To roller-blind or no to roller-blind

Jonnywishbone

Hello fellow AV enthusiasts,

I have decided to step up to the bigger screen and will shortly be placing an order for the highly regarded HD200x with free 84" screen.

Problem is I need a bigger screen that also doubles up as a blackout blind!

The plan is to sell the 84" free screen to my bro and use the money to buy a rollerblind (blackout) as recommended by this blog...

Projector Blinds for the Home Cinama :: A Guide from Blinds 2go :: Blinds 2go :: The Blog

Also - do I go grey or stay white? The PJ (HD200x) will be ceiling mounted approx 4m from the screen with low to very low light levels (converted single garage with blackout blinds).

Now, the blog is convincing but am I missing something here - will the difference from a purpose built PJ screen really make a difference, or should I just go for it!

philbot

looks good - I've just recieved a couple of samples from their range:

Valencia Grey which is normal blind material

and Ocean Dove Grey which is blackout material

at that price it's worth a try I reckon!

Jonnywishbone

I took the plunge and ordered my first PJ (hd200x) along with a ocean dove grey blackout rollerblind last night - will update with pics and opinions when installed...:D

philbot

great can't wait to see it

Jonnywishbone

HD200x arrived yesterday with the free 84" optoma screen.

I have done a interim set up with the free screen until my roller blind is delivered and I have to say I am very impressed so far (without any changes to settings).

I will taker some pics of both set ups with the same image and lighting conditions for a fair comparison.

Watch this space :D

philbot

I'm watching.... :)

Jonnywishbone

:mad:Not too impressed to be perfectly honest - I ordered the ocean dove grey on the basis that I would be playing/watching HD content.

I can see reflective horizontal lines at nearly every angle toward the centre of the screen on everything I put through it - laptop via hdmi/ps3 via hdmi/xbox 360 via hdmi. However when i reduce the screen size using the zoom wheel it clears it up but not completely.

The free optoma screen is miles better but too small for an imersive home cinema/gaming experience. (my blind is 2.35m width)

Considering a second blind, this time in matte white (although you'll have to wait alot longer for pics)

I promised pics and I will try and get them done this week...

MMaatttt

Thanks. I've ordered samples, but I will look seriously at a better screen now. Keep us informed if you get the white screen!

MMaatttt

My samples came through today. Very quick turnaround I must say. I haven't tried projecting against them yet, but I will say that as blackout blind material, the ocean alpine white is slightly better than the sevilla white. In a dark room, I couldn't see a powerful torch through it at all. :cool: The sevilla was good, but you could just see the torch.

I've ordered some more samples as, though I probably won't be using them as a screen, I'll almost certainly use them for light control.

MMaatttt

Got a second batch through. Here's my expanded list of light control power (using the bright torch in a dark room test).

Ocean Ebony is a perfect block.
Ocean Alpine While is a perfect block.
Sevilla Grey is a perfect block.
Sevilla While lets a tiny amount of light through.
Blackout white lets a very small amount of light through.

Jonnywishbone

I have just bought a 2m wide tuppler blackout blind from ikea £22.90 (mostly out of curiosity) and I have to say I am very impressed. As good as the free optoma screen I got with the HD200X and bigger too. Certainly better than the dove grey! Shame they don't make them bigger.

So what have I learnt from all this?

If budget is a problem then sacrifice on size and go for the tuppler 2m.;)

If your just being tight then just bite the bullett and go for a mid-priced dedicated purpose built screen, or custom build.

If money is no object then go for a dedicated purpose built screen.

philbot

you don't think white is too bright?

Jonnywishbone

there is a thread on here with pics where someone has done something similar. I think it was with Tupplar blinds!

Trending threads

Top Bottom