1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Upgrade or Not?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Desmo, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,761
    I currently own a Sony DVP-S315, the original sony to hit the market.
    Now this player does me just fine at the moment but I feel the need to upgrade and update myself a bit.

With about £500 to spend on a new player, is it worth upgrading now or is there some new feature worth holding out for?

I'd like a multi-disc player, not too bothered about DVD-Audio (but would be nice just in case) and would like the ability to play MP3's.
    I know Tosh are releasing the SD500-E, and this seems to cover all I need for now.

I just don't want to buy something now when the next "big thing" is about to hit the shelves.

If you guys say there is nothing worth waiting for in the next 6-9 months then I'm off shopping :)

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ensure that your new player will be RCE compatible. 500 quid seems a lot if there is no urgent need for the upgrade.
    The "next big thing" will be recordable DVD and perhaps 'real' universal players, but they will probably cost a bomb in the beginning.
    Not daring to ask for PAL progressive, SDI or Firewire connection (yet) ....

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,761
    Yeah, I was thinking about recordable but how do long do we have to wait and it's going to cost big bucks too.

I might just hold off a while longer as I'm meant to be saving for a deposit on a house.
    The problem being when I get the house I won't have much spare cash to splash out on a new player so I've got to time it just right :)

4. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I am waiting to upgrade. In a recent mag they mentioned something about Nuon DVD (not sure how you spell it). This is the only thing stopping me upgrading so if someone says that Nuon isn't worth waiting for I will probably opt for the new Samsung DVD VHS combi.

5. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would say wait till at least the end of the year before you buy a new DVD Player. As for recordable DVD, forget that. Any new technology is likely to cost loads and also the performance of normal DVD Playback will be affected. This is because the cheapest recordable enabled components will be used.

Hold off tile December I say, i hear Toshiba will have some nice players then.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Sorry, but your comments don't make any sense at all, how can adding the ability to record affect playback in any negative way? :confused:

7. RobUK

RobUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. Though I'd stick my oar in!!

To me DVD recordable is just NOT where its gonna be !!

What are you gonna record ? TV ? old films? Why ??

Use a VCR

Surely the advantage of DVD is better picture quality and 5.1 digital surround sound

You aint gonna get that on DVD recordable are you if the source is naff ?

Also what about deleting old recordings - does the dvdR move the other recordings forward to fill the space - I think not.

I wonder what a fragmented DVD would play like ?

If you want to record Red Dwarf or similar then whats wrong with a nicam VCR. DVD wont make it any better !!!

8. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    RobUK,

Good points. I would only add that with hard disk recorders (TIVO, etc) about to take greater market share they seem a much better way to go - they have the edge over vcrs in their ability to 'intelligently' record your faves.

Besides, anyone with a cinema in a dedicated room separate from their tv would get little benefit from a recordable.

I don't have anything except dvd (and N64 which looks pretty cruddy no an 8' screen) in my cinema for reasons of quality which is exactly the point you make.

9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,761
    I was thinking the same thing just before reading your reply Rob.
    Why would I need to record onto DVD?

There just doesn't seem to be any real need.
    Maybe in a good few years when every broadcast is digital with 5.1 sound then it might be worthwhile.

I think I'll wait a while longer and see what crops up.

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Pot quiz, 1) what is the resolution of VHS?
    2) What resolution is broadcast TV? 3) Can a recording of Red Dwarf be improved using a higher resolution recording device than VHS?

You are right though in saying that a DVD recorder might not be the answer, the biggest problem isn't the hardware, it's the media. A 5Gb disk costs £20.

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If I am not mistaken a TV broadcast comes in at 625 lines (at best, PAL) and a VHS VCR can do around 250 lines only.
    Therefore a recording device with higher resolution (S-VHS is already one available right now) should give an advantage.

Besides, who says I want / need to record from TV only?
    It could be DVD to DVD, HDR to DVD (ignoring copy protection issues) or DV (camcorder) to DVD, whatever ...

However recordable DVD is of course not a "must-have" feature, in fact I think personally I would prefer a harddisk recorder over that.
    It just depends on your needs and I mentioned it just as a point to consider in the same way as Firewire, PAL progressive or SDI.

Whatever you consider as important and worth waiting for (or not) is totally up to you.

12. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The resolution of most std TV's is around 540 lines.

VHS gives a max of 260 ish
    S-VHS maxes at around 400
    Laserdisc tops out at 450
    DVD at around 500 (or 540 if Toshibas claims are valid!)

It's important to note that resolution is defined horizontally. ALL 'PAL' output devices produce a 625 scan line picture (in fact it's 575 active scan lines, and 480 for 'NTSC') - (

Oh and before any smarty pants jumps in I know these 2 terms should more correctly be used to define the colo(u)r format, no matter.)

13. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the best recording - DVHS is the way to go but it does cost at least £750 to buy a deck.

I suppose from a cost pov you cant go wrong with a SVHS deck - excellent quality for incredibly low prices.

With recordable DVD - well the standards wars are a real mess and I'd expect anything broadcast in 5.1 to be copy protected so that home recordings couldnt be made.

I'd go for a player upgrade now - PAL progressive is probably a long way off and of course you'd need a prog capable display. DVD Audio is extremely thin on the ground, but you can get the Panasonic A7 or the Technics A10 from Techtronics for excellent prices. I bought an A7 from them and am very happy with it.

14. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been thinking of upgrading too. My current player is a Pioneer 525. I'm certain that players like Pioneer 737 etc. would be theoretically much better. However, what I've been trying to find out is could the difference be seen on a 36 inch TV set (Philips 36PW9525) or would upgrading only make sense with better displays like projectors or HDTV's (lucky Americans..). I do know of the progressive capabilities of the higher end DVD players, but what's important for me at the moment is the interlaced output.

Any ideas? I guess some day I have to get one on trial..

15. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,761
    This is what I'm wondering about.
    I've got a 32" Sony Wega and I'm wondering will I get a better picture or see any benefit from a new player.

Arrgghhhh, decisions, decisions.