Toast of London

Sorry I didn't see it sooner, it's tremendous. Had me in stitches with so many scenes. Berry as Toast is brilliant, and his ongoing conflict with Ray Purchase has been brilliant. Plus the whole voiceover and Clem Fandango moments :rotfl:
My wife and I love Toast - Standout episodes for me are the very first one where he has the hoarder girlfriend and they have to squeeze through a tiny gap above all the junk to get into the room, and probably my all time favourite episode is the one where Toast and Purchase are both on top of open top double decker busses, arguing via megaphone with Purchase insisting his wife is not a prostitute, just as they pull up next to a huge bill board advertising her bedroom services :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

All great moments :D

For me I just loved the bit where Toast sleeps with Mrs. Purchase whilst Ray is snoring away. Then he wakes up and just stares at him for a moment, then falls back to sleep again. It was just brilliant :laugh:

All great moments :D

For me I just loved the bit where Toast sleeps with Mrs. Purchase whilst Ray is snoring away. Then he wakes up and just stares at him for a moment, then falls back to sleep again. It was just brilliant [emoji23]
Haha yes! I feel a rewatch is due soon. And to dig out my Clem Fandango T-shirt [emoji23]

The "Toast on Toast" hardback is going cheap (£5.74) at BOOKS etc. I've just ordered it, but I also want to get the audiobook, voiced by Matt in character as Toast.
Synopsis
In Toast on Toast - part memoir, part 'how to act' manual - Steven Toast draws on his vast and varied experiences, providing the reader with an invaluable insight into his journey from school plays to RADA, and from 'It's a Right Royal Knockout' to the Colony Club. Along the way, he reveals the secrets of his success. He discloses how to brush up on and expand your technical and vocal skills, how to nail a professional voiceover, and how to deal with difficult work experience staff in a recording studio. He also reveals the dangers of typecasting, describes the often ruthless struggle for 'top billing', and shares many awesome nuggets of advice. The end result is a book that will inspire and educate anyone who wants to tread the floorboards. It will also inform (and entertain) anybody who simply wants to discover what a jobbing actor's life is actually like. Includes a detailed index for quick and easy orientation.

image.jpg

Screenshot_20170911-204147.jpg

Sorry not new Toast, but this one-off from Matt and Arthur, which aired on BBC2 on Tuesday night ...
Cult favourite Matt Berry offers his unique take on Brexit in this one-off comedy special to mark the passing of the Article 50 deadline. Reuniting with collaborator Arthur Mathews for the first time since Toast of London, Berry plays rogue historian Michael Squeamish, who is on a mission to discover the origins of Brexit, and offer some interesting opinions on Britain's current plight along the way. Through creative use of archive footage and filmed interviews, Road to Brexit unashamedly plays fast and loose with the facts to create a joyously surreal whistle-stop tour of Britain's relationship with Europe, from the 1950s right up to Brexit.

Excellent mate, totally missed this. Thanks for posting that @krish

Missed that too, will have a look on iPlayer later.

I assume since it's been so long since the last series that Toast is toast? ;)

Ah well, at least I have my Darkplace and Snuff Box DVDs to be going on with in the meantime. :)

Get in. Best news of the week so far!

Squeamish About returns to BBC Two this Thursday at 10:30pm...

Q&A with Arthur Matthews

Can you let us know how the idea for Squeamish About... came about? Where did the idea for the series originate from?

Michael Squeamish presented Road To Brexit last year on the BBC. We featured a lot of archive clips in that programme, so we were asked to use the character again to present a show using only existing footage, as going out and about with a film crew wasn’t possible due to Covid 19.

The show explores four key topics: Relationships, Entertainments, Countryside and London. What made you want to have Michael Squeamish delve deeper into these topics?
They’re all fairly broad and wide-ranging subjects - so more archive footage to choose from. Also: sex, music halls, animals and show business.

When viewing the archive footage for the series, did you come across any footage that particularly stood out to you?
We had a brilliant researcher called Clare Darken. She found a vast amount of amazing stuff, mostly from the 1960s and 70s. Among my favourites was a programme about a Lonely Hearts dating agency, and another about a trip to the seaside with members of a Yorkshire Workingman’s Club. Also I really liked a series called Nairn Across Britain from 1972, presented by Ian Nairn (a sort of 1970s Jonathan Meades).

What do you enjoy the most about writing comedies?
Seeing totally weird, off-the-wall ideas being realised onscreen. With this show, I enjoyed finding old footage which could be re-voiced and totally taken out of context.

Where do you draw your inspiration on writing comedy from?
Mostly TV shows I used to watch avidly: Reeves And Mortimer, The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin, Fawlty Towers, Harry Enfield - and lots more. I was also greatly influenced by Bruce McCall, an artist and illustrator who worked for The New Yorker and various American humour magazines.

How was it to collaborate with Matt Berry again following the success of Road To Brexit?
Very good. Matt’s voiceover can make anything funny.

What is your writing process like - did you each take on different episodes? How do you collaborate together?
Matt did Countryside and Relationships. I did London and Entertainments. There was some back and forth with each other’s episodes after we’d done first drafts.

What can audiences expect when they tune in to Squeamish About…?
Matt Berry and weird archive footage.

Did anyone see/enjoy this?

I love Matt Berry (most in 'Garth Merenghi's Darkplace'), and so was gutted to only find out about this show this week!!
I checked on Sky catch-up, on 4OD, but there was only the last (shown) episode available, which I think was the last show of the series. I downloaded it anyway, but really, I want to watch it from the start.

I would assume my only chance of seeing the first shows now would be on youtube, please do let me know if there are any other options.
In Toast they have created a monster, a fabulous thespian one. The whole thing is of great imagination and surreality.

In Toast they have created a monster, a fabulous thespian one. The whole thing is of great imagination and surreality.
You should also check out his equally surreal Year of the Rabbit (not actually written by him; renewed for a second series) ...

Possibly the best news of 2020.

I hope Ray goes along for the ride as well.

^^ Ditto. I have a feeling that whatever plot device sees Toast going to Hollywood, they'll be a similar one for Ray Bloody Purchase (and hopefully Mrs P) :thumbsup:

MB

The Clem fandango thing cracks me every time......I've no idea why it's so funny

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom