To tilt or not to tilt....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by scoooby, May 20, 2004.

1. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At what height do I need to consider a tilting wall-mount? I suppose if the screen isn't mounted to far above the line of sight and your far enough away a 'flat' wall mount would be fine.. ??

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    It is very often unnecessary to tilt a plasma screen, the only ones i've seen used effectively are when they are mounted above door frames in pubs to keep the punters hands off!!! If your plasma is above a tall fireplace then it's 50/50 if tiltiing is required, it's gonna make more of a difference the closer you are to the panel.

Bear in mind that whether it's tilting or not it is quite painful to watch a plasma that is mounted too high!!! We lowered ours to leave the bottom edge of the panel about waste height (it was only a foot or so higher than that to start with and that felt way too high!) - we've got one sofa on the side wall about 1m away and another on the back wall 4m away.

3. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that.. really good advice and very appreciated.

I should get the screen delivered next Tuesday. In the mean time I may get myself a 42" piece of cardboard and finalise the mounting height!

Trouble is, because my flat is.. as an extate agent would tell you.. 'compact' - I'm having to put our second sofa against the wall where the plasma will hang. ..too low and geusts will be knocking their heads against it and too high and I'll be suffering from soreneckitus.

Just hope screen doesn't fall and take out a visiting family member.. (Almost worth the sacrifice when it comes to the mother-in-law;-)

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have done this before with two single seat sofas under the plasma, and a 3 seater opposite. But we were able to have the singles a foot or so away from the wall to avoid knocks. (if really necessary you could turn the seats around to also face the screen - was a squeeze though in the flat this went in!).

Good Luck!!

5. janmolby

janmolby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What are Unicol and Vogel brackets like?