Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

To start again or not to start again.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rulocal, Oct 21, 2003.

1. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I have a stereo set up that I have built up over the last two years through the second hand market. It consists of the following.

Cyrus CD7Q CD Player
    Arcam A85 Amp
    Quad 11l Speakers
    QED XT400 Speaker cable
    Van Den Hul Interconnect

I am more than happy with the sound but am being tempted by going 5.1 or even 6.1 having just moved into a new flat and bought a Panasonic 32PD30 and Sony DVPNS930, which having looked at various threads Re the PD30 have been lucky and got an excellent sample exhibiting none of the mentioned problems.

My dilemma is as follows. Do I:-

1) Wait for funds to become availabe and get with my budget of £600-700 a Quad Centre + pair of rears (suggestinos for good match welcome although they must be discrete) and a £300 receiver to run with the Arcam powering the fronts through the AV receivers preouts. Sub could be added at a later date.

2) Sell Hifi which I think would raise about £1,500 and go solely for an AV setup. If I do go for this route I know I will miss the 'HiFI' sound but can anyone suggest an Amp/SPeaker setup that would deliver a good comporomise. Bear in mind I am limited to discrete (wallmounts/sattelites) rears and would initially be using the SOny DVD as the CD player. In time I might add a £300 CD player or a DAC to the DVD if I thought this would be noticed gurther up the chain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi paul
    Go for no1 you will get the hifi sound you need + will have a decent surround system when finely finished,you would have to spend a packet to get an av system that would match your hifi for stereo sound.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. UZUBAIRU

UZUBAIRU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Paul,
    I second gonzo's comments.
    I've got the same amp, cd player and speaker cable for stereo duties and a pioneer vsx 2011 for surround duties, powering centre and rears.
    Given our budget it was the best solution.

Umu

4. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    start again, it is much more fun!!!