to zoom or not to zoom ..yadya yada yada

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by laurence harvey, Dec 30, 2000.

1. laurence harvey

laurence harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi eveyone, im very new to dvd, got panasonic 32 dk1 and tosh 200e, my question is some dvds play with black lines top and bottom [mainly 2:35.1 aspect] a few play full screen.[diff aspect], am I susposed to zoom the dvd or tv to get full screen on these films as I loose a little clarity or am I susposed to watch with the lines there ...yours embarrisingly harve..hope someone can help pl..

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    On a 16-9 tv, 2.35-1 will show black bars. if yoy zoom in the black bars go, but the picture blurs also you miss some picture from the sides!. Or you could stretch the picture vertical but people look tall and thin. you will get used to the black bars, but i guess you bought a 16-9 tv to get rid of this. Just a hint, 2.35-1 looks amazing on a 7 foot wide toshiba lcd MT1z front projector!(£2250 inc vat+ 3 yr warr).

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

3. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.85:1 films will fill a 16:9 w/s TV. 2.35:1 and the like don't.

I must admit I never notice the black bars (although turning the lights out helps lots! [​IMG] ). I don't like losing bits of the picture or distorting people so I usually go with the native format sans any zoom.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK