1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Pronto or not to Pronto

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by fredbloggs, Dec 12, 2002.

1. fredbloggs

fredbloggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh 32ZD26 on the way which i'll be hooking up to my Panny SC-HT80, along with a Panny Sky Digital Box, a Sony Video, closely placed near my seperates Hi-fi system (varying units - 4 in total).

As people will be aware REMOTE CONTROL CITY, my other half is doing her nut.mad:

Is £150 for a Pronto really worth it, i've seen them at www.richersounds.co.uk and have found a few places on the net but I can't make my mind up.

Also, no docking station is including, they are another £35 on top.

Any advice, tips or links to anything would be appreciated::)

2. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I wouldn't be without my Pronto any more.

I have the docking station, but a lot of people don't and manage perfectly well. You can get a battery charger and 4 batteries for less. I find it is nice to have a standard place for it to live when not in use though.

You need to check out www.remotecentral.com for detailed info. There is loads of stuff there (forums, downloads, reviews etc.)

3. fredbloggs

fredbloggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, i will check that site out.

How do you find the range, in other words do you have to point it direct to the equipment ???.

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pronto direction is unbelievable, you can point it anywhere and it will reach its target.

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Pronto is the most useful part of my setup which is rather elaborate. In fact the complicated your system gets, the more you need pronto. I don't have the docking station and don't miss it. It's versatility and functionality are endless. The long macros, timers set up to do various things at various times, programmed multiroom functions etc have made it an absolute can't live without item. I pray that it doesn't ever pack up.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I originally thought that a Pronto was a hugely expensive luxury but changed my mind after I bought one and now wouldn't be without it.

7. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ive got a nice colour screen one coming for christmas. cant wait.:D

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive owned the pronto, pronto neo and also Compaq iPaq with CF IR extender for the Pro look.

Apart from the neo they well all excellent machines with fantastic IR range.

Now I have a One-for-All Kameleon which I've found to be far more functional (for me) than all the above.

My equipment list is extensive but most important of all it also controls my teleworst cable box.
    If you need the feel of buttons then I would highly recomend it.
    Otherwise you can't go wrong with the pronto.

9. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get a pronto asap, you'll love it

10. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I purchased the Pronto NEO from Richer Sounds but had an issue with it in Macro mode - basically I couldn't get it to turn on my TV and then switch to the AV channel for Sky.

I spoke tp Pronto customer support (who I found very very poor). They had no idea why I was having this problem and escualted it to Philips HQ and informed me that I would have a response within 5 working days - oh yeah???

4 weeks later and I've still received nothing - since then the Pronto NEO has been returned to Richer Sounds for a full refund with no hassle - thay are excellent for this :)

Another issue I had with the Pronto NEO was trying to get it to learn different remotes - I tried all the different tricks but it was still a real struggled / pain in the rear:-(

I was tempted to buy the model above the NEO (just called 'Pronto') which everyone seems to praise looking at these threads - but I'm still a little nervous given my NEO experience.

Tim:eek: