1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To tilt or not to tilt.....(PV500 and others)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by puntograle, Jun 14, 2005.

1. puntograle

puntograle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm intending to purchase a plasma to go on top of a fireplace (no fire in it at the moment).

We have a fairly tall fireplace and so the plasma will end up being quite high when the viewer is seated. Therefore I was considering getting a slightly tilting bracket.

I found the following picture on another thread which is probably exactly what I am thinking of:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14813

Of course, the PV500 doesn't help by having a bulging 'bum' at the back just where you would need space for tilting and not protrude too much from the wall.

However, while speaking to the 'not so knowledgeable looking' chap at the panasonic shop, he advised that tilting plasmas is not a good idea. Something about LCDs being able to support it, but plasmas can get damaged if installed tilted. He also referred to the storage requirements for plasma screens and them needing to be stored upright all the time. Of course, he couldn't be specific about why this is a problem...

Any experience on this out there? Does it sound reasonable?

Thanks.

2. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi mate plasmas should never be stored or transported flat as there is a good chance the panel may break.I cant see anything wrong in tilting a plasma slightly forward.There are plenty of experts on here who will answer your tilting question.

Cheers.

Chris...