1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To replace a Cyrus 1?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ronsealdeath, Feb 26, 2003.

1. ronsealdeath

ronsealdeath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Cyrus 1 has bitten the dust finally and i need to replace it with something with a remote that will cost under £200! Can it be done? will todays amps give me the control, precision and timing of the Cyrus? I was thinking the Marantz pm 4000 or 4200, does anyone have an idea how these will sound compared to the Cyrus? I listen to fast paced punk rock and drum and bass but i love a smooth, controlled sound from my HiFi.

Thanks

Marantz CD6000 OSE
    Cyrus 1 (now broken boo hoo)
    Heybrook HB1 speakers (circa 1986!)
    Vivanco Prowire interconnects
    Monster speaker cable

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Cheepest good amp with a remote control would probably be the NAD C320BEE (SRP £220). If you can live without the remote ... also take a listen to the Rotel RA01.

I think these would be nicer / smoother replacement for your Cyrus 1 than the Marantz.

If you can stretch a little further ... you'll be looking at Arcam A65+, then A75+ along with Rotel RA02, NAD C350 and C370.

Vikki

3. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi There,

Can thoroughly recommend the Rotel RA-01. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now teamed up with my Cyrus daD7 CD player and they sound superb together. The little Rotel is such a detailed little amp with exceptional timing. I enjoy listening to it more everyday and for the money it really can't be beaten.

Cheers

Dave

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps any, I have a mint condition NAD C320 (with remote control!) sitting down in my basement sitting room not even connected to a source... it's a cracking sounding amp. If you wanted to arrange a deal on it, fire away with an offer :)

I don't have the box but do have an NAD phono stage box (worth £40 or £50) that I'd be happy to throw in for free.

5. ronsealdeath

ronsealdeath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, i'm going into my local sevenoaks to try out the Rotel next week, hopefully it will fit the bill.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Probably going to get told off for this ... but if you like the Rotel, I have a RA-1060 for sale...