• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Todays cost vs history

sneerfulbrute

I thought the forum might like the wisdom of some research I've done regards the cost of modern AV products. In 1982 I bought a portable version of the Betamax tape video system at a cost of £750. I just used a web based inflation calculator to see how much in today's terms that would compare to! At todays rates that would now cost you £2000! Something to think about when your complaining as you hand over £425 for a PS3!

brian s

Distinguished Member
My first basic Laserdisc machine was £500 in around 1982. That's more expensive in real terms than HD DVD and BD.

Cheers
Bri

cdb

My 21" Toshiba TV was £399 in about 1988
My first VHS machine was £399 a year later.
My Akai DPL VHS machine was £600ish in 1991ish
My first DVD player imported in the late 90s was about £550.

sneerfulbrute

FYI

Brian S At Todays prices you would have fork out £1,235

CDB For you TV £750, VHS £695, DPL VHS £980 and lastly DVD £680.

MATT JENNER

IN 1990 i bought the first philips widescreen TV

KP57 - 28 inch widescreen with stereo sound.

The picture was the first widescreen, and i paied 1699.00 ( 4 month wages)

it is still going strong even now, all it has had is a new transistor on the on off button - THEY DONT MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO!

i gave it to my sister and hubby, some time ago and it is still a pleasure to see it working and sounding fine, the colour on it still rivals some today.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom