To rent or not to rent ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jimmylad, Jul 5, 2002.

1. jimmylad

jimmylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought buying a tv would be easy but having read the threads I'm more confused than ever. I'm after a largish RPTV but it seems as though this could be a potential minefield !

I'm wondering whether to rent for a couple of years until plasma gets more affordable and the technology gets better. (You'd think that Plamsa would be the dogs b*llox but not after reading this N / G)

So do I buy outright & risk a dud or rent which could still be a dud but at least you have more redress.

If i rented at say £30 for 2 years (& peace of mind) which =£720 then maybe the plasmas will be "perfect" and come down a couple of grand too!

Mind you.......... a new format will be out I expect by then making plasma look antiquated so you'll still be shelling out thousands to be at the forefront of technology which is still far from being perfect!!!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I assume you mean £30 pound a month, Box clever charge £50+ a moth for a 32" flat crt, I dont think they even know what an RPTV is, You buy a good used one in the classifieds, cpeaper for 2 years evenat £30 a month, if you can get them that cheap. If you can, it probably will be a dud.

3. Sarge

Sarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I used to rent a sony 32" home cinema system from box direct - started out good value but now its old hat and they don't have anything better available - so i'll probably buy.

On saying that - reliance electrical (derby but i think part of a chain) would do a sony 32ls60 + video + portable tv for £40 a month so tv on its own would be £30 - 18month contract is normal after that period they will reduce the cost for shorter terms i.e 15% off for a 6 month extension - same as box clever.

Its not bad really -but I think I will buy one of the new sony picture frames out in august - keep that for 2 years and then sell it if plasmas have come down in price.

cheers Matt

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not to rent! :eek: