1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to put speakers behind the screen or not?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Tonmeistermat, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had a look at quite a few postings on this forum about garage conversions and such like, and whilst I'm steamingly JEALOUS of you guys, one thing I've noticed is that everyone seems to have their speakers outside of the screen. ie, the main left and rights as wide as possible and the centre either below or above the screen. In every cinema the speakers are located behind the screen, and films are mixed such that the sound for things that pan across the screen pans with them. It is possible to get acousticaly transparent screens, and with a bit of eq the speakers can sound correct, so I was wondering why no-one seems to do this?

As I'm relatively new to the world of home cinema it could be that I've missed something blindingly obvious, so please don't flame me too much! :D

Mat

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I think its because acoustically transparent screens are pretty expensive and the image quality suffers.

3. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the other thing about acusticly transparent screens is its not ideal to use them with lcd projectors,something to do with pixels diapearing throug the holes.with a crt or film projector you dont get this proplem.

4. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd forgotten about the fact that LCD projectors don't work so well on film perforated screens... still seems strange to me though: a small sacrifice in picture quality to achieve a realistic and coherant sound-stage doesn't seem so bad... but I am a sound person first and formost! :)

5. WB5OXQ

WB5OXQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just installed a home theater with in wall speakers behind the screen. The screen is a white fabric which is pretty much acoustically transparent. The screen sice is 105" diag and I use a 1000 lumen Sanyo 720p lcd projector. There is no noticable video loss and the picture is very bright and clear. The sound seems very good through the screen and not muffled to me. The speakers are 8" 2 way M&S premium models. The sound system is powered by a 100 watt per channel Denon 7.1 av 880. The screen was purchased from a dealer on Ebay for under 300.00 shipped.

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You would still get a realistic and coherant sound-stage with the speakers in front of the screen :confused:.

I have M&K S-150s that at 31 inches high on their ST1 stands are still below the level of my screen. Suppose it depends on ceiling height and screen size.

I will be building a new extension for my room in the new year and I have thought long and hard about having a false screen wall. to hide the speakers.
    I have decided not to bother.
    I will accoustically treat my screen wall with 4" Auralex wedges and lenrds base traps and will have to build a false wall at around 6" in front of the treatment. If I wanted to hide the speakers I would have to build it another 2 foot out at least due to the size of the subwoofer. It is too much room to lose.