Todd Phillips' JOKER (4 October 2019) Joaquin Phoenix

Rate me

• Total voters
Just an observation
every white character was bad and every black character was good. With the exception of the 2 police officers who were kinda neutral

I wouldn't say they were all good. Most were pretty neutral.
His therapist in the film for example, strikes me as completely indifferent to him and is just going through the motions for her paycheck. The lady on the bus is hostile to him, and his flatmate probably ignored him except in his mind.

Probably the kindest character to Arthur is Gary the midget (white). One could argue that all the midget sized people in the film were good, and all the normal sized people were (mostly) bad. Significant? Lol.

I honestly dont think Phillips was trying to say something about race. He's gone on record saying he's fed up with woke culture.

Might be of interest to some of you that The King of Comedy is currently included on Amazon Prime...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Horrible, bleak, mean film. Loved it. I'm choosing to go with the most literal interpretation. Most of the alternatives I read least night are a bit of a reach and could be applied to most movies to be honest.

Particularly liked what they did with the Batman origin.

Would love a sequel.

Jared Leto felt "alienated and upset" that Warner Bros moved forward with a solo Joker film without him.

Bless.

Last edited:
I felt the departure from the 'traditional' depiction of the Waynes was in keeping with the rest of the movie.
Their story wasn't important to this depiction of Joker. Thomas Wayne is an antagonist here but setting up Batman wasn't necessary and kind of a sellout by Todd Phillips who has been at pains to point out this film stands alone and is not part of a wider universe.

Regardless, I thought it was still great.

For me artistically and the acting in the film were great, but in terms of entertainment and subject matter it didn't sit so well with me. Joaquin Phoenix will probably get an oscar for this and deservedly so. For me it follows a deranged, mentally ill (which covers depression etc) serial killer but it's been badged as a comic book film. It lightly touches some of the Joker origins but it goes too far into the mindset of a serial killer to be a Joker origin story and at the same time be called a comic book film.

For me the artistically and acting the film was great, but in terms of entertainment and subject matter it didn't sit so well with me. Joaquin Phoenix will probably get an oscar for this and deservedly so. For me it follows a deranged, mentally ill (which covers depression etc) serial killer but it's been badged as a comic book film. It lightly touches some of the Joker origins but it goes too far into the mindset of a serial killer to be a Joker origin story and at the same time be called a comic book film.
Why are the two mutually exclusive ?

Martin Scorsese almost directed the Joker

Why are the two mutually inclusive ?

Because the Joker is a comic book character and IMO needs to at least portray and pay homeage to the characters origins. There is too much artisitc license in this film and does not really reflect the origin of the Joker's character.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom