1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To those who upgraded to AV32R DP

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by highlander_777, Feb 6, 2005.

1. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I only have a SP AV32R.

I am interested in those people who upgraded to the DP and ran the calibration software. What sort changes did you actually make?

For example, I measure the distance from where I sit to the centre speaker and the sound is not punchy enough?.

Any feedback would be useful

thanks

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Highlander 777,
    I have a similar problem but I’m fairly sure it’s more a property of the room and speaker positions than the processor. The equalisation software made a big difference in that it allowed me to have some base below 30Hz when the subs were in the previous position and it tamed the serious excess (windows and fixtures rattling) when I moved them to the corner (wife factor). Is this the kind of problem you’re referring to? If so, then TMREQ makes a big improvement.

The dual processor model definitely does sound more live but I have to say it wasn’t the quantum leap I was expecting. However, when you get the version of the software that runs ProLogic IIx there is a very distinct difference. I’d rate that licence as a Best Buy. You’ll need to spend some buck to get there buy it will still be cheaper than other serious approaches to getting that I think punch you seek.

Tell us what else you're using and about the room itself.

3. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the great advantages of a TMREQ'd system I found was that the sound is so much more even accross the whole frequency range that you can comfortably run the system at a greater volume (and more punch and dynamics as a result) without having those moments when a certain frequency overpowers the others and you have to reach for the volume control. It just sounds more natural at all volume levels, but really shines when you're playing loud!

4. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just bought some new speakers

Audica (very nice) floorstanders and Centre. In the shop I the dialogue was very clear and loud. My issue is that I can turn up the sound but then everything is too loud. I suppose that I would like to understand more about calibrating the centre speaker to be louder and the two front speakers

Also, I bought a new sub. M&K KX9 which does not seem to be on general release. in fact there are no spec on their web site but it sounds good and is very compact

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hiya.
    Basically TMREQ and its associated wizard and measuring software finds the peaks in any speakers frequency range and allows you to apply several different types of filters to any particular spot in the measured range, therefore taming those peaks which depending on your room can be quite large, therefore allowing the speakers to integrate properly with your room, extra volume and stuff all falls out of proper balancing with TMREQ.

6. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Sorry to jump in on this thread, but as we are talking about DP and TMREQ, I have a question.

Due to the layout of my room, my left and right speakers do not sit the same (ie: left is away from wall and the right isnt).

When using the TMREQ wizard to filter the peaks, the target level is way different for each speaker.

As the left is away from the wall I have very few peaks (I think 3 or 4) and the target level was very low (around 75db). The right, however has many peaks (around 12!!!!!!) and the lowest target level I could use was around 84db.

Now, it all sounds very nice indeed but should they both be TMREQ'd to the same level or does it not matter?

Regards

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    highlander TMREQ is the biggest single improvement to the audio side of your system you can make :) Here is what it does; all your speakers have an ideal flat frequency response. This is how the speakers would sound in a room with no boundaries or reflective surfaces and in theory is the clearest and purist reproduction of the source material. When you place speakers in a room they interact with it causing reflections and attenuation and reduction of the output level at certain frequencies. This enables you to flatten the response of your speakers. :)