1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toca....

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by shodan, Aug 15, 2002.

1. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,417
    Hey guys,

I am REALLY excited about the up and coming TOCA TOURING Cars for the PS2. Have any of you checked it out? What is your opinion? I'm putting my pennies aside already... (Although for the cost of 4 games I could buy a Pronto...)

2. Bozza

Bozza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate works at Codemasters and he lent me a copy, he doesnt like it for various reasons (he works on the rival CM team). I thought it was good, realistic handeling, good graphics with some pop up at the 150-250 metre mark but its only little. The biggest problem is the slow down on almost every corner if there are a few cars on screen, its annoying but you get use to it, its not as bad as Toca 2 on PSX where it would make the game unplayable. Its good but I don't know if its worth £40, haveing said that I can't remember the last time I payed £40 for a game. Why do you want to get 4 copies of the game? Its not link up, It will support 4 players but only on 1 screen and with no AI cars which I find very dissapointing.

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't remember the release date of the new TOCA but if your mate lent you a copy the chances are that its a beta. I know many peeps that were able to get a beta copy of the game well before its release.. Driver was rather popular ^_^

Anyways the new TOCA seems interesting although I'm not too sure about this driver relationship thing. I can't remember if CodeMasters have decided to dump the idea or not but it would be interesting to see.

Talking about link-up I need to hook up my PS2's for some GT3 love...

4. Bozza

Bozza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No the game was not a Beta, the beta stage was in Feb, the game is out in 12 days, the game I played is the finished artical in its finished packaging, the story mode is the main part of the game so yes they have kept it. I think you may have implied that it is a copy or backup, I can say it is not. Hope this answers your question.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, didn't realise the release date was so soon... Kinda shows how much interest I have in the game ^_^ I wasn't saying that you have played a backup or anything like it. I know friends that have access to official betas and the like so I thought the same applied to you.

6. Bozza

Bozza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotcha,

Don't really look at Betas as there is too much missing from them to make a real opinion of what the game will be like. As for CM2, I've seen that running as well ( this is in the bug testing stage now ) and I am somewhat unipressed. The graphics etc are fine but the way the car handles seems odd, almost like its ona pivot. The real bull buster is that its only just as good as the Dreamcast version which was axed a year ago because Sony paid a nice sum of money to Codies.

7. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bump

8. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Bozza, guess it wasn't a finished version then as the finished game doesn't have many (if any) slowdown issues. Unfortunately the game is seriously laden with pop-up. The views are rank (with the main bonnet view being much too high), sound that ranks as the worst surround I've ever heard in a game and pretty dire loading times..and let's not forget the sickeningly third rate two player game with rank frame rates and no CPU cars..
    All in all a piece of junk that does have an addictive story (which is why I'm still playing it), let's hope Codies give us the real deal when it comes to Colin McCrae 3..:)

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roll on CMR3... I can't wait ^_^ Although I've heard that there might not be many tracks and cars... Mind you I read that ages ago and I'd still buy it.

10. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    very fun cel shaded racer a sort of cross between GT3 and Ridge Racer and some funky colours (I got it yesterday and have played non stop)

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh... I want that game alright but I wonder if it will get a European release... Actually I'm more interested to find out if an NTSC PS2 HDD would work on a chipped PAL PS2...

12. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    played it in hmv - the graphics are bad but the gameplay looks quite promising. The races are exciting. Tried brands hatch. Hopefully will be better on xbox.....;)

13. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Had a quick go last night Ryan McKane is a ******! the game seems quite good

14. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I light of playing I think this game is rubbish. The loading times are far too long.

And it suffers with two of the old problems pop up and slow down having tried it on two PS2's I know its not my machine