Today I learned (TIL)........

They need to build a motorway between Newcastle and Edinburgh, the A1 is a joke. Especially heading South.
Indeed! It would be of far more use to ‘The North’ than the ridiculous HS2, which simply isn’t needed!

TIL that very sadly, a colleague of mine, who we all thought had beaten Covid, sadly succumbed to its effects yesterday. RIP Nick.

TIL that Dr. Christian Jessen, who you may recall was sued for libel by Arlene Foster, former leader of the DUP for tweeting about her non-existent affair, has the cheek to set up a GoFundMe begging page to pay for his £125k damages bill.

TIL that Dr. Christian Jessen, who you may recall was sued for libel by Arlene Foster, former leader of the DUP for tweeting about her non-existent affair, has the cheek to set up a GoFundMe begging page to pay for his £125k damages bill.
According to the Belfast telegraph he has £20,000 to his name (its behind the payroll, so can't reas past the headline).
I dont think anyone would think that tweeting nonsense would cost you do dearly.

TIL that French and Russian Helicopter designs have their main rotor turning clockwise, whereas others rotate counter-clockwise.

This in turn results is the situation where the Yaw pedals (which control the small rotor at the rear to compensate for torque on the main rotor) have to be used differently when applying power and adjusting the pitch of the main rotors for lift. In a US/UK helicopter, when applying power and lifting you compensate by pressing the left pedal to counteract the torque, whereas on a French/Russian helicopter you have to apply the right pedal to compensate. This makes it a bit tricky for a pilot to swap between 'makes' of chopper!

It baffles me how some celebrities can spend years in the public eye and get loads of gigs and not have much money to show for it in the end. I’d have thought this chap earned a few quid from Embarrassing Bodies and subsequent bookings.

Katie Price is another one. Been in the public eye non stop for, what, twenty years+ ? Countless tv shows, guest appearances, magazine/newspaper interviews, brand deals, earned millions, now has dirty house and major money problems.

According to the Belfast telegraph he has £20,000 to his name (its behind the payroll, so can't reas past the headline).
I dont think anyone would think that tweeting nonsense would cost you do dearly.

Depends what you say though, and libel laws do exist. It's a lesson to us that you can't get away with spouting anything on social media. Expensive one for him I think. Thing is though, he was warned by a lawyer to take down the tweet. Had he done that, it wouldn't have cost him.
And I can't believe he's only got £20k. Practicing doctor, not a low paid profession is it? Plus his media contracts (Embarrassing bodies etc). You're not telling me he hasn't got a bob or two?

It baffles me how some celebrities can spend years in the public eye and get loads of gigs and not have much money to show for it in the end. I’d have thought this chap earned a few quid from Embarrassing Bodies and subsequent bookings.

Katie Price is another one. Been in the public eye non stop for, what, twenty years+ ? Countless tv shows, guest appearances, magazine/newspaper interviews, brand deals, earned millions, now has dirty house and major money problems.

Seems like anyone can piss away vast amounts of money, if they are stupid enough to do that.
Or maybe these people aren't stupid at all, and are hiding away their wealth for tax purposes?

Depends what you say though, and libel laws do exist. It's a lesson to us that you can't get away with spouting anything on social media. Expensive one for him I think. Thing is though, he was warned by a lawyer to take down the tweet. Had he done that, it wouldn't have cost him.
And I can't believe he's only got £20k. Practicing doctor, not a low paid profession is it? Plus his media contracts (Embarrassing bodies etc). You're not telling me he hasn't got a bob or two?

Seems like anyone can piss away vast amounts of money, if they are stupid enough to do that.
Or maybe these people aren't stupid at all, and are hiding away their wealth for tax purposes?
Oh I know libel exists- I shared that story myself, so Arlene will be after me next. :)

It’s just got to be the case with Dr Jessen. I find it difficult to believe he’s that stupid.

Today I learned that if I press start on a Microwave, it'll automatically run for 30 seconds.

Today I learned that if I press start on a Microwave, it'll automatically run for 30 seconds.

If you press it twice, it will run for a minute.

If you press it twice, it will run for a minute.
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

TIL not to try things I read on AVF....

....our microwave runs for a minute by pressing start!

46FCB8E6-0CEC-442F-921E-1D8239168775.jpeg

I can't remember the last time I saw a microwave that said the right time. On our last one the only way to set the clock was to turn it on at 1.01 AM exactly, as this was the default time.

Either your microwave is 4 hours slow or you're in a different timezone.
Or do you have slow Internet and it takes 4 hours to upload a photo?
Stock image! I was jesting - well at least the picture is just a funny....

Our microwave does run for a minute as the default single button press - but I actually knew that!

Stock image! I was jesting - well at least the picture is just a funny....

Our microwave does run for a minute as the default single button press - but I actually knew that!
I guess I won't be winning any 'amazing things you spotted on photos' prizes then :D

Which tells me you probably have one of those fancy modern ones with the light-up numbers on the front.
Proper microwaves like mine of course have the original safety feature that they don't do anything if you haven't wound it up first.
That’s very eco of you using a wind up microwave... must take some winding to get it going. Every little bit helps. :lesson:
;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom