1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To upgrade or not to upgrade....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by steveo219, Jul 4, 2005.

1. steveo219

steveo219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Work starts this week on my house extension - to include a home cinema room :smashin:

Obviously Bob the Builder now owns my entire bank account, mortgage and rights to my first born daughter (luckily, got 2 boys!) so upgrading my kit is a bit of a tricky one....

Basically I want a speaker upgrade. I currently have old Mission 702e fronts and the matching centre (plus unmentionable rears) with an REL 150 sub.

I was thinking of keeping the sub (the best bit!) and upgrading the rest, perhaps to the m34i Package (2 x m34i - m3C2i - m3DS) at around £500. But I'm not sure if I'll notice a massive difference over keeping the 702s and adding just the rears and a better centre???

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? Budget is tight as mentioned above. Alternatively, will I get as good a sound in a room 20ft by 15 by just adding sats to my existing REL (if so, which ones?).

All help gratefully received ;)

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wait for the building work to finish. It will almost certainly take more money than you had planned to get the room exactly as you want.

Then, by the time you actually need the gear, better stuff may be available!

3. TarPot

TarPot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    This is a coincidence. My home cinema extension starts next week. I too have a Rel 150e! All the best with your project mate!

4. steveo219

steveo219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

I'm very realistic as to what the eventual REAL cost of the build will be, hence the conservative upgrade options.

However. I'm facing 4 months of misery (and poverty!) living on on building site. SWMBO can placate herself dreaming of pastel paintcharts and swishy curtains, so I'm trying to cheer myself up by imagining what new toys I can fill the place with!!!! Have already opted for a 2m ceiling mounted screen and screenplay 4805 projector...... oops, getting carried away again!

Cheers

Steve