To Zoom Or Not To Zoom

O

Oh Contrary!

Hi everyone (or at least those responding),

If you have the choice of having a projector at a distance of 20 feet from the screen with no zoom applied or the same projector at a distance of 10 feet with full zoom applied (both resulting in the same screen size) which is better?

Thanks everyone (or at least those responding),

Tally ho!

Chris.

'If everyone stopped wanting more wouldnt there be more for everyone?'

Hi Spylab and thanks for the prompt reply. Is that the general feeling that the optimum set up is to apply half zoom and position the projector accordingly? I have the option of purchasing a projector and positioning it 10 feet from the wall on full zoom or one that will sit on the back wall and project 20 feet, but ideally I need one at 15 feet on half zoom?!

Thanks again,

Chris.

To be honest. I've never noticed any difference in terms of minimum and maximum zoom. And i'm betting that once you sit back and watch the movie you won't either.

Just get the PJ that suites your needs in terms of performance, connections, warranty etc... As long as you can get the pj to fill the screen at the preferred mounting location you'll be fine.

Hi cyberheater - how are you? Many thanks for that - in which case I shall go for the 'long throw' as that is more convenient. I had thought that as the 'projection' was travelling further it maybe less pronounced and have less clarity.

Thanks again - bravo!

Chris.

Ps Just in case you happened to have seen them both have you a preference between a Sanyo Z4 and the Panasonic PTAE 900 with a slight emphasis on which will cope better with ambient light?

If you want a LCD machine to fight ambient light then you might want to consider the TX200. It has a flexible iris and can go very bright if it needs to.

Mmmmm By all accounts a very well reviewed projector (and my favoured for many reasons), but from what I have read it suffers when using the iris to increase brightness. In addition at 20 feet the minimum screen size is some 10feet! Shame because it is a promising prospect. Is this a projector you use?

No. I had the TX100 which was a great PJ. The TX200 improves on it in almost every aspect.

As a matter of interest at what distance from the screen did you place the projector and did you use the zoom function at all? Did you find that it dealt with some ambient light (perhaps enough to read a newspaper by) reasonably well?

I'd be grateful for your experience in this matter! belisimo!

I had my tx100 about 4.5m from a 2m wide screen and used zoom to ensure the screen was filled.

With the iris opened fully, the image was too bright for normal viewing. I always had the iris set at it's lowest position because I always watched films in as close to blackout as I could get it

I think I will take another look at the Hitachi although I think it would not sit 20 feet back and provide a reasonable size screen.

I'll let you know! Chris.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom