Answered To update SKY HD+ to SKY Q or not

petrolhead

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering SKY Q. Currently have SKY HD+

Sky have offered an upgrade where I pay £115 for a 2TB box and one mini box plug the package price will remain the same cost. Does this seem like a good deal?

I have two concerns:

If I decide I don't like it I would like to be able to revert back to SKY HD+. From what I have read when they install SKY Q they change the LNB which is not backwards compatible. I could sk the engineer to leave me the old LNB or I have head you can get a dual SKY HD/Q LNB?

I have also hear that some people are having network problems between the 2TB box and mini box. Is this a big problem?

Sky have offered an upgrade where I pay £115 for a 2TB box and one mini box plug the package price will remain the same cost. Does this seem like a good deal?

Hard to say... what is the current package and price?

Sky Q is great and for me it was a good upgrade - many plus points but with initial cost:
- great 4K picture quality if you have a 4K TV and some content already in UHD
- I have two Mini boxes with two other TV's in house and all can watch whatever they like
- records up to 6 programs at once and 2TB space is vast (my old HD was always full)
- menu is easy to use

For me the negatives are only that there are no program reminders in the TV guide........

As for the LNB - Yes they have to change it but I don't know if they will leave old one or install hybrid.

Initially there were network issues depending on your Wi-fi signal - as a Sky Broadband customer I also got a free automatic Hub upgrade to the Q Hub and the engineer installed a Wi-fi booster for my 2nd Mini. I have also turned on the Powerline network on all of my boxes and now everything is pretty stable.

You posted 4 away from No Sky here.

Hmm, I thought I was in the Sky section when I posted, doooooooh.

Can you move this plz

I had Sky Q installed just under a year ago and it is generally fantastic. I have had a few problems with the SKY Q box crashing and also a blue screen error on turning the TV on (This is caused by the Sky Q box not recognising my TV (LG Oled 55C6) as HDCP certified). I don't know how common this is but turning the TV off and on normally fixes it.

Sky did install a hybrid LNB for me but I had to request it at the time of ordering and also insisted on it when the engineer arrived

Hope this Helps

I have the same setup as you are considering and I can highly recommend it. That said, I got it on a deal as a new customer so can't compare the costs. I paid £60 installation and got a 2TB box, with a mini box and I am paying £47 a month for all the channels.

As for the hardware - it is great, love the menus, the remote, the picture, just works great. Never use the app for viewing on the go but it does work well when I have tested it.

Never had the boxes crash, never had a network dropout and the wifi works great on the mini box.

Q - I believe he is attempting re-entry sir

But yes Q is better, although you will ditch the "touch" remote after 30 seconds or descend into a pit of despair.

So what remote do you use if you ditch the std one ie can a sky HD remote work with it

I think the HD remote does work but the 2tb comes with a standard Q remote as well as the touch one. I actually like the touch one though

Sky Q, definitely.

The only real drawback for me is that the boxes sometimes crash or lose connection. However, this is usually easily fixed, and now I think about it, it hasn't happened for a while.

I presume updates have fixed things.

I used to have the old Sky box and used a splitter to feed another room. The Q box and Mini enable me to ditch the splitter and let both boxes work independently of each other, which is great. All connections are via Ethernet, which is super reliable. ( Never use Wi Fi apart from my phone and tablet. Too slow, and unreliable. ) UHD is available on F1 and some series eg. "Riviera" - the latter I downloaded the complete series in UHD and viewed it with no advertising - before all the episodes were broadcast in HD, which did have adverts ! UHD really shows up the great camera work on series such as this, and F1. Would not go back to the old system now. One downside is that the Mini does not output in UHD, but that will come later, maybe. My only real gripe is that there is no editing s/w to get rid of the cr**verts, or means of extending the storage via the ( redundant ) USB port.

I have had Sky Q installed for about 3 months now. I love it but my partner isn't so pleased. She doesn't dislike it but she just prefers Sky+ as it just worked. She doesn't like the touch remote either but I really like it, takes a little getting used to but is great once you have.

I like the voice search function, although it doesn't understand my 4 year old son when he wants to watch "Rusty Rivets", is quite amusing!

I am with Virgin media for internet and the engineer who installed Sky Q said that there can sometimes be issues with the VM HUBs communicating with the Sky Q boxes but I haven't had many issues at all (fingers crossed it stays that way). He did say the latest VM hub was much better.

I upgraded from Sky HD in the lounge and a V+ box in the bedroom to Sky Q with a 2TB and a mini. It's been great especially for the kids as they love being able to see the content images and scrolling through the kids section. Having everything the same on both devices is great too - the minis are essentially just viewing clients to the 2TB Gateway.
The engineer set it up to work over its own Wifi network (mesh) with an additional booster but I switched it to powerline after a while as we'd get periodic issues with the mini not getting all the content all the time and I had a suspicion that this other network interfered with our internet wifi network a bit. Since then I haven't had any issues with either box.
You pay more for Sky Q but you are getting multiroom and Sky Go+ as part of that price. With SKY HD I believe they are additional extras. Not sure what your current price is, so if you're not getting these additional services then its a bit of a bargain. Adding another mini only costs you the initial hire cost too.
Agree the touch remote is poor. Even the engineer said so. Its too easy to press or swipe a bit to the side when you're trying to swipe down and you end up going back up one menu.
Voice control works well too, except for Welsh programmes.... ;)

Hi. Is the cost like for like? I pretty much have the top package on Sky HD.

Also, how many devices (Ipads/phones) can you stream to? Does that Sky Go feature work as it does for sky hd contract?

Last edited by a moderator:
Deffo SkyQ is the way to go. I have had it since Day 1 and while in the beginning there was some connection issues with software updates they seem to have got on top of it. You my need to install a SkyQ booster if having connection issues but Sky do that at no charge if needed.

Visited my Mum last weekend and she has Sky HD and the interface just seemed so dated in comparison to Sky Q.

Had Sky q for 3 months now love the interface not sure of touch remote " horses for courses ". Had main box issue when kept cutting out to blue screen and mini box resetting but after engineer visit and updated software no more issue .As for opinion Sky Q easier interface when searching for programs .

Yup for sure Q is an upgrade over the dated HD box and interface . I spent the last couple of years forever changing motion settings on my tv as I used to get picture judder , no problem with Q on that front and all motion handling off on tv now. UHD content is good ( especially F1 ) and the mini works well also. I've had to reboot a few times and have had part recordings but in the six months I've had Q it is improving on that front. Also voice control actually works quite well. All in all its worth the upgrade.

As for cost , well I got 12 months of Q cheaper than my old HD subs.

Its a good question and as this is avforums,

I have had this now for about 8 months, on the LG Oled the picture is noticeably softer and not as sharp as the SKY HD box but only if the Sky Q box is set to 4k and watching HD Channels.

If you set the main resolution to 1080p its fine, I tend to leave it at 1080P which is kind of stupid as a Sky Q 4k box should look sharper and cleaner at 4k. From many months of viewing various threads/forums this is due to the TV having a better upscaler than the sky q box. Something to bear in mind. Maybe it can be fixed with firmware maybe not.

I've had sky Q since last September and it's flawless for me.I have Virgin media for broadband and use 1200meg home plugs as ethernet will always work better for downloading on demand content especially UHD content...picture and sound are great,the touch remote does are some getting used too,bet overall it's a plesent experience...would never go back to sky hd now...I got a deal for £60 installation and pay £35 for the complete package.

I've had sky Q since last September and it's flawless for me.I have Virgin media for broadband and use 1200meg home plugs as ethernet will always work better for downloading on demand content especially UHD content...picture and sound are great,the touch remote does are some getting used too,bet overall it's a plesent experience...would never go back to sky hd now...I got a deal for £60 installation and pay £35 for the complete package.
That's a great deal, what do you get?

I currently pay £56/month for Sky which to me, looking at your deal is a lot as all I get is the variety package, HD and SKY F1 plus another SKY _+ HD box upstairs

Is there a thread running where people outline what they get and for how much?

Last edited:
I have had Sky Q for over a year now, and apart from a couple of things I miss - like favourite Channels and Reminders, I wouldn't go back at all. I too have the mini box and its fantastic. I can go to bed and carry on watching a recording from the point I left it. The ability to record multiple channels at once is great too. I was forever trying to juggle my recordings, look for the late night repeat of a repeat because it clashed with something else.

There is an increasing amount of 4k movies and Box Sets as well as live F1 and EPL football - no doubt we will see more sports covered in the future but these are the 'big 2' for me. The mini box is only 1080p (still better than 1080i SkyHD offers) but apart from that, it works just like the Sky main box essentially. Everything you can do on the Sky main box, you can do on the mini (apart from watch UHD) so that means set-up, watch, delete any recordings, download any on-demand content to watch etc. Its all stored on the main box but streamed to the mini so I think it works better than the old Multi-room system and a lot tidier too. The mini's are not 'fixed' to a position because of wiring to the Dish and you can add more mini's to the main box too.

I think its superior to SkyHD. Obviously it has everything SkyHD offers, adds multi-room and 4k as well as youtube. I do miss Favourite channels and Reminders and the new layout took a bit of getting used too - thankfully its a bit better now than it was at launch.

To me it's a no brainer - especially if you own, or are planning to get a 4k TV. Even if you haven't yet bought into 4k, Sky Q is better.

That's a great deal, what do you get?

I currently pay £56/month for Sky which to me, looking at your deal is a lot as all I get is the variety package, HD and SKY F1 plus another SKY _+ HD box upstairs

You're getting fleeced. As most of us are. I just threatened to leave (genuine as had enough of price hikes) and now have everything including multiroom (not sports of SkyQ) for £34 / month. It's still not great when you consider new customers get everything and Sky Q for much less than your paying.

Have you not noticed the sticky at the top of this forum? :laugh: HERE or THIS one? However there is a lot of reading to do there and peeps don't generally say whether the price includes BB an phone.
How can it possibly take nearly 800 posts to suggest the best way of getting a good deal?:rotfl: And although the suggested method is mentioned numerous times in that thread, people still ask the question again and again.
There is also one entitled "Cancelling Sky gone wrong" with about a zillion posts as well somewhere.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom