To Standby or Not to Standby, that is the question?

Angusg

Standard Member
Just a quick question out of curiosity guys.

When your not using your SkyHD or telly, do you turn the box off (at the socket) or do you just leave it on stand by?

Apart from saving power, is there any known issues with actually turning the SkyHd box off.

The reason I ask, is that I would prefer to do this (turn it off that is), but a couple of years back, I killed an old digibox by turning it off whilst I went away on holiday! When I came back the fracking thing wouldn't power back up again!

Since then I've always been wary about powering the Sat box off. Is it best not to do this or am I just being over paranoid?

cheers

Angus

stockyvillage

Novice Member
sky recommend leaving them on standby.I have a digibox in my mobile home i switch this one off when i am not there and when i put it on it starts freezing but a reboot sorts this out but at home i leave the hd box on standby and never have this problem

SimplyGed

Novice Member
Just a quick question out of curiosity guys.

When your not using your SkyHD or telly, do you turn the box off (at the socket) or do you just leave it on stand by?

Apart from saving power, is there any known issues with actually turning the SkyHd box off.

The reason I ask, is that I would prefer to do this (turn it off that is), but a couple of years back, I killed an old digibox by turning it off whilst I went away on holiday! When I came back the fracking thing wouldn't power back up again!

Since then I've always been wary about powering the Sat box off. Is it best not to do this or am I just being over paranoid?

cheers

Angus
If you turn it off at the socket, Sky+ won't record.
If it is on standby, it will still record your programs when they are broadcast.

I leave mine on all the time, but I turned it onto standby when I got the TV room redecorated. All my programs were recorded and available when I took it out of standby.

HTH

pwood

Leave on standby when not in use.

Same goes for TV's to be honest. It might use energy but the on/off switches are of poor quality in a lot of sets and repeated switching can lead to premature failure. not expensive to fix in most cases but worth bearing in mind.

More energy can be saved in the house hold by only filling the kettle with enough water for the number of cups of coffee/tea etc required.

Angusg

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll just leave the box on standby and not worry about it :)

I know what you mean about tv's having rubbish power switches. I don't even think my main tv has one :rolleyes:

DaddyDee

Novice Member
I never really put my sky box into stand by at all, its always left on. I just turn the TV off. Apart from using more power are there other reasons why I should put it into stand by mode ?

Mike Groves

I never really put my sky box into stand by at all, its always left on. I just turn the TV off. Apart from using more power are there other reasons why I should put it into stand by mode ?
The hard drive might last longer?

marshall_nathan

Novice Member
Hi folks.I think the main problem of keeping electric staff like tv or digibox in stand by is:FIRE.I have a very usefull visit from the fire brigade and they told me if you live everithing on stand by is like there are on.So after i personally switch everithing of[only if i record somthing].Better safe then sorry.

bob1

Leave on standby when not in use.

More energy can be saved in the house hold by only filling the kettle with enough water for the number of cups of coffee/tea etc required.
There was a thread on this sometime back and it was found out that a sky box uses allmost as much power in standby as when switched on ,would you leave a light bulb on 24/7.

logiclee

bob1

logiclee

That will make it last longer.
Compared to leaving it on or unplugging it? ;)

It spins whether it's on or in standby.

Cheers
Lee

Billy Hunt

When I turn my STB into standby you can hear a whirr and a faint click which sounds very much like a Hard drive powering down.

neilmcl

One point that hasn't yet been mentioned is the telephone connection issue. The box must be at least in standby for Sky to contact it so you may fall foul of the contractual phone connection requirement but fully turning the box off.

SimplyGed

Novice Member
One point that hasn't yet been mentioned is the telephone connection issue. The box must be at least in standby for Sky to contact it so you may fall foul of the contractual phone connection requirement but flly turning the box off.
I doubt they would only try once, before they say something.
I'd imagine they try at least 3 times, at different times of the day.
I bet they've got data on when your viewing card is used and can try when you are most likely to be watching/recording something - so I don;t think the phone line is an issue

bob1

If your still under contract not only does the box need to be connected to the phone line it needs to be connected to the mains supply,that was the out come of the last time this came up.

modeller

Standard Member
For me standby does power down the disk .. so that saves 12W or so.

But my box kicks out a lot of heat, so I would guess 75+Watts .. so that's ~2KW/h (units) per day .. or 730Kw/h per year .. @10p per Kw/h it starts to add up!

They could easily make the box more power efficient .. but the priority is to make it cheap.

steve

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom