Quantcast

To the self employed - are you worried?

MartinH32

Have to admit for someone who makes a living from photographing weddings this has now got me worried. I'm expecting several cancellations this year. Hopefully I can ride it through - but it's not good for those of us who don't get sick pay!

jrichy

Have to admit for someone who makes a living from photographing weddings this has now got me worried. I'm expecting several cancellations this year. Hopefully I can ride it through - but it's not good for those of us who don't get sick pay!
Im very fortunate enough that in my line of work i could just work 6months a year and be comfy.

That is all going to go out of the pan once IR35 gets into action after the 5th of April.

Rockets

Just keep it in mind it could be worse, couldn't help thinking of this film with your trade.

But yes self employed like us are not going to have a good year unless you are into opportunities.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
You could be OK if the weddings take place like this one Mass wedding in S Korea defies coronavirus fears Photograph 6,000 weddings on one day and you'd be set up for life...;)

officerdibble11

Sales from my online only t-shirt business are through the floor, just had my worst week of sales since I started out 15 years ago, website, ebay, amazon all way down, only etsy slightly up although that was 40% up before all this started to get worse. Barring a miracle I'm not going to be able to pay myself this month.............

MartinH32

Sales from my online only t-shirt business are through the floor, just had my worst week of sales since I started out 15 years ago, website, ebay, amazon all way down, only etsy slightly up although that was 40% up before all this started to get worse. Barring a miracle I'm not going to be able to pay myself this month.............
I think that's the problem isn't. Self employed people equate to 15% of the UK workforce. Lots of small businesses won't survive this. I know myself I've 45 weddings to shoot this year, if I loose 5 I'll struggle.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I'm a photographer and my main client are private schools, so if they close I'll have no income.

But I can pay the bills for about 8 months and my wife has savings, so just avoiding spending money at the moment in case worse comes to worst.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
My wife is a private music teacher and she's made plans for online lessons via Google Hangouts if students are unable to attend for any reason. She teaches in a couple of schools as well and they are also planning for an Italian style lock down if it happens.

I worked for many years in the entertainment industry and a lot of my friends are already struggling, with mass cancellations and limitations on overseas jobs - which many of them rely on. I think it might be a tough few months for them and may extend for much longer if we go into another recession, as the corporate market will dramatically reduce if this is the case - and it supports much of the rest of the industry.

I see Italy has suspended mortgage payments for the month. I doubt our government would be that bold but that would help many self employed people.

rampant

if your self employed you should have already a plan to have enough savings to last 6+ months in case of difficulties.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
if your self employed you should have already a plan to have enough savings to last 6+ months in case of difficulties.
That's easy to say and extremely difficult to do. I bet the majority of employed workers struggle to save 6 months of wages and many self employed are no better off once tax, NI and other working expenses are taken off their income.

We are not just talking about small businesses and professionals like builders and designers, but about 60% of the entertainment, TV and film industries, hairdressers, dog walkers, window cleaners and many others. Once you take off their expenses, many of them are at or below minimum wage.

GadgetObsessed

If I was a self employed virologist I wouldn't be too worried - everyone else though - not so much.

It isnt just the self employed though. Listening to the AVForums podcast they mention what will happen to cinemas if they are closed for a month or two - many would close.

When you start to think about who could be affected, then many businesses could go to the wall - airlines, hotels, shops, etc.

Rockets

Pretty well all businesses will be damaged by this. You could even say airlines, hotels and shops will be affected somewhat less because, it could be relatively short term (unless it transpires that this virus is a permanent fixture each year now).

Supply chains are making big discussions now, a lot of nervousness. No doubt a lot has been put on hold. This lack of investment will have long term effects.

AMc

Distinguished Member
For now I'm OK because I mostly work for a consultancy with clients all over the world. I'm very rarely expected to leave my home office - we do it all over video conference. I'm already self isolated :eek:
But travel bans for the same clients have just caused the company to cancel their European conference in June.
That means a major source of new leads has just dried up.
In the medium term I expect the same end clients will have budget freezes and cuts - that will affect their ability to do new projects which will hit their need for and ability to pay for consulting.
So in the immediate term I'm OK but in a couple of months time the workstream might dry up and I could end up laid off.

I see the Bank of England have just cut the interest rate from 0.75% to 0.25% - not sure that will make much difference to most people's mortgages but I bet the minimal savings rates will get hit.

wiz

Distinguished Member

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
According to a couple of people in the main thread you are a nasty greedy bastard that is putting self interest first, a very nasty trait.

So what if people can't have their photo taken, they will live.

The reality is, it is extremely worrying for a lot of people.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Thats the whole idea - they want you to spend, spend, spend..
Well if you'd all contribute to my fund I'll head off to John Lewis now😁😁

MartinH32

According to a couple of people in the main thread you are a nasty greedy bastard that is putting self interest first, a very nasty trait.

So what if people can't have their photo taken, they will live.

The reality is, it is extremely worrying for a lot of people.
No, I'm not, I just want to feed my kids and pay my mortgage and look after my family like most. And, if putting self interests first is doing that then so be it. Taking photographs has nothing to do with it. The point of the thread was for those self employed, not those who are selfish greedy bastard wedding photographers lol

Amazing how people can jump to conclusions isn't it? I don't doubt it's worrying. I've two members of my family that aren't in the best of health.

Last edited:

MartinH32

Every one has different circumstances and that's quite a general statement. I know a few self employed people who literally are on the breadline and this will really hurt them.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
No, I'm not, I just want to feed my kids and pay my mortgage and look after my family like most. And, if putting self interests first is doing that then so be it. Taking photographs has nothing to do with it. The point of the thread was for those self employed, not those who are selfish greedy bastard wedding photographers lol

Amazing how people can jump to conclusions isn't it? I don't doubt it's worrying. I've two members of my family that aren't in the best of health.
His comments relate to an argument he had with someone else in another thread rather than an attack against you.

Although if you haven’t read the other thread there is no way you’d know that :thumbsdow

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member

I'm completely with you.

The economic consequences of trying to contain the virus will probably do more harm than the virus itself.

I don't think many have a grasp of just how badly this could affect the country. We could see far more deaths from an economic collapse than from the virus itself and over a far, far longer time period.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
By the way, it is not just self employed, it is small business, medium businesses and some pretty large businesses too.

I was speaking to someone from Intu last night, the shopping mall chain, Trafford Centre, Lakeside and loads all over the UK.
He was saying that unless things pick up pretty damned sharp, they have around 2-3 weeks left before going pop. They desperately need some cash injection, but who is going to give that now?

That is 10's of thousands of people without a job in weeks, the knock on effect of that can't be underestimated.

But, we have a handful of people who can work from home shouting "lock everything down now!"

gangzoom

But, we have a handful of people who can work from home shouting "lock everything down now!"
Actually its the head of the WHO saying that.

Let's not forget the WHO have delt with their fair share of viral disease outbreaks in recent years, their efforts during the Ebola crisis no doubt saved countless lives. I've never seen them issue such condemnation of inactivity before on any government.

Ofcourse our idiot politicians think they know better.....

The Italian priminster is comparing what's going on in their country to a war, and that's no a bad comparison.

How did the buissness/nation get through WWII?? I don't know I wasn't alive back than, and I suspect no one in government was either. The next few weeks will be crucial, regardless what anyone thinks the right thing to do is next 2020 is going to be a year no one forgets in a hurry.

Last edited:

Latest News

TV shipment forecasts slashed for Q2 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Display to quit LCD production
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony XH81, XH80 and X70 TVs now available in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV sales rise as UK stays home