Answered To replace a 42” Panasonic plasma or not!

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by tontoshorse, Jul 17, 2018.

1. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Hello, I’m looking to replace (or not) our TH42PX80 for something a little larger. Maximum size is 55 (“and not an inch more mind ...”)
    Viewing distance is around 3m with no real side angle viewing.
    Inputs are BT freeview and an Amazon fire stick.
    The very very top budget is £1200 (and not a penny more mind...!)
    Limited daytime TV.

I’ve looked at the often recommended LG 55B7 but wondered if that’s overkill? But it’s on offer at £1175.
    One of my main concerns is a user friendly interface.

Here’s hoping that the consensus is to stick with the Panny.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by Dodgexander, Jul 17, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    I think you can't go wrong with the LG B7 at that price and it should offer significantly better picture quality than your current TV in all but the poorest quality freeview channels. It also ticks the box for your want of a good smart TV platform.

The worth in getting it would be when you use high quality sources so if you do, be sure to back it up with sources that will make it shine, I guess you are an amazon prime member so already you will get HDR on some shows from the built in Amazon app, you could consider netflix too and perhaps even an UHD Blu-Ray player or an apple TV in the future. That way you get the most out of the TV compared to your normal day to day TV watching which will at best be average :)

4. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Thanks for that, I’ve read so much “advice” lately that my head hurts and have even considered a 2018 Hisense 50” as it fits the size issue better than the 55 - of which I know I’ll get grief once it’s in place ;)
    It’s a pity that the choice at 49-50 is limited.

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Best Answer
    If you want a smaller TV there is the new Sony 49XF9005 but it carries quite a premium still. Its not as good as the OLEDs and it certainly isn't good value right now but if you aren't in a rush to buy if you track its pricing in the upcoming 9-10 months you may find it as cheap as £800 which is what the 49XE9005 was available for not so long ago before it sold out.

I would certainly say in your position, if you can get the LG B7 I would, I feel like I would regret it otherwise at that price!

6. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    That Sony is £974 and 5% cash back with the coop. Damned awful feet though.
    Nothing is simple these days! Especially when the choice appears to be huge and the tech attached to various models is bewildering.
    Is there a visual quality level that shouldn’t be considered given that I’m coming from a 42” 720 plasma?

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Yes it's pretty overpriced, I'd look to pick it up at nearer the £800 mark rather than £1000, also try to get it from a retailer with a 5 year warranty.

It's just been released which is why the price is so high still.

Feet you can overcome by buying your own stand or wall mounting. You can get anything from new TV furniture with stands included to a simple table top stand, they fit to the wall mounting holes behind the TV and can be found as cheap as £20 on eBay.

It's hard to know how you would compare getting a lower end TV compared to your Plasma but I will say you will find you take some steps back no matter what you get, especially if you view poorer quality sources. At least by getting the Sony you will get a TV that has good HDR too, so when you do use HDR it looks good and somewhat eliviates the fact that older, poorer sources probably will look better on your old TV.

But this is my opinion, some people find the jump tremendous and don't look back at all, its very subjective and I wish it was easier nowadays to go to a shop to make fair comparisons with your own content like it perhaps once was.

8. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Many thanks, appreciate your advice. Gone are the days when you could just buy a large magnifying glass from Exchange and Mart to place in front of the telly...

9. BobTheViewer

BobTheViewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I went from 42" plasma to 55EZ952 loving it,

I went outlet on my set at £1k, today the LG is a better buy at £1,200 with 5/6 year warranty

The plasma was a 49" set with a 42" screen going to 55.5" with a 55" screen feels right.
    A new 50" would have looked too small and the move to 65" needs the room arranging different.

Most of the time the picture is better, brighter etc. and the OH is happy at this size.
    Some poor quality stuff does not look that nice, we tend to avoid it and look for HD channels on freeview or feed from a NOWTV or the internet using the iplayers.

10. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Well, gone and pressed the button for the LG 55b7 plus cabinet from RS. Any flack that comes my way will be tackled with the above quotes!
    Many thanks for all the input.