to upgrade or not to upgrade

siddrummer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi should i upgrade to the 4s from the 4? convince me!:lease:

Cheers

if its going to cost you a lot of money then no, if free or very cheap then yes

I'd go further and say upgrade ONLY if free.
I really cannot see even one single reason to upgrade.
I'd hold onto your upgrade until iP5 and discount your tariff for now.

Either buy a used iPhone 4 now and wait until next year for the iPhone 5 to upgrade on your contract, as it will be a big improvement over the 4 and well worth upgrading..

OR,

Get the iPhone 4S now if you can get a good upgrade deal, and don't feel bad when the 5 comes out (or sell the 4S and get a sim-free 5 from Apple when it does come out!)

The 4S has an improved camera (noticeably so) but apart from that it's not much better. Siri is quite limited, especially in the UK at present and I think is still a bit of a gimmick, although it looks very promising in the long run, maybe when it's updated and when iOS 6 comes along... but for now the only reason to really want a 4S is the camera (still images are much nicer, which is saying something, as the iP4 has a great camera anyway, and the video quality is also improved, with the added bonus of image stabilisation, which helps make the videos a lot smoother and does work very well, from what I've seen.)

The 4S has an improved camera (noticeably so) but apart from that it's not much better. Siri is quite limited, especially in the UK at present and I think is still a bit of a gimmick, although it looks very promising in the long run, maybe when it's updated and when iOS 6 comes along... but for now the only reason to really want a 4S is the camera (still images are much nicer, which is saying something, as the iP4 has a great camera anyway, and the video quality is also improved, with the added bonus of image stabilisation, which helps make the videos a lot smoother and does work very well, from what I've seen.)

Yes the camera and maybe the 64gb version for more storage if your into your music or whatever else. Siri is a bit limited, the novelty of asking it various questions has worn off for me and I hardly use it at all. Speed wise its hardly any different to the IP4, although I don't think many apps have been created yet that make use of the A5 processor so things might change on that front.

Not very promising so far. Looks like the only benefit is the camera. Upgrading sounds like a really expensive improved camera option then? Not really worth the cash.

Thanks for feedback. Any other views?

i agree that its not really worth the upgrade
my brother got one and yeah you notice the difference on photos and he can play silly buggers with siri but thats it
its an expensive upgrade for nothing extra really seeing as the iphone 4 camera is excellent anyway
also why tie yourself into another contract when you can stay on yours (assuming your on contract) and lower your tariff in the mean time until another iphone is released with better specs

Not very promising so far. Looks like the only benefit is the camera. Upgrading sounds like a really expensive improved camera option then? Not really worth the cash.

Thanks for feedback. Any other views?

If you were planning on getting the same size phone as the IP4 (16gb or 32gb) then even less reason to upgrade. I went for the 64gb because I have a lot of music and wanted the extra storage but I never had an iPhone before. My mates who have the IP4 its hard to tell the difference. If I had the IP4 before I wouldn't bother. They look exactly the same and as said before unless you use your camera a great deal then not really worth spending a lot of money on.

I find running iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone 4 very, very slow that I had to revert back to iOS 4.3.3 JB.

If you want to enjoy using iOS 5.0.1, upgrade to iPhone 4s and sell iPhone 4.

I'll do the same when Untethered Jailbreak is out because I can't live without JB

I had a similar dilemma. I had an iPhone 4 , sold it to try out android and my contract ended but badly wanted an iPhone again... Weighing up the cost and lenght of contracts on the phones i went with the iPhone 4 again on a 12 month contract. With the next iPhone out next year it means i wont be that many months behind with the older phone...

Also played with iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s side by side and didnt notice a great deal of difference.. though im sure the difference will be greater in 6 months time.

Sticking with my 4 until 5 is out. iOS5 works absolutely fine on mine and I can wait to use Siri as it will surely improve ready for when 5 comes out. I've had the 4 over a year now and it's flown by so waiting less than a year on a cheaper contract is fine for me.

Thanks for your comments. I rang O2 and they offered me a free 4s and more minutes for the same monthly payment of 35. Or alternatively sim only deal and keep ip4 for 11.50 per month. Judging on what people are saying I can't see the point in getting the 4s. Decision made!

Thanks for your comments. I rang O2 and they offered me a free 4s and more minutes for the same monthly payment of 35. Or alternatively sim only deal and keep ip4 for 11.50 per month. Judging on what people are saying I can't see the point in getting the 4s. Decision made!

How many minutes, data, etc in the £11.50 deal?

How long was the contract.

I'm on simplicity, but I'm paying £27 a month rolling one month contract.

Back on topic, I bought a 4S, but I've gone back to using a 4, because of the static noise issue.

The iP 4, I've just bought off these forums, seems to run as quick as the 4S, okay the occasional stutter, but nothing else.

The only thing missing is Siri, and I had that turned off anyway.

I think you made a wise decision, just wish I had been, instead of wanted the latest...

Hi 11.50 deal was 300 mins unltd texts and 500mb data. I told call handler that I could get similar on Giff Gaff for 10 per month. I work all over the country and O2 3G signal is poor compared to a colleague who is on t mobile. Basically he's watching you tube and I can't get a signal! So in the end I've gone with T mobile sim only deal 12 per month 300 mins unltd texts and unltd internet. Job done.

O2 11.50 deal was 12 months but with option to upgrade at any time.

Hi should i upgrade to the 4s from the 4? convince me!:lease:

Cheers

I am sure iphone 4 did not come cheap and iphone 4s won't come cheap either. So, if you already own an iphone 4, I don't think it would be a good idea to buy iphone 4s of course, knowing the fact that it is an upgraded version. If you are really fond of Apple devices, wait for the next generation iphone, probably iphone 5 and till then iphone 4 should be good enough to serve you efficiently.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom