Todd Phillips' JOKER (4 October 2019) Joaquin Phoenix

Rate me

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
The Hangover director Todd Phillips in talks to write and direct a Joker origin movie for Warner Brothers & DC

Last edited:
I've always loved Joker's mysterious background and behaviour, it doesn't need a origin story especially from the likes Todd Philips.

Regarding that "new brand" surely they have to call it Elseworlds? Why bother giving it a brand new name when that works pretty well.

Also note that the first Elseworlds comic for a LONG time has been announced. Maybe related?

They are going to ruin this.

The point of the joker is we don't know his origin and he decides to make up a story every other arc someone asks him about it (or he decides to tell someone).

Best way to solve this film is for it to cover 4-5 alternative stories of where the joker has said he came from and let the viewer "decide" for themselves which one is true, and end with the joker laughing and alluding to all the stories are false.

However I'm sure DC will be really basic and try and do a normal origins storyline. I just don't see how this can be good but DC are hell bent on ruining all of their franchises except wonder woman so they might as well go for it.

Best way to solve this film is for it to cover 4-5 alternative stories of where the joker has said he came from and let the viewer "decide" for themselves which one is true, and end with the joker laughing and alluding to all the stories are false

I could go for a rashomon style origin story like that, but I think you're right about it probably ending up being a generic origin flick. It'd probably work nicely as animation in that narrative style, though

Have to agree with the general consensus, definitely not needed in my opinion. Quite happy with the Tim Burton version and Gotham interpretation.

One of the best villain's of them all. But doesn't need an origin story. Naturally I'd watch it, but I'm not eager for it. Easily live without.

Have to agree with the general consensus, definitely not needed in my opinion. Quite happy with the Tim Burton version and Gotham interpretation.

They are going to ruin this.

The point of the joker is we don't know his origin and he decides to make up a story every other arc someone asks him about it (or he decides to tell someone).

Best way to solve this film is for it to cover 4-5 alternative stories of where the joker has said he came from and let the viewer "decide" for themselves which one is true, and end with the joker laughing and alluding to all the stories are false.

However I'm sure DC will be really basic and try and do a normal origins storyline. I just don't see how this can be good but DC are hell bent on ruining all of their franchises except wonder woman so they might as well go for it.
I really liked the Gotham interpretation. Definitely all I ever needed to know.

This is about as necessary as another Batman origin movie.

What a totally unnecessary film. I can't think of a single reason why they need to make this.

X.jpg

Joker is one of the most interesting characters ever created. Like Hannibal Lector.
So they did an origins movie for Lector and it wasn't enough. Took massive leaps and didn't show his development into the special kind of psychopathy.
I fear the same will come of this idea.
Or they could do too much....
Personally, I liked Jay Leto's Joker as he got the subtlety, but I didn't feel like he got the dark and scary love and desire for chaos and carnage that Nicholson demonstrated. Barely controlled animalistic rage...

Joker wants everyone to know he's the smartest guy in the room and he wants to watch the world burn, just to see the colour of it..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom