Todd Phillips' JOKER (4 October 2019) Joaquin Phoenix

Rate me

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Jared Leto felt "alienated and upset" that Warner Bros moved forward with a solo Joker film without him.

Bless.

Last edited:

scatterbug

I felt the departure from the 'traditional' depiction of the Waynes was in keeping with the rest of the movie.
Their story wasn't important to this depiction of Joker. Thomas Wayne is an antagonist here but setting up Batman wasn't necessary and kind of a sellout by Todd Phillips who has been at pains to point out this film stands alone and is not part of a wider universe.

Regardless, I thought it was still great.

HCK

For me artistically and the acting in the film were great, but in terms of entertainment and subject matter it didn't sit so well with me. Joaquin Phoenix will probably get an oscar for this and deservedly so. For me it follows a deranged, mentally ill (which covers depression etc) serial killer but it's been badged as a comic book film. It lightly touches some of the Joker origins but it goes too far into the mindset of a serial killer to be a Joker origin story and at the same time be called a comic book film.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
For me the artistically and acting the film was great, but in terms of entertainment and subject matter it didn't sit so well with me. Joaquin Phoenix will probably get an oscar for this and deservedly so. For me it follows a deranged, mentally ill (which covers depression etc) serial killer but it's been badged as a comic book film. It lightly touches some of the Joker origins but it goes too far into the mindset of a serial killer to be a Joker origin story and at the same time be called a comic book film.
Why are the two mutually exclusive ?

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Martin Scorsese almost directed the Joker

HCK

Why are the two mutually inclusive ?
Because the Joker is a comic book character and IMO needs to at least portray and pay homeage to the characters origins. There is too much artisitc license in this film and does not really reflect the origin of the Joker's character.

Fillumgeek

Jared Leto felt "alienated and upset" that Warner Bros moved forward with a solo Joker film without him.

Bless.
Let's hope he doesn't start seething in an underground style, on the way to forming a criminal organisation and becoming an unhinged individual wearing excessive face paint and a clown suit.

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Tremendous achievement by all involved. Nitpicking aside I don't think I can fault it. Disturbing, crafty and disturbing again. Joaquin Phoenix's performance was perfectly nuanced and the best I've seen this year. Got to be among his best, up there with The Master (see a bit of Freddie in his Joker), Her and Space Camp.

It got me, too! Not since the days of
The Sixth Sense has a film convinced me so completely that what I was seeing was real. In retrospect, it seems quite obvious that a got-it-together single mother wouldn't go near such an unhinged and broken individual but the film beguiled me and lulled me in to the point that it genuinely surprised me.

A film that sets your teeth, heart and arse on edge.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Let's hope he doesn't start seething in an underground style, on the way to forming a criminal organisation and becoming an unhinged individual wearing excessive face paint and a clown suit.
Art imitates life

Leto's Joker is the real Joker waiting in the background, inspired by Fleck
if they are clever they could weave this version as the sequel, the two jokers could face off as enemies.