1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To project or not

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AndyGB, Sep 1, 2002.

1. AndyGB

AndyGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm thinking of buying a projector, however £3k is a lot of money just to watch a few DVD's on. I'm assuming I can connect the projector up to my amp and switch any video signal through it ?

However if say the kids are wanting to watch Nick Jnr in the afternoon would we have to pull the curtains to darken the room or are projectors capable of sending a bright enough picture to cope with a room in daylight ? The projector would probably be only 8 feet away from the screen, would this make a difference ?

Thanks

Andy

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I would say yes to closing the curtains :( not many projectors are bright enough for daylight viewing, and when they are they have been designed to be used for data projecting and not for tv viewing.

3. AndyGB

AndyGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tim, looks like I'll be sticking with a widesceen TV then.

I don't think my wife would be too impressed if I told her we had to pull the curtains everytime we wanted to watch TV :)

Andy

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a projector doesnt have to cost £3k mind you....... you can easily get a good set up for half of that....... and keep the widescreen too! ;)

ad

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Andy

We use a Sony 28" widescreen tv for normal viewing and the big screen for dvd and the odd programme like Star Trek, or like tonight we will be watching NottingHill on Ch4, but we always pull the curtains even at night.

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    If you already own an AV amp and speakers, you could upgrade to a projector setup for less than £2000

Panasonic AE100 projector £1300
    Toshiba sd-510 dvd player for region 1 progressive playback. £300
    Componant and s-video Cables under £100.
    80" wide Screen for about £250.

This is what I did :)

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you wanted to watch movies in the day time then I would probably expect you would need a projector which had at least 2000 lumen output, these units are not cheap from what I can see.

The only other thing to try would be to mount the rolldown screen above the window in your living room. Obviously when the screen is down then it should cut out alot of the light, as long as the screen has blackout material at the back projecting an image shouuld look quite ok perhaps.

although its a lot of money to spend and find out it cant be done!.

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    WARNING : Once you have tried a projector there is no going back to a TV, curtains or not !

AND: a few DVDs tends to turn into a shelf full!

No more going to the cinema.

8 foot will have to be 20, so thats a wall knocked down.

Get the idea
    :D

9. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    once you have the choice, between a 28" TV or an 8ft picture, then its always the bigger.

This for me means after about 8 each night the Tv is off the PJ is on and the screen pulled doen in front of the TV.

there is no going back

and if the football or F1 is on then curtains are pulled. daytime or not.

Do it, its the best 2K you could spend on your AV setup

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would agree........ if you can afford £2k, go for it. I spent alot of what i had available on my projector set up, even only watching 2 or 3 films a week, the big screen just cannot be beaten and i haven't once regretted spending my money on it.

Ad

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude, once you've tried a projector there's no going back, there's just no going back.

Your DVD collection will skyrocket, suddenly every DVD becomes like your own personal little cinema reel copy, it's worth dishing out for discs when you can get _that_ much of a picture out of them. People talk about home cinema with CRT's or Plasmas but the truth is, the only real home cinema is with projectors and once you're accustomed to that big screen even top shelf Plasma's don't look impressive, personally I used to go to the flicks all the time, but now that I have a PJ, I never go, it's like have a Gold Class cinema at home.

12. AndyGB

AndyGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think some serious persuading is in order at our house.

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Take your wife to see a PJ demo at a decent dealer. No more convincing needed.

14. AndyGB

AndyGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately she's not into this sort of thing the same way I am. She took some convincing in order to get a 32" W/S TV.

As for the TIVO, I just bought it without telling her. Her reaction would have been "whats the point we've got a video", of course now she wouldn't want to give it up of course. Can't really do that with a projector and screen.

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you meant, but the best HC setups use CRTs.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Kramer, I'm sure he just means CRT TV, any projector is more bangs for your bucks than any TV.

As to persuading the other half, I think we've all been there. Almost everyone will say the same. Initially, '2 grand, draw the curtains, fuss around with more remote contol buttons, screens etc - you must be joking!' When they see it go, get a home demo to show her this, it's another matter. A nice bit of shakespeare in love, or Moulin Rouge, a glass or two of wine and she'll be putty in your hands, I promise!