Today i made my OLED TV decision

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Pan A Sonic, Oct 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pan A Sonic

Pan A Sonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

since wednesday i was looking for a new TV. Coming from a Philips 46PFL5507K/12 LED-TV i started my journey at my prefered Electronic Store. A very nice salesman took a lot of time to show and inform me about whats up to date regarding TVs.

I quickly recognized that the OLED-TVs will be on top on my list. I was shown LCD-TVs with awesomepicture quality, Samsungs QLED TVs and of course the OLED TVs from LG (already got a 34“ curved LG Monitor for PC gaming and love it, besides the white clouding in the corners at dark content), Sony, Philips (i worked a long time for), Sony and Panasonic.

Looking at my username its obvious what brand got my money. Panasonic. To get concrete i have chosen the TX-65EZW954 model and got a very good price.

So wednesday i got an overview about whats up on the TV market.

On thursday i returned to the shop because i was not 100% sure if i really need a 65“ TV over a 55“ TV coming from a 46“ TV. On this day there was a friendly young man ansewring all my questions i still had. I already red multiple forum threats about OLED TVs. Its not just buying a TV with good picture quality nowadays. There so many new options TVs possess. Ok. Soon i recognized that the salesman always pointed me to the LG TVs. I said: I red that Sony is good with motion handling and Panasonic TVs do colors and dark scenes very detailed. He said: Yes. But the Lg is better. The C8 is good but i recommend the new E8 with the improved picture processor. From reading the Lgs own discription regarding C8 & E8 differences its only the haptics and optics. I ended up asking when the salesman that advised me one day before is back to the office.

So.. i returned today. The salesman that turned out to be the head of the department gave me a 4 hours OLED TV-tour. Quickly the Panasonic TVs turned out to have better natural colors and white out of the box so i decided to get deeper into the comparrison between the LG C8 and the Panasonic TX-65EZW954 model. I told the salesman that his collegue couldnt show me normal (non-HD/HD) TV programms and then he enlightened me that this special young salesperson i met one day before was a LG-representative that on some days „helps“ the shop selling TVs. After that he showed me the LG and Panasonic with every hd/uhd and sd content available.

So finally... why did i chose the Panasonic TV?
    - all non-uhd content looked ways better than on the LG C8
    - the smart-tv application is a non optically „hellokitty-style“ one, very basic and intuitive
    - the remote control of the Panasonic is ways more mature than this „ohh i liked to play with it for a few minutes to experience it“ cursor control of the LG remote. I know you can also push buttons on the LG control but the Panasonic is the one i liked much better.
    - Panasonics white colors stand out of the competition

Next tuesday i can experience if my impressions also suit me in my home environment.

2. Pan A Sonic

Pan A Sonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I received the TV Tuesday morning. Yesterday i had much time to relax and play with the new toy. I dont watch in a bright room and not in a dark room... lets say slightly advanced dim room where i can still read whats written on the remote control.

First time i was afraid that the OLED TV will be too dark in movies and games... till the first bright scene hit my eyes. I was blinded by the light (the famous awesome white Panasonic is known for) lalala. I watched some scenes from the 4K HDR Deadpool movie and couldnt believe how sharp everything looks. (I remember saying the same thing when i first saw a DvD in my life). I also watched some HD and SD quality cable TV programms. HD is looking good (sitting 2,5m away from the TV). But the colores were too much. How could that be? Ahhh found it. The vivid mode has been activated. On standard or movie option the colors were perfect for me. I used the movie option a lot.

I did not read the manual and just started playing with the remote control which seems to be the best and easiest to use one. The touch-remote i jailed into the deepest corner of my desk.

The UI is very intuitive and dont look overloaded and it makes fun navigating through the options. I played a long time with LGC8 remote in a shop because that was on top of my list. Im so happy that i have chosen the Panasonic TV over the LG. I also catched the cheapest 4k Bluray Player from Panasonic the DMP-UB314EGK. It works like a charm. It got no display (never missed it) and one HDMI port for picture & audio and a good working wlan connectivity.

As is sold my PS4 i couldnt test the game mode. Im waiting for the robot white Xbox One X Bundle which i preordered, after that i have to look for a new AVR with ARC and after this i will get a PS4 pro hopefully also in white color. Thats all for the moment :D

3. 50W

50W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Is was going so well up to the part where you mentioned the word "Xbox"! But then you managed to redeem yourself by saying "PS4", so all is forgiven. ;)

Glad you like the TV, this is definitely one on my list. You mentioned your room / lighting conditions, but do you have moments of any sun and if so, how does the screen hold up?
    Is the screen well tinted or do reflections show up a lot?

Cheers.

4. BoothyIOW

BoothyIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Careful with the gaming and Burn In.

The Panasonic has an LG panel anyway so any differences you saw in store may have been their incompetence. Or Panasonic’s picture processing.

Anyway, welcome to OLED. You’ll never go back, once you’ve seen true black.

5. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,037
    My experience at the stores have been the opposite. LG always looked better than the Panny. Noticeably brighter, more vivid and.a touch sharper. I wouldn't go by in store experience though. Anyway welcome to the deep black surreal world of vertical bands lol.

6. Pan A Sonic

Pan A Sonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I added some pictures from the TV running at daytime and doing a great job as a mirror when turned off :D

HD TV-channel:

IMG_4053.jpg

mirror:

IMG_4054.JPG

I added a Marantz 1608 to my setup. It does its job very good. Setting it up is easy like sunday morning. The settings from the Audyssey-setup are satisfying. My subwoofer that is standing behind my couch in a corner near the wall fits very well into the overall sound presence after the measuring. I know theres also a Multi EQ app from Audyssey but for the meantime o can enjoy the 5.1 sound as it is.

ARC is awesome. Only one cable from TV to the AVR needed and the other stuff can also be connected with HDMI cables to the AVR. No more optical cables needed. Yippieh. I got three remote controls yet and only have to use the one of my TV most of the time. Great.

I tested two different HDMI-cables. Ofc HDMI 2.0 4K HDR 60 Hz Supermegahighspeed blablabla.

- the first one was nearly 4 times the price of the cheaper one. It had a black wooven sleeve with blue accents and was the own awesome holy grail cable from germanys next topmodel and ofc the most famous Ultra HDTV webside. I saw the same cable with other branding for half the price after a few seconds of research.

- the second cable came in nice white color that perfectly suits my white dominated room. No fancy wooven sleeve on this one.

conclusion: both delivered the same stutterfree (sound & picturewise) performance. The cheap white cable were much softer and better to handle than the fancy one. That was stiff like hell.

I starving from the need of a video ghame console. Xbox One X robot white is preordered but wont come before the 14th of Nov. and regarding the PS4 Pro i havent decided yet which bundle i shall take. Maybe the red dead redemption bundle. Will be on the market within 6 days.

7. MultiRoom

MultiRoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    It's the processing, just for the avoidance of doubt.

8. Pan A Sonic

Pan A Sonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes. The picture processing of the Panasonic is awesome. You get great pictures and colores out of the box. Especially white looks very good.

9. Pan A Sonic

Pan A Sonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ohh i forgot the most important new member of my setup :facepalm:

Remote Halterung_01.jpg

*** regarding my console choice: i canceled the preorder for the Xbox One X and preordered the PS4 Pro Red Dead Redemption bundle. I just compared available and incoming games and exclusives and 99,9% is pointing me towards the PS4 Pro. I also got Persona 5 lying around (sold my normal PS4 before i had the chance to play it) and i doubt i could convince the Xbox to play it. :D If there will be a game (for example Fable) im pretty sure my PC will handle it well. And as i already got a wireless Xbox Pad for my Pc i could also connect the Pc to the big TV and have my special "Xbox" console ***

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  10. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    My AVR has ARC but I now Need an AVR with eARC …;)

Just can't keep up :facepalm:

11. Pan A Sonic

Pan A Sonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have to write an updated impression:

As i have been very busy and only used the TV sporadic for watching TV channels i discoverd a vertical banding issue (big dark bar on the right side directly above the tv stand) very late.

I received my new Xbox One X (yes, wanted the PS4 pro first, but got a very good price for the X) and as i went into the setting screen i first saw that theres a dark bar on the right side of the green menu. I kept the position of the bar in my confused brain and as i played Darksiders and Read Dead Rdemption 2 i saw the bar moving in foggy (grey) and dark scenes escpecially annoying when the camera turned.

Once seen the bar it put its curse on me and i couldnt enjoy gaming and dark movie scenes anymore while always looking at the bar.

On monday i will get the EZW954 exchanged into the TX-65FZW804. Some review mentioned that the "vertical dark bar problem" is no issue with the 2018 panels but i dont trust it. All i want is a panel without the very present dark bar on the right side of the screen.

Picture Enjoyment without the bar would be godlike. Just wanted to add this to my impression.

Now i have to return to my small Panasonic Altar and go on praying for a good panel till monday.

Another thing... maybe someone still read my impressions. What kind of guy am i in regards of my AV-hobby? How do my senses react to specific things like noise or handling etc...?

Im living in a small apartment. I have to care about other people living next to my walls. Im happy with my b&w m1 satellite speakers and active XTZ subwoofer. I cant drive my stuff to boneshattering volumes. Thats ok. I found my audio/av-volume Yin and Yang. I can hear a nice bass impact and very good understandable movie voices at lower volumes. Satisfies me at given living conditions.

I have an old automatic controlled time-driven room-heating device on one of my walls. tictictictic... when i moved i couldnt believe that i would ever be able to condition my ears to accept this sound. But i were able to do. So thats about sound.

Buuuuuut... Yes a looooong but... when it comes to visual irritation. Speaking of the OLED vertical banding problem. Once i saw it i was not able to condition my eyes to NOT see it. My Panasonic 65 inch TV (EZW 954 model) got that problem. Ohhh how awesome is the averall performance of that TV. Wow!!! But the vertical black bar moving at grey & dark scenes... arrrrrrrrrrrr cant get it out of my eyes.

Handling of the TV is awesome in intuitive and self-explaned. Like the Marantz 1608 AVR. I like those two guys (screw Marantz performance for reading USB-Stick music... everything else is ok).

What do i wonder about? Hmm... are there avforums users that just live with visible vertical banding? If yes? Why yes?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  12. AdderNoir

AdderNoir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You're highly unlikely to get a panel with the level of perfectiont that you are looking for.

13. Pan A Sonic

Pan A Sonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Youre right. My only hope is that the black bars are less pronounced on the 804 than on the 954.

Picturequality and operation of the Panasonics is awesome. Even if there was a TV of another brand with less black bars on the same LG panel i would not change to it. So im kinda stuck. I like the remote-control so much that i ordered a fancy puppet dress for it.

I just saw an abolutely killer feature on the back of the 804. The ethernet-connector was moved to the side, so i can attach the back-cover of the TV. Yieppieh :laugh:

Joking a bit and hope i will be happy on Monday aswell. I will leave a note how the exchange turned out.

14. Pan A Sonic

Pan A Sonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got the TX-65FZW804 this morning. I had to arrange my cables to the new TV-Stand. Theres only one "feet" in the middle compared to the two "feets" of the EZW954. I was happy that all my cables fit into the cable managment inside the stand. (1x power cord, 1x thick antenna cable, 1x HDMI cable, 1x ethernet cable)

Few minutes ago i did a sw-update from 3024 to 3074. Patch is still 0220B. I will try out the 0290B patch soon. There a slight stuttering watching normal cable programms. Cant see a difference when turning on / off IFC.

But.... tatatataaaaa. I set my TV to the same settings (Pro 2) with game mode enabled like i had on my EZW954 and entered the evil grey Xbox One X setiings menu. How lovely it is to not see a big black bar in the image. After that i started the game Darksiders and run to the dark/grey wall i always used to move the camera which greatly showed the black bar problem with the EZW954 TV. No annoying black bar movement detected.

Next test will be some dark movies from netflix or amazon. Used up the free months and now im thinking which i should use in the future.

For The Moment im really happy that i exchanged the 954 and get the 804.

One strange thing happened this morning too. The delivery guys took away my 954 and when they packed out and put the 804 on my TV-board i said... wait... are you sure that not a 55" model? Maybe an optical illusion because of the smaller stand.

I hope i can enjoy the TV for a long time. I will put some garlic around the panel to scare away any banding bar monsters that will enter the panel.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 9:48 PM