1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Z3, or not to Z3?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pulsar, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Hi guys.

I am looking to get back into front projection again, and I just wanted to check a few things before I pull the trigger. Here are the sources I hope to use:

-HTPC for DVD and HDTV films
    -XBOX 360 (720p via component)
    -Sky (RGB until SkyHD)

I used to own a Sony HS10 which I thought was very good, but I am hoping to see an improvement in PQ with the next projector I buy. I am currently set to buy one of the bargain Sanyo Z3's that are abvailable from NexNix for £680, but just wanted a few opinions first. I have read some information on the new crop of projectors that are coming out shortly, with the greatly increased (quoted) CR. I have justified to myself that say a Z4 would not show a massive improvement over the Z3 to justify spending twice as much now. I thought I would get a bargain Z3 now, and wait for 1080p LCD's to become more affordable in the next year or so. How sensible do you guys think this is?

Cheers

Rob

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    I do have another question. Can anyone please confirm what refresh rates the projector can accept from a HTPC at native resolution?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Hey guys.

Doesn't anyone have an opinion on this? Sorry to bug you.

Rob

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,298
    Well, it's a bargain at the moment and you won't be disappointed trust me. I think it's very sensible getting a Z3 at the moment because the price/performance ratio is fantastic, it's a great projector at frankly silly money at the moment. I can't remember the refresh rates from a PC but I never had a problem with it synching with my HTPC when I had it, I tended to use 50hz for PAL and 60hz for NTSC if I remember rightly. Just buy one mate, honestly you won't regret it, 3 yr warranty as well remember!

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Thanks for that Andy, thats what I wanted to hear. Order being placed ASAP.

Cheers

Rob

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,298
    Might be worth getting some of those filters someone was selling on here, supposed to make quite a difference (my Z3 looked fine without filters!). Hope you get one, they're getting hard to get apparently!

7. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Have just ordered online with NexNix, so heres hoping. :smashin:

I will probably look at tweaking once I have it all setup and running sweet. I still have to decorate/renovate the cinema room, but I didn't want to miss out.

Thanks again.

Rob

8. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I've been saving up for a z3 for some months now, but now that I can finally afford it, the free lamp offer is over and altho nexnix do it for £692, I think I'd have rather paid the ton and got the lamp. Another thread mentions the £830 ivojo offer now being sold out too. What with the z4 and the next gen pjs on their way from epson, panny and hitachi, I wonder whether this deal'll be getting any better.

I know that you'll all tell me just to buy now or else I'll end up always waiting for the next best thing, but I don't want the next best thing, I just want to pick up its predecessor on the cheap cos money is a factor. I was rather tempted to see if the tx200 coming out meant the tx100 would drop to around £700 (anyone know when its coming out and what its official price peg is?), but upon reading some old posts from back when the z3 was a few hundred more than the hitachi, the whole generation was considered by most to be pretty samey, with each model having its pros and cons, and if anything, the z3 was felt to be the slightly better machine (please correct me if I'm wrong). I have an old pj completely clogged up with irremoveable dust, so I can understand why this is such a boon. Altho the tx100 certainly looks cooler, I think I'd take the z3 even if they were the same price. But I still can't buy now when the release of the z4 (mid-Oct according to nexnix) could mean the z3 drops to £500-600, or one of the stores that's still got some free lamp vouchers starts competing with nexnix's price...

My only other question is if anyone knows the difference between the £692 offer from shop.nexnix.co.uk and the £703 offer from shootandshow.co.uk? I find neither page particularly informative (especially the cheaper one) and I'd like to know if they both have the 3yr warranty and stuck pixel check (and why the f*** there's no free lamp any more...)?

Please help me. I don't know what to do with my hard-earnt funds.

9. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The free lamp offer was probably to help clear stock. Now that the Z3 has sold like hot cakes they removed the offer. Thats my 2p anyway.

Im waiting for the Z4 / AE900 personally and hope to keep that one for at least 3 years. Will wait till around xmas before purchasing tho.

Anim

10. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    There have been threads on the forum for a few weeks saying that stocks of the Z3 are running low, so if you want one, buy it now for £700 before they sell out completely.

The Z4 is likely to be at least £500 more for several months yet.

Nexnix charge an extra £25 for a pixel check IIRC.

11. simongwynne

simongwynne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Does anywhere have these in stock anymore (for around the 700 quid mark)?

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    All things being equal I'd definitely take the TX100, however I would say that wouldn't I?! The Z3 price and the 3 year warranty (not forgetting the free bulb though that offer looks over now) tip the balance in the Z3's favour.

I bought my TX100 almost a year ago and it cost £1000. It's not much cheaper now which is amazing considering how other PJs have dropped. Part of the reason I guess is the fact that it was by far the cheapest way into HD projecting at the time - Hitachi priced it very competitively and I'm surprised more people didn't go for it. However, the price is not a differentiator any more...PJ :)

13. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Hi.

Just a quick progress report. I have phoned NexNix and confirmed with them that I secured one of the last Z3's last night. They are out of stock now, which is a shame.

I shall let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Cheers

Rob

14. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The Z3 sounds like an awesom projector. I'm sure all you guys will be gobsmacked when it comes.

So jelous