1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To XGA or not to XGA

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ani4ani, Nov 12, 2001.

1. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Ignoring manufacturer, would a XGA projector produce better image quality than a SVGA projector when connected to say a S-VHS source?

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Higher panel resolution doesn't automatically guarantee better picture performance.

An S-VGA resolution projector which has a good de-interlacer and scaler will often outperform an XGA unit with inferior processing. You need to look at the whole package, not just the specs.

Regards

3. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I thought that this might be the case. I currently have a Sony CS2 [which I am very pleased with considering my budget], however I have been offered a Sony CX1 at about 1/2 price, i.e. less than I paid for the CS2 - In your view would the CX1 offer me anything new?

thx for the help btw

Pete

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Pete,
    I guess the deal on the CX1 is because it is being/has been replaced by the CX2?

If you are happy with your CS2 then I wouldn't change. IMO the extra resolution isn't going to make a huge difference in picture quality with ordinary video sources. Investing in an iScan de-interlacer would make a bigger improvement (but you should check compatibility before parting with your cash). If you plan to goes down the Home Cinema PC route then the CX1 might make more sense.

Regards