1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Z3 or not to Z3, that is the question!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by l33750rz, Oct 15, 2005.

1. l33750rz

l33750rz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, well I pretty much have the PJ narrowed down to either a Z3 or a Z4. I am trying to decide which one I want. If someone can enlighten my why the Z4 is "better" than the Z3. Alternatively, if someone can give me some reasons why the Z3 is better than the Z4 that would be great also!

Things that I am looking for:

Spectacular picture even on a wall rather than a screen.
    Suits the need of a Bedroom about 16' by 14' (14 wide).
    Able to adjust to be vibrant and show dark colors even in a room with white walls.
    A great remote control
    Able to connect HDMI DVD Player, HD Cable, XBOX, PS2, Gamecube, PC, as well as other devices.

Please keep in mind that this is my first projector and I know that I need to decide quickly before I am not able to get my hands on a Z3. Please let me know you input and give any suggestions that you feel are needed.

Thanks in advance!

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Rone has just sold his Z3 for the Z4 and hates it.. He is well respected and seems to now the in's and out's technically, I've just received my Z4, and can notice the auto-iris that Sanyo are using, it is a different algorithm to panasonic, but it seems auto iris is a defintie no-no.. I think based on Rone's it will be being returned tomorrow and I will wait for thje AE900 reviews.. before being so dman hasty next time..

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think "hate" is too strong, and doubtless had he bought the Z4 without owning the Z3 first he'd be well pleased.

That said the Z4 doesn't seem to be worth the extra vs the Z3's low price... if you can find a Z3 now...PJ

PS Remember the thread on how poor the Panasonic's 1yr warranty and customer service is... I'd be looking closely at the Epson TW600 if I were in the market to upgrade...

4. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has the Panasonic got a bad warranty :rotfl: :rotfl: Yes! I'd be looking at the Epson PJ with its 3 year quick call out warranty!!

5. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Don't know what your budget is, but the Hitachi PJTX200 is absolutely "stunning" looking, giving a well bright picture even in a well light room!

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Have you seen one operating in the flesh, if so do tell more!! :)

I only didn't mention the TX200 because Hitachi also only give a 1yr warranty. Judging by the performance of my TX100 the TX200 may well be an extremely capable machine!...PJ

7. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yep!

Saw it at CEATEC 2005, they had the best display setup!

All others except Panasonic had dedicated "theatre rooms" so right away you enter a pitch black room - how off putting is that!

The Hitachi stand had two machines projecting onto fixed panels on their stall with florescent lighting as well as the exhibition halls own lighting. They looked as bright as the DLP and plasma panels on other stalls around them, they instantly grabbed my attention and i wanted to see more in their darkened room..Dynamite, I want one - but really want to upgrade to 1080 panel!!

You can read more in my thread over on HDTV...

8. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    PJTX100 is on the money.

I don't hate the Z4 (though I was initially very frustrated) coming to the Z4 for the first time or if it's your only option then great. After all it's no more expensive than the 3 at launch.)

But yes, I am struggling in all honesty to give the Z4 a massive thumbs up over the 3.

We do have to be cautious though, the Z3 took me a year to get the best out of, who knows the Z4 could still have things to unlock.

You always have to consider personal preference... who am I to say what is right and wrong!

9. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Demon, i would just stay with it for a while.

The AE900 is bound to have some shortcomings. The Z4 is not a bad projector just not a great upgrade.

Unless you can swap without losing cash I would hang-fire see how the battle pans out.

I have put up some stuff on the tweak thread about auto-iris and a mode to try. Give it a shot!