Todd Phillips' JOKER (4 October 2019) Joaquin Phoenix

Rate me

• Total voters

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Lots of different interpretations of what was real or imagined in the movie:

Personally I thought:

Everything happened for real, apart from his relationship with the neighbour Sophie (iirc).
Regarding was he adopted/Waynes son, I initially thought his mother made it all up as per Thomas Waynes claims, but my wife interpreted it as Wayne faked the adoption certificates and had her institutionalised to hide the truth, and I now think she's right, especially after finding the photo with the note from Thomas about her lovely smile.

The only bit that casts a doubt on all the riot stuff at end for me, was the time hop from him one moment dancing on the cop car, and next moment in the asylum being interviewed. I think I choose to believe that he was just rearrested and ended up in there afterwards.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
even the director calls this a comic book film

Spooksta

You know you have seen a modern classic when every clip you see on TV or the internet makes you want to go see it again.
Im upping my rating to "Film Junk" status (Great podcast if you didnt know)
6/5

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Just an observation
every white character was bad and every black character was good. With the exception of the 2 police officers who were kinda neutral

Spooksta

Well i never noticed everyone in Black Panther was black so im not very observant, or i just dont give a hoot about colour :)
(I realise not everyone was black btw but you know what i mean lol)

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Generally speaking I don’t pick up on things like that either, this...ahem.. was so black & white, I wondered if someone was trying to make a point.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Just an observation
every white character was bad and every black character was good. With the exception of the 2 police officers who were kinda neutral
I wouldn't say they were all good. Most were pretty neutral.
His therapist in the film for example, strikes me as completely indifferent to him and is just going through the motions for her paycheck. The lady on the bus is hostile to him, and his flatmate probably ignored him except in his mind.

Probably the kindest character to Arthur is Gary the midget (white). One could argue that all the midget sized people in the film were good, and all the normal sized people were (mostly) bad. Significant? Lol.

I honestly dont think Phillips was trying to say something about race. He's gone on record saying he's fed up with woke culture.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Discretion

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Horrible, bleak, mean film. Loved it. I'm choosing to go with the most literal interpretation. Most of the alternatives I read least night are a bit of a reach and could be applied to most movies to be honest.

Particularly liked what they did with the Batman origin.

Would love a sequel.