless De niro and Pacino deliver an immense performance in the Irishman, Phoenix has got this in the bag.

Unless De niro and Pacino deliver an immense performance in the Irishman, Phoenix has got this in the bag.

Wonder how Scorsese's Joker would have turned out...assuming would rewrite scripy

JOKER now sits at $955M (without China) and with only a budget of $62.5M has now become the most profitable non* comic book movie ever according to Forbes

'Our Year' hates it when even trades call it a CBM

Very late to the party with this, but finally got around to seeing it, and despite my expectations of an outright marmite film, found myself more on the fence. Yes, Phoenix is immense, and leaves little room for anyone else in the running time, but the film as a whole left me pretty cold, some standout moments aside.
The storyline was pretty thin, a very pedestrian first two thirds, and a full throttle last act. Very well put together, but far from film of the year for me.
I though some parts of the ending were a little on the nose, in particular,
the Waynes alleyway encounter, but I suppose it was better to see the whole 'movement' that Arthur created cause that, rather than him being directly responsible. I did however love the shot of Phoenix being lifted from the crash and smearing blood over his smile, all Heath Ledger like.

Will likely be the first ever R rated billion dollar movie by this time next week.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom