To upgrade or not to Upgrade that is the question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by gadgetman, Dec 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Okay I`ve had my Pioneer 434hde plasma tv for possibly 3 years and have been extreemly happy with it. But with hddvd out with full high definiton at 1080p I`m considering going for a Sony 46x2000 lcd or maybe the 46w2000. I know my Pioneer plasma is classed as hd but now 1080 screens are out I`m considering upgrading. I already have hddvd and use my xbox 360 for high definition gaming and to send high definiton videos to my Pioneer. The question is will I really tell the difference between 720 and 1080 or more importantly will my wife or is it just the upgrade virus screaming UPGRADE UPGRADE

2. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    A bit of both I reckon. I've got the same dilemma as I bought my 32" LG just about a year ago as a stop-gap. I'd wait for the new Sharp range to be introduced before you jump for the Sony though, see the HD1E thread for details.

3. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If you're still happy then I'd wait till 2008 at the earliest.

4. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Why 2008?

5. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    1080P will be better established and there will be a better idea of some new technology. I don't think the current crop of 1080Ps are worth the money.

6. jrturbo

jrturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I also of the opinion that the current Full HD panels are not worth paying the premium for them, Flat screen displays are still on a downward price trend and features keep going up.

As far as i am aware there is not lot of HD material available yet, and HD screens are still in their infancy, i would wait as least untill the next generation of screens becomes available by most manufacturers, which will probably be midway through 2007, I would expect most of the panels to incorporate LED backlighting which will cut down power consumption and heat output, and improved screen response which will probably almost eliminate blurring from fast moving scenes and expect to save aprox 20% in cost as added bonus ( which would no doubt help towards any objections your wife may have )

I think in your case you could hold off replacing your screen untill then since you currently have a decent display.

Hope this helps

Regards

Joe Rubido