To repair a broken Yamaha RXV1800 or buy an Onkyo txsr609

niktheguru

Standard Member
Hey guys. I need a little help
I've owned a yamaha rxv1800 for just over 2 years and a few weeks ago it decided to die on me (turns on briefly then shorts out) I tried disconnecting everything and turning it on but to no avail.

Contacted yamaha uk, who gave me details of 2 service centres in the south west, one in plymouth who never pick up their phone and never return answer phone messages, and one in exeter who has decided to go on holiday for 2 weeks and only works small hours during weekdays. I've given it to a local repair firm and they are looking at it but i don't know if they will be able to fix it and if they can how much they'll end up charging me.

My issue is, if they quote me over £100 to fix it, i'm thinking about buying a new amp instead. I've been tempted by the new onkyo 609 amp that is just being released now.

My question for you guys, which amp would be better? Is it worth fixing the yamaha, or would a new onkyo give me better sound?

Any help/opinions welcomed.

Thanks!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What speakers do you have?
Onkyo sounds a fair bit different to your current Yamaha so may or may not be to your test. I would demo first and let your own ears decide.

niktheguru

Standard Member
I have some kef 5005.2. Have always been happy with the sound from the tanaka. I mainly use the amp for blurays and for sky hd. Tv just feels empty without a working amp!

In what way do the onkyos differ in their sound?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Onkyos are said to produce a brighter sound compared to your Yamaha. This will mean it will appear to have more treble (less bass). This can sound more alive and detailed but can also sound a little thin (especially with music). Considering your use this may not be a bad thing as brighter sounding equipment is said to be better with movies. Your Kef speakers are reasonably neutral sounding so would not be a problem with the Onkyo but you should demo first to make sure it is to your personal taste.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom